REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #16301
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Rather get it done at a shop professionaly.
Knowing me, I'll end up melting my skates, lol.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:31 PM   #16302
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
If you buy skates online, where do you go to get them baked? How much should that service cost?
I go to Scoffs in Burnaby on Parker Street (These guys are older hockey guys through and through). I got them baked and punched for $40. Otherwise, cyclone taylor (these guys are younger guys that probably play hockey) does it and I think some sport cheks (these guys don't necessarily play hockey) do it.

I only got them punched because they were too pinchy for me because my foot got bigger. Or I got fat? I'm not really sure what happened.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2023, 12:58 AM   #16303
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I go to Scoffs in Burnaby on Parker Street (These guys are older hockey guys through and through). I got them baked and punched for $40. Otherwise, cyclone taylor (these guys are younger guys that probably play hockey) does it and I think some sport cheks (these guys don't necessarily play hockey) do it.

I only got them punched because they were too pinchy for me because my foot got bigger. Or I got fat? I'm not really sure what happened.
I'm familiar with those shops. But never ordered skates online before.
Usually when you buy them in store, they just include the baking for free I think? So $40 is the decent rate for this service?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #16304
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I'm familiar with those shops. But never ordered skates online before.
Usually when you buy them in store, they just include the baking for free I think? So $40 is the decent rate for this service?
Usually, if you buy the skates from the store, they're included (You should confirm).
I think it'll be less than $40 because I had to get mine punched, if you're just baking them, it should be a little cheaper. You can just call them for the rates and see which one is cheapest. I just go to Scoffs because they're close to me. I would rather go to Scoffs or Cyclone over Sport Chek though.

Also, best to try them on before you buy them online, sizing is highly variable with skates.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 02:11 PM   #16305
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
There’s a Hong Kong market in new west today.

It’s pretty neat.

Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2023, 03:36 PM   #16306
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Anyone have experience with a neighbour's tree roots fucking up your driveway? Just noticed a part of the concrete under our carport is starting to lift as well.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 03:47 PM   #16307
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Dig around the Driveway and cut out all the roots
Old 05-07-2023, 04:22 PM   #16308

Is there anywhere other than best buy to buy TV’s anymore? Moreso higher end models

I’m looking at a few different models $3000+ which Costco doesn’t carry, I’d always prefer to purchase from Costco however they do not carry the model I want.

I fucking hate Best Buy and would prefer to not buy from them but other than visions or BB is there anywhere that carry TV’s?

May just have to buy a lower end model and buy from Costco as opposed to dealing with BB
Old 05-07-2023, 04:41 PM   #16309
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,225 Posts
You could try Visions when I bought my oled a few years back they actually ended up with the best price after haggling a bit.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:07 PM   #16310
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
London drugs? I've always had good experiences buying electronics/photography stuff there.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:41 PM   #16311

Yea I’d much prefer to buy from LD than any of those places but again don’t have the model, right now at least..

Looking for Sony A95K but may just opt to buy a different TV from Costco as I said, the peice of mind may be worth the performance difference :/
Old 05-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #16312
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Dig around the Driveway and cut out all the roots
Let me rephrase the question.

Anyone have experience on whether the owner of the tree is liable for paying repairs for a broken driveway/carport due to a tree that they owned?

Idiot neighbours decided to keep the tree when they rebuilt the house. As it's right on the property line, branches have now covered half of our driveway and the roots are destroying the concrete/asphalt in our driveway and carport.

Apparently my parents tried asking them to split the cost of cutting their tree's branches several years ago and they told my parents to fuck off, so I don't think it'd be any different now. We ended up taking a small ladder and cutting it ourselves, but we haven't done anything about the branches higher up.

Concrete goes all the way to the fence for the driveway area, so can't really dig around it to kill the roots. Not to mention the concerns of cutting the roots of a tree that's as tall as a power pole.

The carport area has a small area to walk through, so I can solve the carport area, but still same concerns exist.

I imagine getting anyone to come out to fix these issues are going to be pretty expensive, and I don't think it's our responsibility to foot the bill. It's not our tree fucking up other people's property.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:45 PM   #16313

Are you dead set on Sony? My LG OLED has been amazing and the UI has been great compared to past TVs I've had.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:42 PM   #16314

So the LG C2 is like a pretty amazing TV for $2300 and that’s my alternative as Costco sells it

But kinda set on the new QD OLED
Old 05-07-2023, 06:50 PM   #16315
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
@Razor I’m not sure what bylaws are in Japan, BC but in Surrey the city has to approve tree removal so maybe that wasn’t a choice for your neighbour if their request was denied.

My neighbour’s tree has done the same to my driveway. My dad thought it might be an invasive species so I went to the city. They said it wasn’t. I was hoping Surrey would’ve been on the hook as they would’ve approved the original neighborhood plans. That said, people can plant trees.. the city would investigate what was approved originally.

I’d start with the city before pissing off a neighbour. That said, the lady next door to me turned 100 recently so I’m leaving her alone regardless lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:00 PM   #16316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So the LG C2 is like a pretty amazing TV for $2300 and that’s my alternative as Costco sells it

But kinda set on the new QD OLED
I'd get the 77" C2 over the 65" Sony for basically the same price if your room is big enough. The extra screen size would negate whatever extra bells and whistles or a bit brighter display the Sony would bring. Not sure if Costco sells that size though.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:54 PM   #16317
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
@Razor I’m not sure what bylaws are in Japan, BC but in Surrey the city has to approve tree removal so maybe that wasn’t a choice for your neighbour if their request was denied.

My neighbour’s tree has done the same to my driveway. My dad thought it might be an invasive species so I went to the city. They said it wasn’t. I was hoping Surrey would’ve been on the hook as they would’ve approved the original neighborhood plans. That said, people can plant trees.. the city would investigate what was approved originally.

I’d start with the city before pissing off a neighbour. That said, the lady next door to me turned 100 recently so I’m leaving her alone regardless lol
It's only for trees that's 30cm or more in diameter at breast height or some specific tree species. If they aren't within the limit... cut away.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:54 PM   #16318
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Are you dead set on Sony? My LG OLED has been amazing and the UI has been great compared to past TVs I've had.
IMO, fuck LG. I’m happy your experience has been positive so far but overall their product fails hard and fast.

Don’t buy on spec. Buy on longevity. I had a buddy sold on Samsung and he bought 3 TV’s before I had to replace my Aquos. Spec sheets are designed to convince you it’s a better deal but it’s rarely a better investment when it comes to total cost of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2023, 08:03 PM   #16319
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Always check here before buying a TV.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...-on-the-market

The Samsung QDOLED is the top right now.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:16 PM   #16320
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:

I'm in Burnaby. I sent an email to the city to see what they recommend.

I emailed them last time about the overhanging branches and they said we were on the hook.

Thought it was kind of weird because https://www.burnaby.ca/services-and-payments/trees says "As a property owner in Burnaby, you’re responsible for maintaining all the trees on your property." I'm guessing it's only trees that aren't reaching over to someone else's property?

Seems like anything to do with trees in your property is your own responsibility even if the tree isn't yours. Seems kind of fucking stupid, no? If I planted a tree and it was a massive inconvenience to my neighbour, I'm not responsible for anything. I get to reap all the rewards of having a piece of nature and privacy with none of the negatives. Well, I guess if it was super massive like the one my neighbour has, I'd probably have to get someone to trim it every couple of years. Oh wait, they never trimmed our side, those fuckers.

It's pretty shit. The wall of trees pretty much extend our entirety of our driveway and half of the carport if you take a look at the aerial view. Just constant crap from the trees falling down and bird taking shits on our vehicles.

I didn't notice these things before, but since my dad passed away I've had to manage a lot of the things around the house. Or maybe I've just gotten older and things piss me off easily now.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 05-07-2023 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:41 PM   #16321
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
All overhang is considered the neighbouring properties tree, you're free to cut any overhang down without even giving ur neighbour a heads up, it's annoying tho

My parents neighbour has this monstrous tree that they never trim, it's growing sideways and overhangs and completely blocks out the sun to the rents, but the branches are so high up I don't think an arborist has a long enough crane to deal with it, something I've got to look into as well
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:17 PM   #16322
Say! Say! Say!

Yeah, we cut the low hanging ones where we can, but like that tree, our neighbour's are all very tall and would require a professional arborist to come in.

Just hope that your neighbour is nice enough to half and half on the bill, otherwise you're shit out luck and stuck with the bill for something that isn't even your fault. Yeah, some say it's the cost of owning a house, but I strongly disagree. Cost of owning a house should not involve hiring professionals to bring a crane/lift in to cut the branches off a tree that you don't own and other folks in to repair/replace a driveway/carport because of the same tree.

I wonder if the city will see differently about the roots issue. Had to replace our entire roof and carport roof last year, so that was already a reasonable dent in the wallet. Guess replacing the driveway/carport could be next.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:05 AM   #16323

Quote:
IMO, fuck LG. I’m happy your experience has been positive so far but overall their product fails hard and fast.

Don’t buy on spec. Buy on longevity. I had a buddy sold on Samsung and he bought 3 TV’s before I had to replace my Aquos. Spec sheets are designed to convince you it’s a better deal but it’s rarely a better investment when it comes to total cost of ownership.
When it comes to TVs in my personal experience if it doesn't have any issues in the first year you're good. When were talking OLEDs and QD OLEDs your panel is coming from either LG or Samsung anyways regardless of if you bought a high end Sony or whatever.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2023, 07:19 AM   #16324
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Consecutively, our LG TV died a day or two AFTER warranty expired. We have been very lucky (emphasis on lucky) where LG was kind to honour warranty. Keep in mind this is a mid-level television, and not a top-of-the-line model.

We are on our 3rd LG TV replaced by LG themselves but it happens every year litearlly one or two days after the "warranty" expires and it is annoying and inconvenient. I won't be buying another LG TV and after this one dies next month, some time around June 15 - 17 ($10 bet on this) we're turfing it for good. I can't help but believe there is some kind of planned obsolescence on their low/mid-tier televisions.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:49 AM   #16325
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,462 Times in 5,119 Posts
I bought a 40" Samsung in 2011 and it just won't die and the space above my fireplace is too small for anything bigger / wall with the couch is too close for anything bigger.

Good thing I'm not super into AV tech. I would definitely buy a Samsung TV again though!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote