REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:50 PM   #21276
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
The best, or worst... part was that this chick was a FREAK, can only imagine what was recorded
Why do I get the feeling she knew all along the hidden camera was there...
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:22 PM   #21277
RabidMod

Thanked 1,173 Times in 433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Anyways, so I got this new iPad for him and it’s not even compatible with his Apple Pencil gen 1 or gen 2. They forced me to go buy this Apple Pencil pro for another 190 dollars.

Man fuck you crapple you piece of shit

but barrel roll!!
Old 05-21-2024, 08:18 PM   #21278
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,522 Times in 5,741 Posts
Check out this post by Diplo at the greatful dead show at Sphere

Fuck this looks absolutely incredible

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7EV-u-L...pzNDMxYjkwMzVy
Old 05-21-2024, 08:20 PM   #21279
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,803 Times in 724 Posts
The dumb thing about the sphere is that they have literal seats that can't see the entire sphere inside... it's wild they would design it like that. If you go, make sure you get an unobstructed seat.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:24 PM   #21280
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,522 Times in 5,741 Posts
There are very few I’d say after being there, we paid top dollar for the best seats possible and when I looked around, the seats you could get for $80 USD instead of $200 didn’t seem like that big of a difference

It may change if you were to go to a concert like that though where it seems like your seating position may come into play a little more given the perspective, but I think anywhere would still be incredible. It’s so all-encompassing that unless you actively have a balcony in your line of sight I think it would be fine
Old 05-21-2024, 08:47 PM   #21281
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,131 Times in 985 Posts
Quote:
One dead and at least 71 injured after severe turbulence hits Singapore Airlines flight
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/05/21/w...ulence-bangkok
Old 05-21-2024, 11:07 PM   #21282
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,097 Times in 1,951 Posts
Scumbag cybercriminals!

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...e-data-ransom/

whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2024, 05:27 AM   #21283
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,759 Times in 824 Posts
are they just threatening to release employees info? I wouldn't pay either.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:29 PM   #21284

I went to LD yesterday, first time since the incident.
Store was dead quiet ..
Almost everything on the selves had "manager specials tag"
felt kinda sad...
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:16 PM   #21285
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
That's why I always keep my seatbelt on...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:01 PM   #21286
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Cryptocurrency gotta be the worst tech invention of the 2000's. Sure it's great for speculation but the amount of crime it facilitates is up there.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2024, 08:04 AM   #21287

Thanked 2,437 Times in 927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
I went to LD yesterday, first time since the incident.
Store was dead quiet ..
Almost everything on the selves had "manager specials tag"
felt kinda sad...
I speculate when they're probably going out of business. There's almost no sales in those stores. Nothing desirable either with the rise of amazon for offering same shitty goods at the same price.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:38 AM   #21288
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,317 Times in 2,455 Posts
It would be sad and I would be terribly disappointed if London Drugs goes out of business because of this.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:53 AM   #21289
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I speculate when they're probably going out of business. There's almost no sales in those stores. Nothing desirable either with the rise of amazon for offering same shitty goods at the same price.
I think it depends on the location - their Ironwood sees pretty steady traffic. I hope they don't go under completely, but I can see them closing a few locations to recover from this incident.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:15 AM   #21290
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,269 Posts
I was in LD downtown Robson, traffic and everything looked fine to me :shrugs:

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:48 PM   #21291
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
I guess I'll go LD tonight to get more of those British, Tim Tams.............. tee hee.

The last time I was at LD (Guilford location), I came across a Shania Twain Greatest Hits Vinyl LP. One of the better pressings. Not a coloured one, but black with two songs (Ka-Ching and Giddy Up) that are not on the other versions. Pressed in the Czech Republic. Priced at $59.99, it was a little step, but not outrageous. I quickly checked on-line and there was a Canadian On-line store that had it for $49.99. Got the price match. Damn!!

Love the no nonsense, LD price match policy.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:57 PM   #21292
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I'm sure westopher can agree being a kitchen guy. You should always run your burners at high not only before cooking, but post-cooking to clear all that crap on the grills/burners.

I'll usually run the grill high heat for 5 minutes (top down) after everything is cooked and off the grill to ensure it's totally clean.
I do this, plus use a spray bottle and spray grill with water. Like a steam cleaning, lol. Wooden scraper to get the now moist gunk off and then use pumice thing to get it nearly spotless. I then saturate paper towels with water via spray bottle and use the same pumice thing to wipe off any left over pumice. Being wet, the paper towel doesn't catch on fire, lol

Works for me.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2024, 05:33 PM   #21293

Thanked 7,317 Times in 2,455 Posts
Damn they released the London Drugs data

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...data-1.7213141
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:50 PM   #21294
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,003 Posts
So guys who own older Porsches (say worth less than $40k) what's the ownership experience like especially compared to a newer Porsche?

I've got an opportunity to get my almost F U money out now but I'm inclined to only take a little bit out and let the rest ride for a few more years. The reality is that I don't really have the time right now to enjoy a new Porsche and I've also seen how painful luxury car taxes are so I think I'd just rather buy used anyways. My wife is also pretty incredulous that I would consider spending $180k on a car

So my thinking now is to just take $25-60k out, buy an older Porsche for the next few years and let the F U money grow bigger to the point where wifey doesn't care what I do with our money.

So what's like a 2006 Boxster like (like this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...11%7D%7D%22%7D) or something a bit newer like an early base model 981?
Old 05-23-2024, 08:59 PM   #21295
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,554 Posts
Personally, I would not recommend the first gen Boxsters (986) unless you specifically have a thing for them. They are really quite old now, and while their engines are more reliable than the 987 engines, they will require a lot of TLC and upkeep.

Between the 987 and 981, I'd say the biggest differences are:

- driving feel
- drivetrain reliability
- looks
- age (of vehicle)

This may sound a little cliche, but the 987 feels more raw and direct, while the 981 feels more capable and solid. I'm sure this is both a function of vehicle age as well as engineering.

As far as reliability is concerned, 987.1 cars (2006 - 2008) are supposedly prone to engine bore scoring in addition to the overblown IMS worries. The engine bore scoring issue seems to be a matter of when, not a matter of if. But how the car has been driven and cared for will determine how soon it'll develop.

I'll leave this here for you to assess for yourself how serious the issue is. After all, these guys are the real experts on the subject, and everything I can write would just be 2nd hand info.

A friend with a 987.2 tells me that his maintenance services at Weissach typically costs at least $1k, and goes up from there if more work is needed. On the other hand, I have another 987.1 friend who does all the servicing on his car. AFAIK, starting with the 981 generation, DIY maintenance becomes a little more tricky, and there are certain things that specifically require a Porsche-specific (OBD2) computer to help you do the job.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2024, 09:02 PM   #21296
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,830 Times in 4,430 Posts
TL;DR: Buy the best one you can find in your local market. You have a lot of options given your budget.

Long version:

It boils down to "it depends." Do you wrench on your own cars? Do you prefer taking it to the dealer or an independent shop to take care of it for you? Or a combination of both?

I've owned two Porsches, previously a 996 C2, and now a 986.1 Boxster S. I can do basic maintenance and stuff and they are easy to work on, and lots of parts available, both factory, original parts, and aftermarket. Porsche is awesome for supporting their cars for a very long time. Both my cars have been trouble free. They will all have their weird quirks, but nothing that should leave you stranded, unlike an Alfa Romeo.

For $25k - $60K, you have some options, but ultimately, you need to ask yourself, what are you hoping to achieve out of the car? You can have a lot of fun in a base model Boxster, or a 987 Boxster like in your example. Buy the best model you can buy, but more importantly, when it comes to Porsches, buy the seller, and buy a car with a stack full of maintenance logs.

A lot of people give me a huge WTF look when I say this, but when I had my 996, it was hard to enjoy in the city. You're stopping every block in traffic and you're never really getting out of second or third gear.

Shop around and find a good example. If it's a short term commitment, find one that you can re-sell. $180K is a lot to throw towards a car, but if you have the means to do it, go for it. They are fun cars, and even more fun on the track. (Remember - only track a car you can afford to lose in a crash.)

I'm on the hunt for my third Porsche (not trying to flex or anything.) But I'm looking to get into a more competitive class with my local PCA club, and eventually get my race license to participate in club racing. My 986 Boxster is dual duty for track and street. I would like a 996 again, or a 997, but the prices are getting close to one another these days, but of course, there are a variety of factors that play into the prices. 997.2 prices are still demanding a pretty penny, and going back to my rule, it's a car I can't afford, or don't want to lose in a crash. Hard for me to boot around town in a 997 to get groceries and whatnot. It'd be a pretty boring drive and likely any wrong move will result in jail time or whatever.

Edit: IMS and Bore scoring - I'm not a big subscriber of these two items. My 996 was ok. And so was my 986. Bore scoring - most cars will have them, so it's a matter of when, like Traum said. I'd happily buy a 997.1 with bore scoring within limits, but that's just me, so buyer beware. Also, as Traum mentioned, newer cars will require that stupid PIWIS computer to work on. They are not cheap to come by, so you need to take it to a shop.

Edit 2: A lot of guys I go to the track with have over 180,000km on their 987 and 997 original engines, and all are original Canadian cars. Is there bore scoring? Yes, but these guys are wringing their engines to red line and over revving it like crazy. So far, so good. But take that with a grain of salt.

I was close to getting a Panamera as I had a really good experience with one a while back, and still really enjoy them, but insurance is a bitch, and they are total money pits. Porsches are the worst. Be prepared to be poor. Hope that helps.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-23-2024 at 09:10 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2024, 09:18 PM   #21297
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,803 Times in 724 Posts
Does anyone here practice jiu jitsu?

I just heard a Dana White interview saying that a 16 year old girl who's competent in jiu jitsu could choke you the f*ck out and you wouldn't stand a chance.

Is that really the case? Like against a 30 year old man who is in decent shape, is that possible?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:20 PM   #21298
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,830 Times in 4,430 Posts
My cousin is entering a competition next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:26 PM   #21299
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,125 Posts
After taking a 991.2 C4S out on a long-ish test drive, I am not terribly sure a Porsche or a 911 is in my future. The car makes 340hp and I never lacked power, but it was so composed that I echo what dukes said about it being a boring drive.

What exactly are you trying to achieve with the car?

If you want a track car, a more recent BMW M car or Zupra, or dare I say Mustang Dark Horse might give you better bang for your buck.
If you want a visceral, alive, an event every time you take it out kind of experience, something from the 90's might tickle your fancy more.
If you are looking for noise, get a V8.

The Porsche argument is a hard one. I know I just made a bunch of points against it, but deep inside I want to try owning one. If that's your case right now, then go find one based on Duke's points and make it happen.

I was told that the C4S might just be too civilized for me, and my entry really needs to be GTS and up. But like you, at 150k+, is it really worth it? The one thing with the C4S is, it reminds me of my F80 M3. The F80 M3 is tip top of what BMW could achieve for that generation, which Porsche meets with their basic car, so there's always that consideration that the Porsche chassis is just that much more competent.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:31 PM   #21300

Thanked 1,777 Times in 916 Posts
No shock here but Messi isn't playing this weekend let alone even bother traveling to Vancouver with the team. 2 of the other stars as well. My sons disappointed and honestly not even because of Messi because he was fully prepared this would happen but that the other 2 guys aren't coming that was his oh wells at least I can still see them consolation prize. Thankfully, we weren't dumb enough to gamble on the secondary market for tickets and we'll still have some good father son time.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote