REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #8451
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
- Current road conditions? Don't have a set of winter tires which I believe are mandatory, but we may just test our luck and hope for no road blocks. I'm currently on Pilot A/S 3s
Seriously? It's people like this who really piss off us locals who rely on the highway, and have to endure closures and death because people are too stupid to run winter tires on a winter-rated mountain road...and drive to the conditions on hand.

So, hypothetically, what happens if you drive up to whistler in two weeks time and the road is dry and safe, but on the day of your departure we get a late March snow or temp drop? Are you going to book into your hotel an extra day, call work and let them know you won't be able to make it? No, you're going to "take it easy" and try and drive home, possibly get in an accident and close the highway off for everyone else who's just trying to commute on the only damned road available to us.

GRRRR

</OldMan>

Seriously, there is a reason they changed the law from "good tires with chains in the trunk" to "mandatory snowflake rated winter tires". It was to try and reduce the number of accidents by ill-prepared drivers.

March averages 279cm of snow over the last ten years, that's more than January or February. And that snow does come down to the village level occasionally, and into the Canyon, and on the Murrin Park hill, and on Powerline hill, and...and...and...

FWIW, if you do have an accident that tire choice may have contributed to it's going to hurt your insurance rates moving forward.

</rant>

Edit: and yes, I 'allegedly' speed on the highway. And yes, I have 'allegedly' occasionally taken a classic on the highway for a day trip on Summer tires in the winter. But speed is a decision made based on road conditions, traffic and potential hazards...adjusted for accordingly. If I've ever driven on the highway on tires which perhaps aren't legal by the winter rules, it's been on a +10C or more day, one-way or on a day trip...and always with a backup plan should conditions change. This Sunday, for instance, I'd love to go to the spring meet on the summer tires. If it's raining or cold, though, I'll be running winter's with crappy wheels.

My annoyance would be much different if you weren't traveling the highway and staying overnight.
Advertisement
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #8452
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
What cheeses me off is that I've put good money into ensuring I have a solid vehicle with good tires for going to/from the ski hill and over mountain passes, yet I'm constantly getting stuck behind walnuts who are willing to "test their luck" with their shitty vehicles and shitty tires.

I've had to dodge a few accidents as well, so personally I think anyone willing to risk the lives of others because they're some combination of too stupid and too lazy to do things properly can go fuck themselves. Do it right or don't do it at all, if you can afford to ski you can afford good tires.

*disclaimer: my experience is from driving to Big White and over the Coq, from my understanding Whistler is an easier drive but more unpredictable.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #8453
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,239 Times in 571 Posts
Since we're on the topic of driving to Whistler, how are the road conditions during the last week of April or first week of May to Whistler Village?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #8454

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Since we're on the topic of driving to Whistler, how are the road conditions during the last week of April or first week of May to Whistler Village?
Historically, very good and summer like. If it rains, it's wet but not snowy or icy.

In general April 1-15 can have interesting moments if it rains, and you have to watch the temps and elevation temps carefully. April 15-30 is basically summer driving with very little to worry about. Wet sea to sky is always slippery sea to sky, especially in Lions Bay, Powerline Hill near Whistler and a few other unique spots regardless of the time of year.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 PM   #8455
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Lol I remember a few years ago when we had a lot of snow fall, I took my truck to whistler which was fitted with snow tires, and on the way up it was like single file going super slow on two lane highway. I changed lanes onto the fresh virgin lane of snow, paved tracks and all the trucks followed me passing everyone, like a boss.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #8456
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,494 Times in 4,891 Posts
Happy Pi day, RS!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #8457
MG1

Went shopping and picked up a Pecan Pie!

All bakeries should sell pies for $3.14 on Pi day.

Woman asked me today why today is Pi day? I said, you must have missed that part in math class........... she was an older woman, so I didn't even bother trying to explain it further. Ignorance is bliss....... btw, next big day is 420!

Vansterdam?????

Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #8458
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Happy Pi day, RS!
dammit completely forgot! less than 1 hour left now.....
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #8459
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
lol sorry for pissing y'all off but thanks for the insight!!

In regards to my second question, would you guys say taping up the car is rather unnecessary or are the roads pretty bad?
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #8460
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,550 Times in 4,312 Posts
HAPPY SPRING!!!!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #8461

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
HAPPY SPRING!!!!
Doesn't look like it outside
Old 03-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #8462

I'll take it, just for the extra daylight.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #8463
MG1

Another senseless attack on innocent civilians by terrorists.

