REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:08 PM   #19526
in the butt

Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Here in Canada, is there really that much point to take on additional jobs for an extra $80 - $100k?
. So magically that extra $100k you get only becomes $55k.
I would counter your opinion, 110% yes its worth it.

This is exactly why people cant afford the things they want.

Someone making 100k, (according to this forum) is broke because they have a mortgage, and 2 kids. Ex 0$ spending money left over.
Or those single friends making 100k, but dont have 10k in their bank account, no property, and no stocks.

If that same person worked A SINGLE YEAR like a slave, and made an extra 100k (55k net):
They would have:
- cheap family vacations paid for, for the next 5 years
-or a cheap 911
-or invest that 55k into stonks (sp500) and suddenly your 1 year of slavery will ballon to however much that is 10 years down the road, 130k? 25 years > 480k @ 9% average.
-or an investment condo
-or just alot more hooker, blow, chanel bags, and plastic surgery (poor long term life choices)

Sucking the company cock, when i was young, made me be able to do all the things i can do today.
Yeah my upper tax bracket was a joke and daddy government took 42% of it, but that 58% i had left over, was pure savings

Now im god dam lazy, and hardly work 40hr weeks. Only if i have a goal (another condo, c7, expensive vacation) i will take up weekends, night work, etc.

My buddy is 35, lived his entire life working 40hr weeks, spending all his cash, and does not have much to his name.
This year he took a step back, realized he is 10 years too late, and now started to suck the company cock working 60-80hr weeks, taking every job he can.
He wants to buy a property, and im cheering him on every time he texts me "just worked a double shift" or "cant come out tonight, night shift baby".

I want to see him succeed, not be homeless when he is 65 and cant work anymore, and most of all, have my friends around when im at that age (and still have money)

I worry for some of my friends that are nearing 30 or 40, and spend all their money on new condo leases to rent, 700$/mo car leases, and 30$ bowls of noodles.
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM   #19527
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,524 Posts
We just hired a warehouse manager at work (which btw took a long ass time to fill the position). This is a day job, but is ironically his second job. We pay him $42K/yr iirc. He said that he's still young (just hit 30) and needs to grind it out.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 12:33 AM   #19528
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
I would counter your opinion, 110% yes its worth it.

This is exactly why people cant afford the things they want.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on grinding it out hard when we were still young -- that (and living at my parents' place) was exactly how I was able to save up enough money to try a few hobbies and come up with that down payment on my first apartment. I was certainly nowhere close to pulling in even just $100k total, but back then, it was enough to get me started.

But now that I'm 40+ and have my own family, it is exactly as EvoFire was saying -- it really is too difficult to do, esp if you still want to be a present dad. I'd much rather spend the time with my kid because he won't stay young for long. And my 40+ yrs old stamina is nowhere close to my 30+ yrs old stamina, which is in turn nowhere close to my 20+ yrs old stamina. I am certainly much lazier now than I was even just 10 years ago, but not having the same level of energy and endurance -- both physically and mentally -- is also a major dis-incentive to take on that 2nd job.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 01:15 AM   #19529
in the butt

Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,192 Posts
Is missing one year of your kids life gonna make a difference? Especially if they are under like 8 years old and they wownt remember any of it anyways?

One missed year of your kids life = college paid for 10 years later, or an all expenses paid trip to europe for graduating with high grades (with or without you), or a deposit on their first condo

I will never forget the fact that my dad gave me 20k towards my first condo, and my mom gave me 5 or 10k

If those numbers were 50k and 100k, because they decided to work a year instead of being around, i would be financially set up for the rest of my life

In regards to working when your 30 and 40 at same pace as 20, defs not possible unless your single and got nothing better going on

Each to their own, im just throwing out my own views on how something "so small' can make a massive difference for your / or someone elses future. There aint no wrong answers here if your satisfied with your life

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 02:07 AM   #19530
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Here in Canada, is there really that much point to take on additional jobs for an extra $80 - $100k? Unless it is some sort of cash gigs -- but what kind of legit cash gigs can pay you that much? -- you're splitting a good chunk of that with the provincial and federal governments -- above the $150k mark, I think the fed tax rate is 26 - 29%, and the BC rate is ~15%. So magically that extra $100k you get only becomes $55k.

For it to be worth your while, it's gotta be something where you can legally dodge the tax man's extortion.
There is a point, a second job would probably be taken with contract and be billed with a company. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong, but I can leave the money in the company and not pay myself and therefore not incur the personal income tax. With that money I can invest and pay myself later on down the road if I want to retire early or not work as much.

The alternative of paying myself out everything would still leave me an extra $50k in my pocket. It would mean I can pay for an Asia trip, hit up track days, or even just invest it without hurting my everyday life.

Alas, the kids are a bit more important right now and it's not like I have time to hit up A27 quite just yet. I think in a few years and when the market is better this would be potential scenario.

I agree with donk as I had two jobs the first few years out of university. The benefits are immense.
- I make extra money
- Going to work meant not going out, which meant I actually spend less money
- I worked part time at a produce company and I could pick at the throw out or return piles and bring home enough veggies fruits to make an impact on my grocery bill.

All that meant I had enough money saved up for a ring, a trip to Europe, a trip to Asia, weather a layoff, and still saved enough for our wedding without incurring debt.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 05:02 AM   #19531
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,590 Times in 4,339 Posts
You forgot the blue BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 06:05 AM   #19532
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,410 Times in 5,677 Posts
Work enough jobs so you don’t have time to do anything else.

Damn, Canada is well on its way to its Soviet era.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:25 AM   #19533
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,187 Times in 969 Posts
Quote:
Is missing one year of your kids life gonna make a difference? Especially if they are under like 8 years old and they wownt remember any of it anyways?
I read this (https://levelupwithethanevans.substa...-children-will) the other day and it really resonated with me particularly this line:

Quote:
The “Magic Window of Childhood” is years 0-10 because you (the parent) are your child’s favorite person in the world. Don’t miss out. Be present.
The article is about co-workers but there are several points about parenthood and the whole thing is titled "In 20 years only your children will remember that you worked late."

My kid is almost 5 and over the past few years I've made the deliberate choice to pursue jobs that let me prioritise family life with the consequence of giving up a significant amount of income. Right now I get to work a 4 day week fully remote and I'm so much more present for my kid and my wife than before. All the parents I know express envy and jealousy at my 4 day week as I'm lucky enough that I can make that choice and take the financial hit cause most of us wouldn't want to miss any time with our kids.

OTOH, in my early career I worked my ass off even though I was on salary - it was common for me to work 60+ hours week but I was single.

Last edited by supafamous; 01-10-2024 at 06:38 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 07:12 AM   #19534
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,623 Times in 5,179 Posts
I definitely remember as a kid that my dad travelled a lot and that he would be gone like half the year and it had an effect on me... I remember one year for father's day at school I refused to make him a card because he'd been gone for like 2 months and the teacher kept asking me why and I just kept saying I didn't want to but refused to tell them the reason and the teacher ended up reporting to the principal that I was perhaps suffering some sort of abuse at home and child services got involved and stuff lol
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 07:35 AM   #19535
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,769 Times in 910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I had been thinking of the 2 job thing to make finances easier at home. At the end of the day it's too hard with two kids and still be a present dad so we'll just try to cut back on spending instead. I can potentially squeeze out another 80-100k but at the expense of my life expectancy.
No joke the thought has crossed my mind quite a few times but the only time I have available which is my only current down time is between 11pm-3am. Mon - Fri I'm working followed by picking up kids, after school snack, getting dinner ready, clean up, homework if any, hang with kids, kids go to sleep. Weekends replace work with kids lessons and well just simply needing to watch them. After 10/11 is when I chill, go to the gym, watch some shows and stuff. What are realistic options though? Uber I guess? I don't know the options are probably few but honestly haven't looked, committing to an actual job other than something like Uber would be hard because while I've trained my body to sleep at 3am and wake up at 730am and operate normally there are days I'm just too tired and having to commit to an employer at those hours would be difficult.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 07:50 AM   #19536
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,471 Times in 996 Posts
i think its ok to work your ass off with two jobs as long as you're not severely burning out. being tired is ok but hating your life is not ok and never worth it. unfortunately these things go hand in hand. if you're working 16h a day there's almost no way you can be happy for long. when we're really busy at work sometimes i work about 10 hours a day and saturdays too so maybe up to 60 hours and already has a negative effect on me. i can't imagine 80 hours a week... insane.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:08 AM   #19537
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,930 Posts
There will be another window in your life (for those who have kids) for you to work your ass off, once your youngest kid hits maybe 17, and goes to University/College level. When you reach that point, you will have a lot of spare time.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:16 AM   #19538

