REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #11876
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I watched them too before going on trips to Asia.
However, recently learning that Mikey Chen is a Falun Gong follower kinda turned me off of him
My cousin hung out with him once when he was in town, said he gave off an arrogant vibe off camera. He seems nice enough on camera to me lol.
I find that my palette is very similar to his because I also like spicy so I have a habit of re-watching his videos before I head to a specific country to eat! He actually found a couple spots in Van that I didn't know about - I went to try them and enjoyed it. Like Joojak on by Joyce Station for Xian food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Yeah, I don't enjoy her content without Sunny.

Sunny and asian chef/taco guy is hilarious (Calvin).
Agreed, they had good chemistry and Sunny is a good host.
I also tried watching some of her solo stuff and couldn't get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I can't with Mark Weins. He's not got a particularly good palette for taste and leans toward heavy and spicy foods. And his head bobbing... Can't stand it.
I usually cross-reference Mark and Mike, if they both said it's good it would be on my must-eat when I travel. But I don't like how Mark basically never says anything is bad
You learn to read his "orgasm" face and body language haha, the more he leans, the better the food like a taste-o-meter haha. But I agree sometimes it is too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
I've been watching the latter for a while now and their production quality is super top notch, it's basically TV quality. This was prob the best female co-host he had cuz reasons

http://youtu.be/xC59J_2e2DM
Both are cute, Shizuka is more girl next door, this host looks like a typical Vancouver clubbing chick. I ain't complaining though haha
Advertisement
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #11877
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,911 Posts
Anyone know how to troubleshoot wechat on ios?

My mom's wechat doesn't let her make or receive calls, it just shows the app trying to make a video/voice call then it says the person must be busy

The only way I've found to get it working again, is to reinstall wechat for her, but after a day it messes up again

I don't use ios or wechat so I can't figure it out
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #11878
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,082 Posts
Did she update her iOS? They have recent new privacy enhancements so maybe they aren’t playing nice anymore because wechat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #11879

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Did she update her iOS? They have recent new privacy enhancements so maybe they aren’t playing nice anymore because wechat
I think it might be a pop up asking for permission to access the local network, previously told her to just click no to all requests, but that's a new one with a delayed popup that doesn't come up when I reinstall her app

So far so good but guess I'll see
Old 05-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #11880
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
My cousin hung out with him once when he was in town, said he gave off an arrogant vibe off camera. He seems nice enough on camera to me lol.
I find that my palette is very similar to his because I also like spicy so I have a habit of re-watching his videos before I head to a specific country to eat! He actually found a couple spots in Van that I didn't know about - I went to try them and enjoyed it. Like Joojak on by Joyce Station for Xian food.
Also didn't mention that I eat quite a bit too (not as much as him, he can really pack it down) so his buffet recommendations were perfect for me.
I went to the Lobster buffet in Taiwan, A-MA-ZING.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2021, 05:42 PM   #11881
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,415 Posts
I am going to have to try that next time. I've been to INPARADISE and I highly recommend that place for a buffet lunch.

Shin Yeh has a good Japanese-style buffet as well.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #11882
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,778 Times in 712 Posts
ICBC Insurance Question

Hey RS,

I have an old bimmer that's probably only worth $5k at most.

I was just wondering if you think it's worth it to get collision and Comprehensive coverage. Are those two mandatory?

I was thinking, if possible to only get basic insurance and third party liability.

If i decline collision and comprehensive, I would say almost $500 for the year.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #11883
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,562 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
ICBC Insurance Question

Hey RS,

I have an old bimmer that's probably only worth $5k at most.

I was just wondering if you think it's worth it to get collision and Comprehensive coverage. Are those two mandatory?

I was thinking, if possible to only get basic insurance and third party liability.

If i decline collision and comprehensive, I would say almost $500 for the year.
If daily driver and you drive on hwy alot, I would say comp is worth it just for the windshield deductible. The one time I didn't have the $300 deductible for comp, I paid $500 or $750 (don't remember) on two cars each FML.

Collision probably not worth it. Only thing is that if you mess up, deemed at fault for the accident, and it's a total loss, you won't get paid out.

I'd compare if the car has part out value vs market value as to what ICBC would give you for the car.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #11884

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post

Collision probably not worth it. Only thing is that if you mess up, deemed at fault for the accident, and it's a total loss, you won't get paid out.

Unless this is something that's changed in the last few months, I'm going to have to disagree.

Personal experience from last March is that I was in an at-fault accident, had my truck written off, and got paid out within 2 weeks.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:23 PM   #11885
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,587 Times in 4,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
Unless this is something that's changed in the last few months, I'm going to have to disagree.

Personal experience from last March is that I was in an at-fault accident, had my truck written off, and got paid out within 2 weeks.
If you don't have collision coverage and the accident is your fault, they won't cover your car.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2021, 11:21 PM   #11886

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
If you don't have collision coverage and the accident is your fault, they won't cover your car.
Oh I totally misread and misunderstood - I processed that as "collision probably isn't worth it - they won't pay out for a total loss".

