REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 11-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
^ What year did you apply in?

Term 1 basically ended, and I actually have a 90.25% average! Way better than I thought. Going to apply for engineering at SFU, wish me luck.
Advertisement
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
you'll get in for sure to SFU engineering with that avg..good luck with engineering..
RevYouUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #53
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,034 Times in 174 Posts
anybody think 84% avg is good enough for sfu actuarial science?
Posted via RS Mobile
fs604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #54
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
holy fuck.. all these 90%+
must be asian
what the fuck happened to me diuuuuuu
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #55
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Back in 2004...

SFU conditional acceptance at 81% when applied, condition is maintain to 77%, final mark was 78% I think. Got into Arts.
UBC rejected me for Arts at 76% when applied, they didn't take my economics marks.

Now I am done school with a BA(hons) and MA. I was a dumbass/didn't try back in HS and first 2.5 years of university.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #56
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm almost certain I can obtain at least an 84% average, but I'll just hope on getting accepted with an 80 (just assuming something goes wrong).

@ Dhillion09: I'm Asian LOL my parents think college = failure, and they've brainwashed me in thinking so too. I know it's not, but I guess it's better to aim high, than to do a transfer from Langara or BCIT.

If anyone else can contribute, that would help a lot, thanks!
I know I'm late to the thread but here's my experience...

I got into SFU Science with a 86% high school average.

I cruised through HS and probably could have done a lot better if I tried. Shit got real when I got into SFU though. (I was also retarded for taking CMPT, ECON, CALC and I think PHIL in the first semester)

Ended up on academic probation and eventually got kicked out.

I was NOT ready for university. It was like day and night compared to HS. HS was a joke.

I ended up going to Kwantlen not really doing anything and took a year off. Time off helped me to decide to go to BCIT for marketing management and now I have a decently paying job but only a diploma.

I'm planning on going back to BCIT for my BBA. I would have preferred to go back to SFU or UBC to finish it off however my first year CGPA fucked me over. I'd have to spend my next two years raising my CGPA on 3/4th level courses if I want to graduate within my timeframe, which is pretty hard. SFU/UBC also only accepts half the credits I completed at BCIT so I'd have to take some courses over again.

Long story short, I can't get a BBA from SFU/UBC without struggling to raise CGPA because I fucked up in first year. So make sure you're prepared for university and the workload.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
highschool is stupid and doesnt prepare you for shit. I know girls that flirted with their teachers and got into ubc somehow.
this!

high school in the past was kind of the end point of education for many people. Now everyone has undergrad degrees yet the high school system has not changed much in preparing people to take on an university degree...that's why you'll see many high school counselors recommending college first. They really need to offer AP level classes at all schools in grade 11/12 for a smoother transition.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #58
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
this!

high school in the past was kind of the end point of education for many people. Now everyone has undergrad degrees yet the high school system has not changed much in preparing people to take on an university degree...that's why you'll see many high school counselors recommending college first. They really need to offer AP level classes at all schools in grade 11/12 for a smoother transition.
How does offering AP level classes help?
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #59
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
AP stuff is pretty much first year content...which will offer better transition into universities.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #60

Is it the content itself that's a lot harder, or the way it's being taught?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #61
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

HS holds your hands and guides you. Uni leaves you alone and profs don't really need to teach.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #62
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I applied with IB Grades

Averaged a 5/7

translated to Regular grades it would be a mid 80s mark.
I got into arts at UBC.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #63
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,669 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
HS holds your hands and guides you. Uni leaves you alone and profs don't really need to teach.
Posted via RS Mobile
not going to lie, i miss high school, the teachers are so nice there and guiding.

I wish i can redo grade 11 so i took all 3 science courses
sindragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #64
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
just content, teachers will be the same in every class
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #65
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
got into ubc science with a 92 average and $4000 scholarship back in 2006. figured it'd be easy as hell but ended up getting kicked out after first year. went to kwantlen, retook all of my first year courses and got back into ubc. but after another year i realized i wasn't interested in science anymore so i transferred to business. it's been almost 6 years now and I still have another year to go. i'm 23 and i've wasted thousands of dollars of my parents' money while everyone else around me has already graduated.

moral of the story: figure out what you want to do and work hard at it. don't go into anything half assed because your results will be just as bad.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #66

Quote:
the material itself is actually very easy as long as you put some effort into it. the biggest thing to get over is your work ethic. if you were a keener in high school then it shouldn't be a problem. but if you're like the rest of us who stayed up til 3am every night playing CS and cram for exams an hour before then you'll be royally fucked if you don't change your habits.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
the material itself is actually very easy as long as you put some effort into it. the biggest thing to get over is your work ethic. if you were a keener in high school then it shouldn't be a problem. but if you're like the rest of us who stayed up til 3am every night playing CS and cram for exams an hour before then you'll be royally fucked if you don't change your habits.
lol you got fucked too eh? I blame CS and SC for both of our failures.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #68
Rs has made me the man i am today!

89% unconditional into UBC sciences. I had an eng lit teacher for gr 12 English who deeply believed he was helping to prepare us by having a class average of 72% but that's another story. Point is that high school marks don't matter much in uni as you will see! Just do your best, and don't major in civil engineering unless you like unemployment here in Vancouver anyways.
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #69
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Guys don't worry about it. I was forced to go to school by my brother who said YOU HAVE TO GO OR YOU PAY RENT NOW and then when I was in didn't offer any guidance or advice and watched me play warcraft.