Quote:

One missed year of your kids life = college paid for 10 years later, or an all expenses paid trip to europe for graduating with high grades (with or without you), or a deposit on their first condo

I will never forget the fact that my dad gave me 20k towards my first condo, and my mom gave me 5 or 10k

If those numbers were 50k and 100k, because they decided to work a year instead of being around, i would be financially set up for the rest of my life

In regards to working when your 30 and 40 at same pace as 20, defs not possible unless your single and got nothing better going on

Each to their own, im just throwing out my own views on how something "so small' can make a massive difference for your / or someone elses future. There aint no wrong answers here if your satisfied with your life
It is and it does make a huge difference. Lots of people here who have commented about wishing their parents were more present (but also the style parenting as well). You may not realize what you may have lost because you had the benefit of parents bring around? I can't tell because I don't know your history and how your relationship is like with your parents.

For me with my two kids I can definitely see a difference of my presence vs not.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:20 AM   #19539
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
I think a lot of you guys have this idea in your head that your 2nd job is one that you can only do after your regular 9 to 5. Uber driving, Service, manual labour jobs, etc.

With remote jobs now and "Overemployment" means you can do your 2nd job at THE SAME TIME as your 1st job. Yes two 9-5 jobs. or maybe one 6-2 and 9-5 overlapping. You can still have the same amount of free time to spend with your kids. That's the proposition for a lot of Gen Z Younger Millennials SWE types. THere's whole strategies around how you can attend 2 meetings at the same time, etc.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:03 AM   #19540
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,834 Times in 3,184 Posts
I mean yeah you could but that’s taking away from all your spare time. I’d have to, god forbid, close my RS window and actually manage my time

Plus if any of the employers find out you have a side gig that’s a quick trip to the unemployment line
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:08 AM   #19541
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,590 Times in 4,339 Posts
Unemployment? That's what the bank of mom and dad is for!
Quote:
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:12 AM   #19542

Quote:
I mean yeah you could but that’s taking away from all your spare time. I’d have to, god forbid, close my RS window and actually manage my time

Plus if any of the employers find out you have a side gig that’s a quick trip to the unemployment line
No, then you still have your second job.

And yes we are talking about managing two day jobs if you are full remote. If you need to go into the office it gets hard.

I missed my chance at the beginning of covid as everything kind of just died down for a bit.

It'll still bleed into the night time significantly though, you never get everything you need to get done during the day so the "grunt work" so to speak that doesn't require any collab will get pushed to after all the kids go to bed.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:13 AM   #19543
linguistic ninja

Lol Look I'm not speaking from 1st hand experience but I'm pretty sure it's not a theoretical thing. There's literally thousands of people who do it (I'm pretty sure I worked with guys who did it) and are trading stories on this subreddit. For me all this RS time I could be spending on a 2nd job but I love you guys too much and/or too lazy.

