REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-29-2024, 09:47 PM   #20951
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,871 Times in 8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I went to a friends 100 day event for their new born (Chinese celebration for newborns) and was sitting next to my wife's friend and her boyfriend. We got to talking about their possible engagement and the girl absolutely does not want a lab grown diamond. She expects at least a 1.5C diamond ring.

I was getting so fooking pissed and I'm not even the one with her. I had to bite my tongue, but felt so bad for the guy. Like, why the f*ck do you need an earth-grown diamond when a lab grown diamond is identical in every single way.

I just went on blue nile and an earth grown 1.5C diamond is roughly $9,100 and the exact same lab grown diamond is $2,500.

Then I asked my wife about it and then she said she understands her friend and now I'm so f*cking pissed at my wife for agreeing with her.. lol, for f*cks sakes. These girls are out of their mind.
I failed you, but that's for your wife. Send that fail her way please
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:25 PM   #20952
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,328 Times in 2,525 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've shared the story here before -- back when we were looking for an engagement ring, I asked my gf at the time whether she wanted me to buy her a nice rock, or put the money towards the wedding and our apartment's down payment instead. She thought about it for a bit, and decided that we should spend the money on the wedding and down payment instead. (It ended up mostly going to the down payment.)

I got her a ring with a 1.25 or 1.5C moissanite for ~$800. An equivalently sized (natural) diamond was in the $8k - $12k range. I think the one from Tiffany was close to $18k (or maybe $20k). Back then I think lab grown rocks were just starting to become a thing. But if it was available for $2500, I probably would have gone for it instead of the moissanite ring.

That's why le wifey is a keeper lol~
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2024, 11:27 PM   #20953
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,701 Times in 5,216 Posts
I mean fair warning by the guy's gf of who she really is and what matters to her... he can just dump her now and save himself a lot of future headaches!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2024, 12:43 AM   #20954
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,879 Times in 3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I went to a friends 100 day event for their new born (Chinese celebration for newborns) and was sitting next to my wife's friend and her boyfriend. We got to talking about their possible engagement and the girl absolutely does not want a lab grown diamond. She expects at least a 1.5C diamond ring.

I was getting so fooking pissed and I'm not even the one with her. I had to bite my tongue, but felt so bad for the guy. Like, why the f*ck do you need an earth-grown diamond when a lab grown diamond is identical in every single way.

I just went on blue nile and an earth grown 1.5C diamond is roughly $9,100 and the exact same lab grown diamond is $2,500.

Then I asked my wife about it and then she said she understands her friend and now I'm so f*cking pissed at my wife for agreeing with her.. lol, for f*cks sakes. These girls are out of their mind.
The size of it is a bit cunty but if they are financially well off, whatever.
The reason you want a blood diamond is because the resale is a lot higher than lab grown. Lab grown is ethical but who gives a shit. It’s all about how many people you can oppress with your financial status.

Thus you can see tons of articles saying people are shying away from lab grown because they literally have no resale value.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:00 AM   #20955
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,432 Times in 5,688 Posts
This discussion has been had in the engagement ring thread, but to me, lab grown diamonds are nothing. What some nerd created your ring in a vice in the back of a mall?

There’s nothing to a lab grown diamond, there’s no story, there’s no romance to it. A mined earth diamond has its story and history, and it might sound dumb but besides the quality aspects etc. if I was going to get a lab grown diamond I’d probably just opt for a different kind of gem for the ring, that’s just me.

And as per Hobz points, you’re not getting that GIA cert, resale sucks, insurance may not even cover the purchase amount, etc.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:16 AM   #20956

The only thing about lab grown is you can get a big ass rock for cheap.
The problem with that is, if you are like my friend, got a 2.5ct lab diamond and she drives a mazda 3.. she also lives in a shithole in new west.

All the other girls are gonna 1) know your shit is fake because you cant afford it 2) judge JUDGE JUDGE JUDGE JUDGE JUDGE YOUR ASS!!!! 3) if you ever wanna sell it, its UTTERLY WORTHLESS.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:24 AM   #20957
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,620 Times in 4,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This discussion has been had in the engagement ring thread, but to me, lab grown diamonds are nothing. What some nerd created your ring in a vice in the back of a mall?

There’s nothing to a lab grown diamond, there’s no story, there’s no romance to it. A mined earth diamond has its story and history, and it might sound dumb but besides the quality aspects etc. if I was going to get a lab grown diamond I’d probably just opt for a different kind of gem for the ring, that’s just me.

And as per Hobz points, you’re not getting that GIA cert, resale sucks, insurance may not even cover the purchase amount, etc.
This sounds like an ad for an Italian car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:23 AM   #20958
Performance Moderator

Have any of you ever tried to sell a real diamond? Shit's worth like half what you paid for it if you're not a store...
Old 04-30-2024, 07:33 AM   #20959

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Have any of you ever tried to sell a real diamond? Shit's worth like half what you paid for it if you're not a store...
Absolutely true. But go and try selling that lab diamond. It’ll be 5-10% of your purchase value if even that.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:37 AM   #20960
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,871 Times in 8,226 Posts
Why are you so concerned about selling it?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:38 AM   #20961
Performance Moderator

I just don't think it's a necessary comparison... nobody tries to re-sell diamonds except under extremely rare and adverse scenarios involving breakups? hahaha

I do get some of what Hondaracer's saying, there is a peace of mind/satisfaction aspect. I have definitely dismissed lab grown when I've been looking around for that reason... my inherent problem lies more in the fact engagement rings exist at all and how they came to be a part of society... and how the baseline size of the diamond is constantly increasing. Our fingers didn't get bigger lol
Old 04-30-2024, 07:52 AM   #20962
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,261 Times in 1,232 Posts
I think I spent around 7k on a diamond from Blue Nile years back and I can honestly say if I could do it again getting a lab grown diamond might have been the way to go. My wife doesn't really care too much about these things as long as it looks nice, and our circle of friends aren't rich enough to judge or even ask about if the diamond is real or not.

