REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #11401
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Not sure if this is the thread to ask.

Anybody know a good immigration consultant/lawyer.

Yes there is lots in the city, looking for some personal recommendation.
Advertisement
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #11402
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
For upgrading to 200amps panel, you might want to get in touch with BC Hydro first before worrying about inspectors.

Inspectors worries about code... which if your electrician is competent enough, there shouldn't be any issue. And as many have already commented, they ONLY care about what they are there for. So, electrical inspectors care only about how your electricals are run vs. what the code dictates. It could be a completely lousy job, but as long as it's within the code, they would ok it.

Now back to BCHydro... you have to check with them to see if your area, or more specifically, the box where your home is connected to has enough spare capacity.

I've read from local Tesla group where they weren't able to get their service upgraded because there simply isn't enough capacity.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #11403
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
For me, my argument with anyone who questions Reno’s etc. As long as the work is done properly, is who is to say when this work was done?

I know that some wiring has date stamps etc. But once it’s done and completed it’s pretty hard for Somone to say it was you who did the work and where’s the permits etc.
if a electrical inspector finds that you did work without permits you could be asked to expose all of the work done. A building inspector can and will have you remove what you have done.
they have a lot more power than you think.

when you buy a home, you buy what someone else did, with or without a permit. i have seen many bad renovations done without permits.

permits protect the person paying for work done in the sense that atleast it will be done up to code..
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #11404
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
For upgrading to 200amps panel, you might want to get in touch with BC Hydro first before worrying about inspectors.

Inspectors worries about code... which if your electrician is competent enough, there shouldn't be any issue. And as many have already commented, they ONLY care about what they are there for. So, electrical inspectors care only about how your electricals are run vs. what the code dictates. It could be a completely lousy job, but as long as it's within the code, they would ok it.

Now back to BCHydro... you have to check with them to see if your area, or more specifically, the box where your home is connected to has enough spare capacity.

I've read from local Tesla group where they weren't able to get their service upgraded because there simply isn't enough capacity.
pick a contractor, have them contact BC Hydro. they can work with BC Hydro on your behalf. I have never had BC Hydro say there wasn't enough capacity in the area. maybe I have just been lucky.
For some of the bigger developments, i have seen BC hydro make the developer pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to get the power to their site.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #11405
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,082 Posts
How much is a resi permit? Seems risky to do the work without one and not worth the cost savings.

A neighbour of mine got busted and the city put up highly visible red signs to let everyone know it. Seemed kind of foolish to me to try and save a few bucks considering the potential ramifications as mentioned above. Are they pricey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #11406

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouRK View Post
pick a contractor, have them contact BC Hydro. they can work with BC Hydro on your behalf. I have never had BC Hydro say there wasn't enough capacity in the area. maybe I have just been lucky.
For some of the bigger developments, i have seen BC hydro make the developer pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to get the power to their site.
I think it varies area to area.

For the most part, it should be fine.

This particular member of the Tesla group commented on something about homes in his/her area mostly being on 120+ AMP services as most have home+suite and from the comments, it seems that there were many people already done the upgrade to 200 and even 400amp services leaving no spare capacity. And it works on a first come, first served basis as far as capacity is concerned.

Not sure how it ended though. As I'm sure if there's the need, BCHydro would be adding capacity to their box. Although it might be a lengthy wait.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:52 AM   #11407
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,528 Times in 4,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
Star Trek? Star Wars? same-same right? both about nerdy space fantasy
No, no, no.............

Star Trek > Star Wars.