And if you lose one of your jobs, who cares! You'll have a 2nd one to fall back on. Then repeat the cycle finding a new 2nd job.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:17 AM   #19544
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
Damn you are practically describing my daily life LOL~ Then again, I think most middle class working parents probably live like that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
No joke the thought has crossed my mind quite a few times but the only time I have available which is my only current down time is between 11pm-3am. Mon - Fri I'm working followed by picking up kids, after school snack, getting dinner ready, clean up, homework if any, hang with kids, kids go to sleep. Weekends replace work with kids lessons and well just simply needing to watch them. After 10/11 is when I chill, go to the gym, watch some shows and stuff. What are realistic options though? Uber I guess? I don't know the options are probably few but honestly haven't looked, committing to an actual job other than something like Uber would be hard because while I've trained my body to sleep at 3am and wake up at 730am and operate normally there are days I'm just too tired and having to commit to an employer at those hours would be difficult.
When my family first immigrated to Canada, we did a version of the typical "astronaut family" thing -- my dad come here to set up and settle down first all on his own. Then 4 - 5 months later, the kids came to start school -- I started grade 6 in Canada -- but Mom continued to work in Hong Kong for another 2 years, only taking paid and unpaid vacation time to visit us.

Looking back at that time now as an adult, what my parents did was certainly the less risky, and more financially conservative move -- if our immigration plans were turning sour, we had a good fallback plan we can rely on. But from talking to my mom when I got a bit older, my mom told me she always felt guilty about missing some 20 months of our preteen / teenage lives. In particular, there was one time when she just arrived from Hong Kong, and was about to cook us a meal, but she had no idea where things are in the kitchen, and it made her feel like a failure as a mom.

It is also interesting that starting in my mid teens, my dad's working career began to pick up, and he started spending A LOT of time grinding at work. As I was already in my mid teens, I didn't really care for the most part, and not having him around actually afforded more freedom to do whatever I wanted to do. But his absence at home put a severe strain on the relationship between my parents to the point where they almost got divorced, and I certainly can't say that would be good.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:24 AM   #19545
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,410 Times in 5,677 Posts
What a depressing state of affairs for parents these days lol..

I worked so hard to provide a good life for my kids that they barely know/hate me!

Canadurrrr

Almost anyone I know who either A) grew up in a one parent household, or B) lived in those households where the parent was overseas working for the majority of the year almost all have a completely fucked up view on parenthood/parental relationships
Old 01-10-2024, 09:25 AM   #19546
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,187 Times in 969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
It is and it does make a huge difference. Lots of people here who have commented about wishing their parents were more present (but also the style parenting as well). You may not realize what you may have lost because you had the benefit of parents bring around? I can't tell because I don't know your history and how your relationship is like with your parents.

For me with my two kids I can definitely see a difference of my presence vs not.
My parents worked a lot when I was a kid b/c we were working class folks but also b/c they had a couple businesses (a restaurant when I was around 3-4 years old and then a grocery store when I was around 10-12 years old) that they ran. Dad would do his day job as a trucker that ran from 4a-1p and then would go to the grocery store and work till dinner time while Mom ran the store from 7a till closing.

When they didn't have businesses my dad would pick up handyman jobs all the time and my mom would always pick up extra hours at work. There were no afterschool activities (other than Chinese school) that they took us too b/c we couldn't afford it and they were too busy to take us. I certainly didn't see them as much as my kid sees me - my kid rarely even sees me leave the house for work (like 1 out of 20 days?).

They kinda had to do it though - this is the immigrant story of sacrifice for the next generation right? I don't have to sacrifice as much b/c of their sacrifice (or our sacrifice).
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:54 AM   #19547
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

I worked so hard to provide a good life for my kids that they barely know/hate me!