As mentioned above I'd be lucky to get half of what I paid for it now, so what's so great about the resale again? Who cares if your lab grown diamond that you spend $1500 on is only worth $150 years later when it was cheap to begin with.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:02 AM   #20963
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,859 Times in 1,786 Posts
I think I paid $2k all in for the engagement ring & wedding band. Thankfully I have a wife that understood a downpayment on a house was far more important than a thing that has little practical value beyond being something shiny on her finger.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:02 AM   #20964
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,224 Times in 7,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

The beautiful history of some African kids dying in a mine to enrich someone in the 15th generation of wealth isn't that romantic either.
I think it's great that the newer generations aren't getting scammed nearly as often by these ideas. Spend the money on the honeymoon and a place to live instead.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:05 AM   #20965

well its the same with all jewelry. You only really sell in case of dire circumstances or breakup/whatever.

Whatever you buy, especially these high priced items, you should at least try to maintain some semblance of value vs something that will basically be worthless. if you are okay with it being worthless, that's fine, but its not prudent.

p.s. this is just the same shit as buying like a fake handbag, or a watch. Ultimately its all just for show... but a lot of these girls wouldnt be caught dead with knock off shit, they rather just not have it. *blood diamond ethics aside*

Last edited by Badhobz; 04-30-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:05 AM   #20966
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,359 Times in 977 Posts
GET THIS... my wife wants a travel ring.. what the F is a travel ring.
it's to prevent you losing your real ring when you're on vacation...
Wat???????????

so... i went to an online website, NOT joking 2.0C shipped to my door $11.50 from some china website aliexpress or somehting. Not even sure if it's moissanite

she's happy as F and I don't give a crap since it was only 11.50; she can't tell the difference despite knwoing it's a fake diamond..
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:09 AM   #20967

thats awesome!!! ill go buy some diamonds for my dog
Old 04-30-2024, 08:16 AM   #20968
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The beautiful history of some African kids dying in a mine to enrich someone in the 15th generation of wealth isn't that romantic either.
I think it's great that the newer generations aren't getting scammed nearly as often by these ideas. Spend the money on the honeymoon and a place to live instead.
I've heard about quite a few younger kids who are doing a lot of alternative things... playing with different types of stones and non-traditional ideas. I saw one of my gf's friends last summer had an almost black stone of some sort with a vine-like band she designed herself... looked great! And her bf was like... dude it cost me like $60 to get that stone and she picked it herself. Win win lol
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:29 AM   #20969

im all supportive of that. Better than this traditional bullshit.

The rise of these lab grown diamonds have really devalued having a rock on your hand nowadays as its impossible to tell who spent 150k on their 2ct Harry Winston ring vs a Costco 2ct at 30k or a Lab gown diamond for 2k
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:50 AM   #20970
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,931 Posts
How many people can even tell the difference between blood diamond vs. lab diamond in real life, on a ring? You can only tell when the girls go to the ladies room and talk about 'how much did your ring cost?' ... how many ct is it?

Lab diamond all the way and save the rest for a down payment.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:55 AM   #20971

you cant. You literally cant.... the only way to tell is if the "setting" is of a certain manufacturer and its distinctively theirs. Like the Tiffany setting for example... but even that is widely copied and nobody would know the difference unless they take off the band and see tiffany engraved in the damn thing. Birks has a "birks blue" for example where they have a blue rhinestone in the base of the ring. Its visible and then at least you know its not a costco ring

thats why it all boils down to your house, your car, and your social circle. If you are in that circle where spending 50-100k is normal on the ring, even if you buy a 3ct aliexpress ring for 10 dollars, people will think its real.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2024, 09:18 AM   #20972
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,620 Times in 4,351 Posts
I'm positive each and every one of you has a high-grade loupe in your pocket inspecting every ring or not and calling people out if it's a fake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:24 AM   #20973
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,473 Times in 998 Posts
im so happy my gf would think a ring is a waste of money. i'd just buy her something cheap and she'd probably not even wear it anyway.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:46 AM   #20974
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,187 Posts
Diamond ring is a waste of money. Buy her gold instead.

A buddy of mine did just that back in mid 2000s. Instead of blowing 30k on diamond ring, he got a 1kg gold bar for something like 35k (yes, it was way under 1000 per ounce) USD. That shit is probably 80kUSD nowadays.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:50 AM   #20975
Performance Moderator

That makes no sense.

He could have just invested the $35k over 20 years had the same result if not better.

And what's anyone supposed to do with a gold bar? Take it out and rub it / polish it? Does she pull it out to show her friends when they come over? Did they take engagement pictures with the gold bar in both their hands?

Also no humble brag there at all that people were casually blowing $30k on engagement rings 20 years ago lol
This post thanked by: