REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

MG1 03-15-2012 10:16 PM

like a hockey bag?

MG1 03-15-2012 10:25 PM

Just on the news................... UBC, my alma mater, ranked 25th in the world. Even higher in certain areas.

"Hail, UBC" <----- official fight song written by my old band teacher back in 1930

sunny_j 03-15-2012 10:27 PM

does anyone know where i can buy cubed foam inserts locally? i am looking for something like this without case.
Orion Extra Cubed Foam for Aluminum Case #5977 | Orion Telescopes

gars 03-15-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by european (Post 7831253)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I've been to numerous amount of stores and no one seems to be able to help out.

I'm looking for a 4x2 bag. Something similar to a hockey bag but does not really need extra pocket. I need it to carry around some of my camera gear so it has to be made out of some decent material to support the weight.

4 feet long by 2 feet wide by 2 feet tall. Height could be a bit smaller though.

Please and thank you very much!

try some travelling bags? like MEC or some other travel stores....

they might be pricey though.

ummm - maybe one of those army green duffles?

SkinnyPupp 03-16-2012 07:17 AM

Amazing views of Hong Kong, enjoy

"Hong Kong - the City where Dreams Come True" - (©)AIRPANO.COM - Project by Oleg Gaponyuk

More cities here

european 03-16-2012 11:21 AM

Yes! like a hockey bag but every sports store that I've been to does not carry 4 foot long bags. The closest was 3.5 I think. My old hockey bag is 3feet.

Yes, something like a duffle bag will do.. something along the lines of this...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...8L._AA300_.jpg

I'm just using this for a bunch of pipes and a rail for my slider cam. It doesn't have to be fancy but it has to be made out of some decent material. I do not want a camping style duffel bag that's made out of nylon which will rip once I put about 20 pounds of camera rig stuff in it.

murd0c 03-16-2012 11:56 PM

Decided to make Chili at midnight so when I wake up in the morning it's ready :fuckyea:

fliptuner 03-17-2012 01:36 AM

Let the green beer flow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fcukedd 03-17-2012 11:34 AM

For those who have purchased Xbox Live memberships in the past, could you tell from this picture (shitty, I know) if this card is legit?

Thanks

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg41/...jpg&res=medium

xPhuong 03-17-2012 12:40 PM

Looks legit to me.

Looks similar to this one just diff colour

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Xbox+LIV...on+Card/135195

unit 03-17-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7852085)
Decided to make Chili at midnight so when I wake up in the morning it's ready :fuckyea:

slow cooker?

JesseBlue 03-17-2012 12:50 PM

the smell was eminating throughout the house right...:D

murd0c 03-17-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7852377)
slow cooker?

hell ya thats the only way to do it

MG1 03-18-2012 06:59 PM

So, friends and I are talking about languages and culture. One of them asks a Chinese fellow in our group if there are any words that don't exist in that language. He says, "excuse me" does not exist. Is this true or is he full of shit?

Another example of a word or words that do not exist in a foreign language is Japanese for, "I love you." According to my Japanese friend, it does not exist in traditional Japanese language. Modern kids say "aishiteru", but it is not proper Japanese. The word "love" exists, but not "I love you". Weird, huh?

Any other examples from other languages? RS being so diverse, it would be interesting. How about Russian? Punjabi?

Edit: Is there a word for "snow" in, let's say, Swahili?

nsmb 03-18-2012 08:26 PM

anyone suffering from allergies right now? fuckin brutal :okay:

DsZ24 03-18-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsmb (Post 7853752)

Yah I started getting hay fever about 2 weeks ago. Seems really early this year, I usually don't get it till late spring or summer. Hopefully it goes by fast

nsmb 03-18-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DsZ24 (Post 7853777)
Yah I started getting hay fever about 2 weeks ago. Seems really early this year, I usually don't get it till late spring or summer. Hopefully it goes by fast

Pollen Forecast: Vancouver, British Columbia - The Weather Network

Alder.... :seriously:

brb dying

HonestTea 03-18-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsmb (Post 7853752)

I am :(

FML.

Phozy 03-18-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7853619)
So, friends and I are talking about languages and culture. One of them asks a Chinese fellow in our group if there are any words that don't exist in that language. He says, "excuse me" does not exist. Is this true or is he full of shit?

Another example of a word or words that do not exist in a foreign language is Japanese for, "I love you." According to my Japanese friend, it does not exist in traditional Japanese language. Modern kids say "aishiteru", but it is not proper Japanese. The word "love" exists, but not "I love you". Weird, huh?

Any other examples from other languages? RS being so diverse, it would be interesting. How about Russian? Punjabi?

Quite true, "excuse me" doesn't exist, but we use the word "please" or "may i" in replacement, or "please make way"

PiuYi 03-18-2012 09:46 PM

^"ng goi" is pretty much the same as excuse me... used the same in every situation where excuse me would be used

excuse me = 請讓我離開
in that sense, then no, direct translation of excuse me makes no sense at all

cliffhanger33 03-19-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7853619)

This reminds me of a paper that I had written a while back regarding the use of vocabuarly and how it shapes human thoughts. I read about this study on a group of Amazon tribes known as Piraha people. Their conceptualization of "numbers" is very different from the English language or any other language, as they do not hv translations for "number words". Instead they use specific vocab to describe small number of objects (hói), hoí for larger number, and baágiso for an even larger number. So with the lack of specific vocab for number words, it became an immense impact on their cognition and capability of counting numbers when needed to be translated into English as their answer would be approximate and based on educated guesses.

There are many more vocab that do not exist in English. One other example i can think of is in Japanese, they have specific vocab for shades of colours, e.g. mizuiro for "light blue" or ao for dark blue, unlike in English where we do not have single vocabs to describe shades of colours. Because of this, English speakers are not accustomed or programmed to characterize specific shades of colours as accurately as Japanese people; hence our perception of colour in the world may be shaped differently simply because of limitations in vocabulary.

mb_ 03-19-2012 12:06 AM

To the people who didn't go to the meet, what did y'all do?

fliptuner 03-19-2012 12:16 AM

I caught the last half of this commercial and thought of MG1...lol

Sky_High 03-19-2012 02:14 AM

At age of 14, buys a house already......renovate it a bit, and rent it out for $750 a month :okay:

ShyGuy 03-19-2012 05:28 AM

$12000 house getting a rent of $700/month? time to buy up all the properties in florida!