Canadurrrr

Almost anyone I know who either A) grew up in a one parent household, or B) lived in those households where the parent was overseas working for the majority of the year almost all have a completely fucked up view on parenthood/parental relationships
I mean I don't know what point you're trying to make here other than TrUdOpe BaD again?. If these were the effects of your 30-something peers these days then it's something that's been occurring for the past 40 years. Hardly just a thing happening "these days"

Old 01-10-2024, 10:06 AM   #19548
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
Quote:
thats really grinding hard and even at 200k a year you still wont be able to buy your average vancouver detached home unless you can magically save up 200-300k for the downpayment. Thats doing buddy guy shit like living with 10 other dudes, and eating absolute trash for 10 years while hoping the price of homes dont keep going up.

its hopeless for these kids. if i was 20 years old right id be playing league of legends at work too and fucking off because what's the point. Ill be tethered to mom and dad forever and ill never be able to afford jack shit.
Welp most of us have been grinding for way less

Grinding 2 - 3 jobs for a 1BR condo in Coquitlam / Langley / Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
That's the mentality these days of this young generation. "Well I don't make enough or can't afford anything anyways, why work hard". It's that mental behavior that fucks them over where they choose to do jack all.

Like to me, I'll think of other ways to get to that goal. Whether work 2 or 3 jobs, rob a fucking bank, find a loaded husband/wife or whatever. At least your thinking outside the box to become resourceful, rather that shitty mindset to not do anything.

Everyday I see the news people bitching about affordability, like do you think getting a few bucks pay increase going to make a difference LOL. A few weeks ago before Christmas I was at Safeway self check-out, and the self check out lady was bitching how she can't afford jack, and it would be nice if Safeway paid her $26/hour (she wasn't expecting to be paid $50/hr). In my mind, sure Safeway can pay you $26/hour, turns around jacks up all the consumer goods to compensate the increase in labour cost. In the end, your $26/hr now is still what it was before LOL. Then your going to want $30/hour, it's just endless cycle.
I agree with ya. The logical step is to figure out what we can do now that we can't afford anything. I realized nobody wants to hear work 2 - 3 jobs, work 9-9-6 until you have enough to make it. Or go back to school to join the booming industries. I think almost every other friend who's sibling is under 25 right now is a deadbeat in their own way, either no work, dead end job, or given up on life and playing league 12 hours a day. At least go pro in league!

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:07 AM   #19549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Canadurrrr

There's a different challenge everywhere you go and it evolves with every generation.

Lots of us here lived through the non-present parent situation and are trying hard to fix that for our kids, or decide to not have kids at all. Who knows what trauma we bring to our kids and they decide they need to fix it from the lessons learned there, that's how things evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
My parents worked a lot when I was a kid b/c we were working class folks but also b/c they had a couple businesses (a restaurant when I was around 3-4 years old and then a grocery store when I was around 10-12 years old) that they ran. Dad would do his day job as a trucker that ran from 4a-1p and then would go to the grocery store and work till dinner time while Mom ran the store from 7a till closing.

When they didn't have businesses my dad would pick up handyman jobs all the time and my mom would always pick up extra hours at work. There were no afterschool activities (other than Chinese school) that they took us too b/c we couldn't afford it and they were too busy to take us. I certainly didn't see them as much as my kid sees me - my kid rarely even sees me leave the house for work (like 1 out of 20 days?).

They kinda had to do it though - this is the immigrant story of sacrifice for the next generation right? I don't have to sacrifice as much b/c of their sacrifice (or our sacrifice).
That's basically most of us immigrant kids or 1st generation CBC. My parents worked in restaurants and were still asleep when I went to school and came home after I was supposed to go to bed. Their dayoffs were during the week which meant it never lines up with school unless I am on a school break.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 10:13 AM   #19550
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
Quote:

Now im god dam lazy, and hardly work 40hr weeks. Only if i have a goal (another condo, c7, expensive vacation) i will take up weekends, night work, etc.
My mans is LIVING THE DREAM, I find when you finally reach your goals of housing, cars, money for travel and hobbies. There's 0 desire to work for more. Maybe when I have kids and need extra cash I'd be motivated to go find that extra $30-100K+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
We just hired a warehouse manager at work (which btw took a long ass time to fill the position). This is a day job, but is ironically his second job. We pay him $42K/yr iirc. He said that he's still young (just hit 30) and needs to grind it out.
Man there's almost no upwards trajectory in warehouse management. But at the same time you don't wanna offer more than $20-21/hour. His whole life will be a grind.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote