REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653341-official-no-need-start-new-thread-thread.html)

cafe22 07-26-2020 04:52 PM

can anyone shed some info on the meaning/background behind the yellow duck on top of the side mirror or roof? I've seen two today in Richmond. I'm guessing it's a meme but I can't find anything from a quick google search.

Presto 07-26-2020 05:32 PM

It seems like it's the latest vehicle/car ornament fad.

nismodrifter 07-26-2020 07:25 PM

I have a massive wasp nest being built inside one of my eaves. Bastards have found a hole and have gone inside. I've called Orkin and Abell pest control, their earliest date is 1 week out.

Anyone know of a reputable local person I can call for this problemo?

racerman88 07-26-2020 07:43 PM

The wasp killer spray you can buy does a really good job and can shoot a stream a fair distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presto 07-26-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 8993945)
The wasp killer spray you can buy does a really good job and can shoot a stream a fair distance

That shiz is instakill. Wasps are dead the moment they touch it.

PeanutButter 07-28-2020 09:32 PM

Has anyone replaced a vinyle deck before?

I want to replace my parents deck it's about 20 years old. I was just wondering, based on youtube video's it says that I need to replace the subfloor (plywood), is this necessary if the plywood is in still good condition? and it's not rotten or water compromised?

GLOW 07-29-2020 07:44 AM

disclaimer: i'm not a decking guy

in my old house that had a carport i was told the same thing by the contractor that he can re-use the sub-base and it seemed to be OK, i was there for about 5 years with no issues (i moved after so dunno how it is now). but you'll probably need to patch/level where needed and ensure it still has proper slope etc so you don't get pooling or anything.

Hondaracer 07-29-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8994114)
Has anyone replaced a vinyle deck before?

I want to replace my parents deck it's about 20 years old. I was just wondering, based on youtube video's it says that I need to replace the subfloor (plywood), is this necessary if the plywood is in still good condition? and it's not rotten or water compromised?

If you can get the old vinyl up extremely cleanly it’s probably fine

However if the glue and whatever is under the vinyl is left over it’s probably going to be easier to rip up and replace the subfloor than scrape and sand to get that smooth application surface.

Also if you’re paying Somone to lay new vinyl down they likely will not do it if the old surface has defects or glue etc. On it because that will just open them up to the product failing in the future.

How big is the deck?

blkgsr 07-29-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8994132)
If you can get the old vinyl up extremely cleanly it’s probably fine

However if the glue and whatever is under the vinyl is left over it’s probably going to be easier to rip up and replace the subfloor than scrape and sand to get that smooth application surface.

Also if you’re paying Somone to lay new vinyl down they likely will not do it if the old surface has defects or glue etc. On it because that will just open them up to the product failing in the future.

How big is the deck?

this....unless it comes up clean or they allow for prep i'd doubt they'd warranty it

fliptuner 07-29-2020 10:22 AM

Would it be easier/cheaper to PL/screw an overlapping layer of ⅜" ply?

Hondaracer 07-29-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8994139)
Would it be easier/cheaper to PL/screw an overlapping layer of ⅜" ply?

If the deck is against the house the flashing may be a concern. However this is definitely an option.

Get some nice 5/8” tongue and groove and create a nice new surface. Spend the little extra and get the nice tongue and groove sheets

blkgsr 07-29-2020 01:06 PM

you'll still want to either give the existing plywood a good sand to remove any remaining adhesive/vinyl so you don't get any bumps etc

PeanutButter 07-29-2020 05:52 PM

Ahh that's why they recommend using a fresh sub floor. I think it's pretty hard to rip up the old vinyl and not have a nice clean smooth surface.

That makes sense. I'm wanting to do it myself, which is why I'm asking.

The deck itself is about 12x12ft.

I'll probably just replace the subfloor though, might as well do it right. I never knew about tongue and groove plywood until I watched a youtube video. Thanks for the suggestion

underscore 07-29-2020 08:36 PM

I see it as a good excuse to check the structure underneath and make sure it's still solid too.

fliptuner 07-29-2020 08:55 PM

12x12? Yeah fuckit. Start fresh.

SSM_DC5 08-02-2020 11:23 AM

Anyone got a spare DVI to DVI cable for a monitor they want to give away? I'm too cheap to spend $20 to buy a brand new one and the VGA port on my monitor stopped working.

PeanutButter 08-02-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8994540)
Anyone got a spare DVI to DVI cable for a monitor they want to give away? I'm too cheap to spend $20 to buy a brand new one and the VGA port on my monitor stopped working.

I should have one at home, but I'm away until Tuesday. I'll PM you when I get home on Tuesday (if that's not too late).

Teriyaki 08-03-2020 04:38 PM

Anyone taken a lowered car onto the ferry? Any clearance issues?

Manic! 08-03-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teriyaki (Post 8994596)

I have had no problems with my old lowered civic that I would have to go over speed pumps sideways or my Audi R8.

Obsideon 08-04-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teriyaki (Post 8994596)

I vaguely remember a long time ago when I had my lowered Civic to request to be on the upper deck? The lower deck would scrape my bumper. This was like 15 years ago though.

Hondaracer 08-13-2020 02:56 PM

Anyone here a lawyer or has experience with contract law?

I have a fairly basic contract I’m writing and would like to run it by someone, or if anyone has any recommendations don’t mind paying for a proper contract. Has to do with tenancy

GLOW 08-13-2020 03:20 PM

wouldn't you use the template from the RTA and amend add items as needed? Mind you, even if you write something in to contract and they sign, but if it goes against the RTA, it's not enforceable.

eg. if you write in that if they're a day late on rent you get to kick 'em in the nuts...you don't get to kick them in the nuts...

not sure if any of the above is helpful...

Manic! 08-13-2020 04:21 PM

Epic released a new mobile Fortnite app that has a built-in payment system and does not use Apples or Googles payment systems. Both Apple and Google have banned it from their stores because they don't get a cut of sales.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/13/2...rule-violation

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/13/2...-epic-payments

!LittleDragon 08-16-2020 09:27 PM

I'm soooooo triggered right now >:O

Disney World in Florida Shuts Down Star Trek-themed Ride after Lightning Strikes Park

ssjGoku69 08-16-2020 10:29 PM

Star Trek? Star Wars? same-same right? both about nerdy space fantasy :lol