Dropped out at 19, and I just returned back to school last semester.

Granted people who read this will still probably make the same mistakes many of us did.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #70
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
got into ubc science with a 92 average and $4000 scholarship back in 2006. figured it'd be easy as hell but ended up getting kicked out after first year. went to kwantlen, retook all of my first year courses and got back into ubc. but after another year i realized i wasn't interested in science anymore so i transferred to business. it's been almost 6 years now and I still have another year to go. i'm 23 and i've wasted thousands of dollars of my parents' money while everyone else around me has already graduated.

moral of the story: figure out what you want to do and work hard at it. don't go into anything half assed because your results will be just as bad.
this right here gave me a real wake up call. Sorry to hear that charlieH but thank you for sharing. i've been slippin after i came to university but after hearing that i gotta try my best to avoid the same thing cuz im heading down the same road right now. cruised through hs and not changing up the old habits. luckily its still my first year and still got another semester to get myself together.

also gotta thank JKam and twitchyzero. I wish i heard that earlier. to those of you going into post-secondary soon, HS GRADES DONT MEAN SHIT and the courses do not prepare you either!!!
rocksforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
lol you got fucked too eh? I blame CS and SC for both of our failures.
yeah, i lived on campus first year and played games until like 4-5 every night, only to have class at 8am LOL. needless to say i missed a bunch of classes but thought i could do well on the exams if i just crammed a little. definitely wasn't the case though

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksforsale View Post
this right here gave me a real wake up call. Sorry to hear that charlieH but thank you for sharing. i've been slippin after i came to university but after hearing that i gotta try my best to avoid the same thing cuz im heading down the same road right now. cruised through hs and not changing up the old habits. luckily its still my first year and still got another semester to get myself together.

also gotta thank JKam and twitchyzero. I wish i heard that earlier. to those of you going into post-secondary soon, HS GRADES DONT MEAN SHIT and the courses do not prepare you either!!!

yeah man, learn from our mistakes and don't fall into that hole. once you're in it's a BITCH to get out. even just dedicating ONE hour a day to doing some readings and keeping yourself updated with the course material will help so much in the long run. the hardest thing for me was going to class. at first i would just skip here and there, but after a while it became a habit and i ended up skipping a week of class at a time. by the time i finally went back, i was so far behind in the course material that i just figured, "fuck it, i can always retake it next term". and after that it just became an endless cycle.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #72
Banned By Establishment

i do not feel so good about myself this semester as well. Wake up call for me to not play so late and sleep early / do my homework!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #73
I HERP TO YOU DERP

90% average going into SFU Business... hk for year 12 (grade 11) so I had a taste of what university was like by taking those god awfully hard a-level courses

managed to keep my cgpa at 3.5 along with a bunch of work and extracurricular experience to prep me for my grad intake..

pro tip - do what you find interest in don't get into business for the sake of getting into the faculty. i learnt much more being able to share my interest and establish a healthy working relationship with the profs at SFU

i've seen quite a lot of people who got into business then had no clue what they wanted to do. now all they have is a piece of paper with them and pondering what jobs they could be doing with it. so please please pleasseeee think long and hard about your career
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #74
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
I know I'm late to the thread but here's my experience...

I got into SFU Science with a 86% high school average.

I cruised through HS and probably could have done a lot better if I tried. Shit got real when I got into SFU though. (I was also retarded for taking CMPT, ECON, CALC and I think PHIL in the first semester)

Ended up on academic probation and eventually got kicked out.

I was NOT ready for university. It was like day and night compared to HS. HS was a joke.

I ended up going to Kwantlen not really doing anything and took a year off. Time off helped me to decide to go to BCIT for marketing management and now I have a decently paying job but only a diploma.

I'm planning on going back to BCIT for my BBA. I would have preferred to go back to SFU or UBC to finish it off however my first year CGPA fucked me over. I'd have to spend my next two years raising my CGPA on 3/4th level courses if I want to graduate within my timeframe, which is pretty hard. SFU/UBC also only accepts half the credits I completed at BCIT so I'd have to take some courses over again.

Long story short, I can't get a BBA from SFU/UBC without struggling to raise CGPA because I fucked up in first year. So make sure you're prepared for university and the workload.
This.

Don't go to university if you have no idea what it's about.
I did jack shit all throughout high school until the last semester of grade 12, where I took 4 courses, admittedly didn't even study at 100% capacity, and submitted all four and got accepted to SFU at 89% average.
Two semesters later I was hanging on by a thread barely able to keep my tGPA above 2.0, all because I made some dumb choices first year.

If you think high school is a breeze, you're right. If you think university will be anything like that, you're fucked.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
90% average going into SFU Business... hk for year 12 (grade 11) so I had a taste of what university was like by taking those god awfully hard a-level courses

managed to keep my cgpa at 3.5 along with a bunch of work and extracurricular experience to prep me for my grad intake..

pro tip - do what you find interest in don't get into business for the sake of getting into the faculty. i learnt much more being able to share my interest and establish a healthy working relationship with the profs at SFU

i've seen quite a lot of people who got into business then had no clue what they wanted to do. now all they have is a piece of paper with them and pondering what jobs they could be doing with it. so please please pleasseeee think long and hard about your career

To be honest, I'm only applying for engineering because I do very well in physics, chemistry and math. I only have a slight idea of what exactly engineering is..I just know there's good money involved if you do well.

I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to do, but engineering will be a starting point for me.