Thinking back to when Star Trek first aired back in 1966, it has inspired so much. Just the technology alone. Okay, food replicators and teleportation a far stretch, but memory cards, communicators, etc.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...uture-of-tech/

https://www.mynewlab.com/blog/10-tim...future-sci-fi/

On top of the tech stuff, Star Trek gave us hope. That in the future, humankind prevails and harmony can be reached. So many episodes that dealt with the human factor. Lessons in life, etc. Pretty powerful stuff. Then the idea of alien species - Klingons, Vulcans, Cardassians, Ferengi, even the Dominion (founders, Jem'Hadar, Vorta, etc.). A lot of traits from these species that exist in humans. How we deal with differences and try to solve bigger issues through cooperation. I love all the versions of Star Trek. From the original series to DS9, Enterprise, and Voyager. The movies were also, for the most part, great. Having said that the newest thing, Star Trek Lower Decks. Shit, that series is horrible. I know it's supposed to be comedy, but it's way over the top. Maybe like DS9, I'll start to like it. Discovery. I just need to get over that crybaby chick.

As for Star Wars, meh. I watched Dune (even though it's not Star Wars, it's relative to the Star Wars sagas) and it was okay. The trilogies, prequels, sequels, etc. of Star Wars got tiring and predictable. Don't get me wrong, the stuff is alright, but Star Trek is more, much more.

I've been watching a lot of Stargate lately. I'm getting into Atlantis.

Oh, forgot to mention. The hot women of Star Trek franchise........... simply amazing. Speaking of which, Officer Hawt and Waverly Earp from that weird series, Wynonna Earp. That carpet licking scene from season 1.

Since we're talking sci-fi. I just watched the new Twilight Zone. It's nothing like the original. I guess it's in the second year. I'm not sure what to think of it.

Back to Star Wars, I am looking forward to the 2020 (2021) version of Dune. Dune for grown ups, while Star Wars was for kids and young adults.

I have yet to watch the Mandalorian series. Worth the watch?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #11408
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,406 Times in 5,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RouRK View Post
if a electrical inspector finds that you did work without permits you could be asked to expose all of the work done. A building inspector can and will have you remove what you have done.
they have a lot more power than you think.

when you buy a home, you buy what someone else did, with or without a permit. i have seen many bad renovations done without permits.

permits protect the person paying for work done in the sense that atleast it will be done up to code..
If you have an electrician with a ticket that will sign off on the work, you won’t have to do anything. The irony in this is that the electricians that will sign off on other people work for cash are likely the same ones that will burn down a house with their work lol..

Electrical work is pretty much the only portion of your home you can legally do yourself as long as you have Somone to sign off on it. Basic residential electrical work is very easy.

Getting permits to do minor renovations in Vancouver frankly is not worth it. The amount of over the top BS they want is worth the risk in going without one imo.

Albeit inside work is far easier to hide etc than some major exterior renovation. But having to provide drawings and engineering reports for minor structural stuff is rediculous.

Edit*

Hehe is correct in his B.C. hydro information. As far as I know it is impossible to get a 150/200 amp service off a mid-span connection. So if your home is fed off the mid span of the power line, you are going to have to pay for an additional pole and everything else that comes a long with that.

If it’s an underground service fed from a transformer then it may be a bit easier
Old 10-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #11409
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,604 Times in 545 Posts
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/f...closed-2761904

Quote:
After 33 years, it's the end for an iconic Hong Kong-style diner in Vancouver's Chinatown
Open since 1986, Gold Stone was a treasured spot for locals who took great comfort in its menu of Hong Kong diner-style fare.
a day ago By: Lindsay William-Ross

gold-stone-bakery-restaurant-ext
137A-139 Keefer Street. Photo: Google Maps
After 33 years on Keefer Street in Chinatown, Gold Stone Bakery & Restaurant is no more.

The beloved bakeshop and cafe business was first listed for sale in mid-June for $500,000, but after not managing to snag a buyer, the price was dropped a whopping $350,000 to $150,000 on Oct. 1.

Open since 1986, Gold Stone was a treasured spot for locals who took great comfort in its menu of Hong Kong diner-style fare.

Among the many items on the menu that diners adored at Gold Stone were its HK milk tea, as well as their breakfast combos, baked pork chop over rice, pineapple buns, egg tarts, and chow mein.

Here you could find instant noodles swimming with slices of spam and a sunny side up egg, fried rice studded with chicken and ham, and golden Hong Kong-style French Toast. Come lunchtime, diners would tuck into bowls of Russian borscht with a dinner roll before moving on to things like plates of chicken in black pepper sauce or black bean spare ribs with rice, or a more western-style Club Sandwich.

Known for their quick, no-frills service, plexiglass-topped tables with menus pressed beneath, and a cash-only policy (for their hallmark affordable prices), losing Gold Stone is a blow to the city, not just within the Chinatown community itself but for all those who flocked to Gold Stone in search of what many felt were the best examples of classic HK diner eats in the lower mainland.

Gold Stone is also an example of an "intangible" kind of heritage that preservationists constantly seek to save. Gold Stone is named throughout the 2015 Heritage BC "Vancouver Chinatown Intangible Heritage Values Report," as a place of value in the community that doesn't have a "heritage" designation that would keep it from being removed, altered, or destroyed.

"The cultural activities and events that take place in Vancouver’s Chinatown contribute to its value and significance for participants. The rich history and existing physical heritage of Vancouver’s Chinatown also contributes to its value and significance for participants because it embodies the history and experience of Chinese Canadians in B.C.," reads the report's introduction.

The closure of Gold Stone began back in the spring, as the COVID-19 pandemic forced restaurants and businesses to close their doors. Since then, however, Gold Stone's temporary shut down has morphed into a permanent one.

For any prospective buyers, the listing for Gold Stone, at 137A-139 Keefer Street, is through RA Realty Alliance.
rip, legit quality hk cafes are harder and harder to find these days, now we only got garbage hk cafes like happy day...
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #11410
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/f...closed-2761904

rip, legit quality hk cafes are harder and harder to find these days, now we only got garbage hk cafes like happy day...
Or paying 10+ dollars at Lido for a bun + hot drink lol.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #11411
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,961 Times in 3,892 Posts
Has anyone got a GPS tracker for their car that uses a SIM card? Canada never had cheap enough phone plans for me to want to do it, but with Shaws new free plan + $10 for 1GB for 90 days it'd cost $40/yr which I think is well worth it.

Ideally I want something that I can check the location of remotely and be able to have it text me the GPS coordinates should it have a cell signal but not a data connection. Bonus points if it has the ability to have a geo fence. I've got some old Androids and iPhones kicking around too, maybe there's an app that does this and I can just wire the phone into the car?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #11412
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,911 Posts
Regal theatres, and Cineworld closing down all theatres in the US and UK, James Bond being postponed was the straw that broke their back

https://variety.com/2020/film/global...nd-1234791728/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #11413
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,404 Times in 554 Posts
Anyone know who to contact (if there is any agency at all) to notify of a dead animal on the road etc? Noticed 2 dead racoons on the drive home today, sad times...
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:34 PM   #11414
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Anyone know who to contact (if there is any agency at all) to notify of a dead animal on the road etc? Noticed 2 dead racoons on the drive home today, sad times...
https://spca.bc.ca/faqs/%E2%80%8Bi-found-dead-wildlife/

Last edited by MG1; 10-04-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #11415
I don't get it

Quote:
If you have an electrician with a ticket that will sign off on the work, you won’t have to do anything. The irony in this is that the electricians that will sign off on other people work for cash are likely the same ones that will burn down a house with their work lol..

Electrical work is pretty much the only portion of your home you can legally do yourself as long as you have Somone to sign off on it. Basic residential electrical work is very easy.

Getting permits to do minor renovations in Vancouver frankly is not worth it. The amount of over the top BS they want is worth the risk in going without one imo.

Albeit inside work is far easier to hide etc than some major exterior renovation. But having to provide drawings and engineering reports for minor structural stuff is rediculous.

Edit*

Hehe is correct in his B.C. hydro information. As far as I know it is impossible to get a 150/200 amp service off a mid-span connection. So if your home is fed off the mid span of the power line, you are going to have to pay for an additional pole and everything else that comes a long with that.

If it’s an underground service fed from a transformer then it may be a bit easier
no, mid span taps are still done on occasion and a ticketed electrician cannot sign off on electrical work, a master electrician or FSR can. Yes, there are money hungry contractors that will sign off on home owners un inspected work, I personally would not.

if your dealing with provincial inspectors, yes you can have a FSR sign off. I would not be surprised if some of the electrical inspectors in Vancouver would fight to make you expose the work. I am not familiar with signing off on un permitted work, i am familiar with some inspectors in Vancouver, they can be very difficult.

In Vancouver, it is almost a privilege to do business as a contractor, the amount of info they want and the waiting times are way too much and too long.

this is the only city I have worked in where you can pay "overtime" to get your permit processed faster.

tough city to do anything in
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #11416

Yea, it’s a joke.

My former company built approx 350 homes in the 9 years I worked for them (townhomes and custom builds) we built a total of 1 home in Vancouver and it was really only as a favour to Somone in a slow time. I really want to build a custom home myself but I think I may want to move to North Burnaby or elsewhere just due to the nightmare of logistics in building within the CoV
Old 10-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #11417
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,911 Posts
Remember that fake millionaire who used his relatives wealth and pretended it was his own? His daughter was on that short lived rich Asian girls of Vancouver show (she also pretended her uncles mansion/car was her own or something like that)

And then they murdered their relative/business partner at his mansion on the British properties, and then chopped the body up into bits?

Well he was only convicted of manslaughter and was sentenced to 7yrs for it + 3 yrs for dismembering the body

He'll be released in 2 years or so

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/10...iness-partner/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #11418
MG1

Must have ties to Huawei or consulate.

If any of us did that............

Correction. None of us would even think of doing such a barbaric thing to a fellow human.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #11419
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Recommend a good place to buy some area rugs??

Not wanting to drop big $$, need an 8x10 for my home office, has to be thin so chair can roll on it, looking at budget of few hundred dollars.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #11420
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,227 Times in 2,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post

Not wanting to drop big $$, need an 8x10 for my home office, has to be thin so chair can roll on it, looking at budget of few hundred dollars.
Ikea
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #11421

Wayfair, Costco, Home Sense

Imo quality VS cost Costco is hard to beat imo. Problem is most of their carpets are online but you can always return
Old 10-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #11422
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,356 Times in 975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post

I tried. but carpet was just shit.. i had to get those clean floor protective covering.. carpet just didn't roll well as it always movesss.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #11423

If you want a good quality rug, just go big.

That comes from my parents experience of buying rugs. It's one of those things that if you buy cheap, you buy many times.

Rugs they buy are in the 4-6k range, but they are thicker, thus I think for thin ones you could be in the low 4-figures... but point is, they have kept every single one of them so far and they felt as comfy as I step on the first day. The ones in bedroom, they might get a pass... but the one in their house in Taiwan is easily 20yrs in the living room where someone walks on it on a daily basis... other than some $$$ to have it professionally cleaned every so often, nothing has ever done to them in term of maintenance.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #11424

The problem with that is, styles change.

I’m all for spending money on quality however I almost certainly know my home will not look the way it does now in 10 years. Not to say you can’t get timeless rugs which are pretty versatile in terms of look but a carpet that’s been there for 20 years likely means much of the look has remained the same as well.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #11425

Quote:
The problem with that is, styles change.

I’m all for spending money on quality however I almost certainly know my home will not look the way it does now in 10 years. Not to say you can’t get timeless rugs which are pretty versatile in terms of look but a carpet that’s been there for 20 years likely means much of the look has remained the same as well.
I think you are confusing style vs. fashion. But that's why when buying quality (expensive) stuff, you go something that's timeless. Don't buy what's IN right now... buy something that has
aged well in term of design. Fashion may go out of style, but style never does.

There are Persian grade quality rugs that have a design to modern rugs in a variety of colors too (although in similar price range). So, just take your pick.

Another example of longevity, a hardwood floor's color might go from mahogany in style to grey... but the hardwood floor itself never change. One could re-finish the HW floor itself to different stains several times if a quality HW floor was used in the first place. If you used vinyl or other cheaper alternatives, the only way is pretty much to gut it and replace them.