Fucking losers. Attacking the western world because of who we are and what we represent. Instead of building, they destroy. Worse part, in the name of religion, although we all know it's not. Brainless zombies - weak minded, sheep. Jelly and so full of hate. Find a way of bettering your situation without killing. That takes too much work. "Hey, look, we killed 20, 50, 1000 people today - we are great!"

Rest in peace, to the victims.

Trying to make sense of it all is impossible.

Last edited by MG1; 03-22-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:00 AM   #8464
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Phife Dawg of A Tribe Called Quest passed away

Phife Dawg of A Tribe Called Quest Passes Away at 45 | The Source
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #8465
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
Wifey's car, a 2012 Hyundia Elantra needs her transmission fluid changed

are those 10 minute oil changes good enough for a tranny fluid/filter change? personally i've never brought a single vehicle i've owned to them, but i really dont feel like changing her tranny fluid, and for $110 or whatever they want, i'll pay the difference
Old 03-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #8466

I wouldn't take a 20 year old Civic to one of those places for a simple oil change.

I suggest calling a few reputable shops to get a quote for an actual licensed mechanic to do it (which most quick lube places are not). Even if the avg quote is 50% more, I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable knowing a real shop is working on my car.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #8467
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

is there parcel forwarding company near border?
who can receive package then reship to Canada?
want to buy something from US online shopping, only avail in US, only ships to US addy.
I don't want to drive down to Pt Roberts to pick it up.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #8468
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
If you're in Coquitlam, I would highly recommend Coquitlam Imports. I'm not sure how busy he is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #8469
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
From what I can tell a lot of places don't replace the trans filter, just a drain and fill. Hell the Toyota dealership told me they'd only do a drain and fill on my girlfriends Matrix, so I got my buddies shop to squeeze it in since they seemed to be the only ones willing to do it properly.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #8470
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
is there parcel forwarding company near border?
who can receive package then reship to Canada?
want to buy something from US online shopping, only avail in US, only ships to US addy.
I don't want to drive down to Pt Roberts to pick it up.
There are, but it's not cheap.
The shipping place I use (Security Mail Services) has a sign at their shop for these guys. It says $30 on the sign (which I'm assuming is the price they charge to bring your stuff over the border not including any taxes, etc)

White Rock Courier, Your Cross Border Courier and Freight Carrier &ndash; Delta, BC &ndash; SERVICES

Maybe give these courier guys a call and see what they can do for you and their price.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #8471
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
I wouldn't take a 20 year old Civic to one of those places for a simple oil change.

I suggest calling a few reputable shops to get a quote for an actual licensed mechanic to do it (which most quick lube places are not). Even if the avg quote is 50% more, I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable knowing a real shop is working on my car.
A reputable place that will change the transmission and differential oil if I supply my own oil?
beansbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
There are, but it's not cheap.
The shipping place I use (Security Mail Services) has a sign at their shop for these guys. It says $30 on the sign (which I'm assuming is the price they charge to bring your stuff over the border not including any taxes, etc)

White Rock Courier, Your Cross Border Courier and Freight Carrier &ndash; Delta, BC &ndash; SERVICES

Maybe give these courier guys a call and see what they can do for you and their price.

Some options, I've got classic car buddies that use each of them with good reviews:

Point to Point Parcel - a complete range of package receiving and shipping services. (pt. roberts)
You can register online then start receiving packages.
Even if there's a lineup, you can park and walk.

Hagens now has 24 hour lockers that you can get access to.

24/7 parcel charges $3 and you can get in... 24/7

Can Amer Freight - Warehousing and Freight Services in Blaine, WA (note: may have limited hours)
Old 03-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #8473
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Stupid me, backed into a wall while parking and damaged my bumper. Would this fall under collision or comprehensive coverage? I'm currently roadster, would my insurance go up if I file a claim?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #8474
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,548 Posts
^^^
It's going to fall under collision. It's probably best to get it fixed without going through insurance since you're going to pay a deductible, and take a hit on the CRS
Old 03-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #8475

Roadstar status is long gone. Look at the CRS chart, Presto, linked, get a repair estimate and figure out which will be the most cost effective.

RSUV #7