D'oh
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:14 PM   #11887
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,562 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
Oh I totally misread and misunderstood - I processed that as "collision probably isn't worth it - they won't pay out for a total loss".

D'oh
I mean their payout sucks anyway. I got 21 for a car worth 28+ on market.

|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #11888
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,529 Times in 4,913 Posts
Just made some Japanese somen. It'll be nice and cold by tomorrow..........

Hiyashi soba is not my thing, but somen........... nothing like it on a hot day. Ice cold tsuyu with thinly sliced shiitake and onions. Chopped green onions on top. Pass the tsuyu through crushed ice just before serving. Shiitake and onions added after the crushed ice, of course.

https://pickledplum.com/somen-noodles/

Secret is to rinse the noodles well and form them into balls, using chopsticks. Don't overcook the noodles. I don't use ice on the noodles. Let the ice cold tsuyu do the magic.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 06-02-2021 at 06:07 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #11889

I'm going out to grab a generator right now

I just need it to power a fridge n freezer tomorrow while I get my service upgraded

Any recommendations?

Quote:
Just made some Japanese somen. It'll be nice and cold by tomorrow..........

Hiyashi soba is not my thing, but somen........... nothing like it on a hot day. Ice cold tsuyu with thinly sliced shiitake and onions. Chopped green onions on top. Pass the tsuyu through crushed ice just before serving. Shiitake and onions added after the crushed ice, of course.

I love some /drool
Old 06-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #11890
MG1

https://www.bestgenerator.org/invert...he-difference/

Inverter generator or conventional generator........... hybrid?

This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #11891
MG1

OMG! I make my own mochi at home for new years, using a National Mochi Making Machine. I inherited it when my mom passed away two years ago. Anyway, the hardest part was measuring and soaking the sweet rice properly (overnight). Not too long or too little. My mom used those cheap, plastic dollar store colanders. Always broke or had large holes. I thought, there must be something better. I didn't like the mesh ones as they got crushed or bent out of shape easily. Well, I found these and they finally went on sale on Black Friday. I got to use them for other than making sweet rice.

https://www.zwilling.com/ca/zwilling...8aApJ_EALw_wcB

So good these are. I don't have use for these large colanders for any other purpose than soaking sweet rice. Today, I used them to make the somen noodles. Instead of making a half package of somen, I used all of it. Used two 7.5 quart mixing bowls with the zwilling colanders.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/stor...mixing%20bowls

A perfect, well almost perfect, fit. Zwilling doesn't make a bowl large enough for their largest size colander, lol. If my wife were still alive, she'd be like WTF? You spent how much on a colander? If she had the opportunity to use them she'd be like, "Good choice." Nothing replaces well designed tools that are meant to last.

The little things in life, eh?

This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #11892
MG1

New section at Brentwood opened up two days ago. Very nice. Still not 100% operational, but I was impressed.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #11893

Quote:
https://www.bestgenerator.org/invert...he-difference/

Inverter generator or conventional generator........... hybrid?
Oooh that's good to know thanks, wish I researched it more before going out to home depot to buy a generator

Wonder if I can return mine after tearing up the box already :/
Old 06-02-2021, 10:43 PM   #11894

Quote:
OMG! I make my own mochi at home for new years, using a National Mochi Making Machine. I inherited it when my mom passed away two years ago. Anyway, the hardest part was measuring and soaking the sweet rice properly (overnight). Not too long or too little. My mom used those cheap, plastic dollar store colanders. Always broke or had large holes. I thought, there must be something better. I didn't like the mesh ones as they got crushed or bent out of shape easily. Well, I found these and they finally went on sale on Black Friday. I got to use them for other than making sweet rice.

https://www.zwilling.com/ca/zwilling...8aApJ_EALw_wcB

So good these are. I don't have use for these large colanders for any other purpose than soaking sweet rice. Today, I used them to make the somen noodles. Instead of making a half package of somen, I used all of it. Used two 7.5 quart mixing bowls with the zwilling colanders.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/stor...mixing%20bowls

A perfect, well almost perfect, fit. Zwilling doesn't make a bowl large enough for their largest size colander, lol. If my wife were still alive, she'd be like WTF? You spent how much on a colander? If she had the opportunity to use them she'd be like, "Good choice." Nothing replaces well designed tools that are meant to last.

The little things in life, eh?
I always try to buy the best of even the most mundane pieces of kitchen equipment bcuz my mom is very much the opposite, and it always drove me crazy, so once I started making my own money I insisted on replacing all her little kitchen utensils and gadgets with the best I could find, that colander looks perfect, thank you

Quote:
New section at Brentwood opened up two days ago. Very nice. Still not 100% operational, but I was impressed.
Ooo I almost forgot they were building this place, been wanting to check it out
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 12:06 AM   #11895
MG1

Still McDonald's not open.......... at least last I heard. Love the Starbucks and the fountain that lights up in funky colours at night (where Starbucks is located). Skytrain people are probably used to all this. But, you know.......... us lowly drivers know little about that part of urban life.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #11896

Was going to have a service upgrade to my house today, and electrician cancelled, saying BChydro cancelled because someone died on the job yesterday, so they have to go over safety protocols this morning.... oO don't hydro workplace deaths always hit the news? Seems kinda sus

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-03-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #11897
MG1

My daughter celebrated her birthday the other day. She wanted to spend some time with the old man. Being the only surviving parent and never knowing what the future holds, it made sense. I was thinking of usual stuff like canoeing or karting, which she doesn’t like. She like escape rooms, so we went to Evolve on Broadway. I haven’t had that much fun in quite some time it took a while to get used to the VR equipment and the controls, but it was a complete hoot. We chose the space station scenario. It wasn’t too hard or overly simple. I thought I would struggle, but it was relatively intuitive. My daughter was thinking old man wouldn’t survive. After all I grew up with no technology. In high school, we used slide rules. No fancy calculators or computers of any kind. We had cars……. horse drawn carriages were phased out, lol. Anyway, in the end, dad saved the day and solved the problem. Space ship did not crash land and millions of lives were saved!

Old 06-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #11898
MG1

I purchased this from Sakuraya (Kim's Mart) on Broadway last month. I'm now on my second pouch. This stuff is amazing. Not quite sure how to describe it. When I first opened up the package, I was like, WTF did I just buy?

https://jalna.blogspot.com/2019/06/k...aku-shoyu.html

Lol, I didn't know the pouch had the zip lock opening feature. I just cut the package with a pair of scissors and emptied the contents into one of those cheap, always on sale, Anchor Hocking, Canadian Tire glass containers. Anyway, the whatever it's called, is one of the best new things I've tried in the last little while (gotta get out more, I guess). Follow bcrdukes, perhaps?

While on the topic of soy sauce............

https://www.kikkoman.com/en/shokuiku.../index_en.html

I'm more a Yamasa kind of guy, but there are times I like the Kikkoman. Kimlan, no thanks. That shit should not be used with any kind of sashimi or sushi. BTW, I'm talking regular over the counter, peasant, soy sauce. Like whiskey, there are amazing soy sauces out there that are rare and expensive. Like kinzanji miso (a little off topic here). A distant relative on my brother-in-law's side, makes kinanji miso in Japan. Not available to the public - only to the Imperial Palace. My sister got some samples of it and holy bejeezus, cannot forget to this day how amazing it tasted. Flavour of the gods came to mind.

Last edited by MG1; 06-04-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #11899
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
My daughter celebrated her birthday the other day. She wanted to spend some time with the old man. Being the only surviving parent and never knowing what the future holds, it made sense. I was thinking of usual stuff like canoeing or karting, which she doesn’t like. She like escape rooms, so we went to Evolve on Broadway. I haven’t had that much fun in quite some time it took a while to get used to the VR equipment and the controls, but it was a complete hoot. We chose the space station scenario. It wasn’t too hard or overly simple. I thought I would struggle, but it was relatively intuitive. My daughter was thinking old man wouldn’t survive. After all I grew up with no technology. In high school, we used slide rules. No fancy calculators or computers of any kind. We had cars……. horse drawn carriages were phased out, lol. Anyway, in the end, dad saved the day and solved the problem. Space ship did not crash land and millions of lives were saved!
Is that the same place that has the VR for zombie attack? I was going to go with a bunch of friends last year for his birthday but then this small inconvenience regarding gatherings happened so it's been on the backburner ever since and we kind of forgot about it ... maybe later this year.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #11900
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,415 Posts
Any gardening pros?

https://imgur.com/a/DKY9FKu

My dad has a small vegetable garden that he's been maintaining for the past three years. This year it seems to not be doing too good based on what I hear from him.

There is a plot in the garden where nothing seems to be growing. The plants in there are of melon or zucchini, I have to double check. They're the same size as they were like a month ago and the leaves look like they're dying. We changed the soil in that area about two weeks ago with a triple mix from Home Depot.

I am wondering if he planted the small plants too soon so they're dying quickly in the new soil. Then again, I think he's probably been doing it the same way the last couple of years so I think it must be something else.

There also seems to be some plants in areas that are just dying for some reason. Perfect example would be the pepper plant in the imgur link. The other pepper plants in that area seem to be fine.

My dad will randomly sprinkle this white pellet thing that he says is a fertilizer on top of the leaves. You can see it in some of the pictures. I think that's the cause of the white spots on the large vegetable plant in the last picture.

Any immediate things I can do to help with his garden? I saw some fertilizer at Home Depot the last time we went where we dilute it with water and spray once a week. Would that help?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote