REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
IF you're just leasing your car, get the Audi for sure. The Quattro is amazing during the winter and the finishing inside is superior to most cars.

The only reason why I'd tell you to avoid the Audi is because they have horrible re-sale value. People say maintenance is very expensive on these German cars, especially Audi's, but I haven't experienced that at all. I've had my Audi for 4 years (yes, I'm biased) and haven't had any MAJOR problems.

As far as the feeling of being under-powered, the car is already equipped with a small turbo, spend $500 on some performance software and you'll definitely feel a bigger kick from the car. You don't need to be faster than everyone else, but the chip will make your car more fun and responsive.

Apart from that, the choice is all yours.
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
My 2010 Audi A5 has issues with burning oil and supposedly other A5's and A4's have the same issue. I basically have to top off the oil every month compare that with my BMW e92 which is the same year and I have yet to experience any issues. The A5 and even A4 are pretty cars, do they handle very well in the snow but I'll never own a Audi again.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #28

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
My 2010 Audi A5 has issues with burning oil and supposedly other A5's and A4's have the same issue. I basically have to top off the oil every month compare that with my BMW e92 which is the same year and I have yet to experience any issues. The A5 and even A4 are pretty cars, do they handle very well in the snow but I'll never own a Audi again.
That seems to be a defect for SURE. Would that problem not be covered under warranty? I would imagine Audi of Canada would recognize that a monthly oil change would be the result of some sort of defect in the vehicle...

Last edited by parm104; 09-13-2011 at 06:56 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
I am on the internets

2.0t's will always consume more oil than usual. normal for a high compression engine.

my m3 burns more oil than the other 6 cyliner bmw engines, of that time.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #30
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
That seems to be a defect for SURE. Would that problem not be covered under warranty? I would imagine Audi of Canada would recognize that a monthly oil change would be the result of some sort of defect in the vehicle...
It is documented but I was told it was an issue with the 2.0t engines and that Audi is looking into the matter. My brother in law has an A5 as well and he's also had issues with the oil.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Yup. All 2.0t's are known for burning oil more than normal.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #32

I've leased a WRX before, and because resale value was so good, the lease costs are very low... however, the gas mileage was pretty bad and it had to be 91 octane which sucked...

After leasing that time, I decided to finance the next car because it's true, at the end of the lease you really don't have much at all... I know the argument about not paying for more than just the depreciation by leasing, but still, it felt a bit weird after a couple years to have nothing to trade in, etc.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
IF you're just leasing your car, get the Audi for sure. The Quattro is amazing during the winter and the finishing inside is superior to most cars.

The only reason why I'd tell you to avoid the Audi is because they have horrible re-sale value. People say maintenance is very expensive on these German cars, especially Audi's, but I haven't experienced that at all. I've had my Audi for 4 years (yes, I'm biased) and haven't had any MAJOR problems.

As far as the feeling of being under-powered, the car is already equipped with a small turbo, spend $500 on some performance software and you'll definitely feel a bigger kick from the car. You don't need to be faster than everyone else, but the chip will make your car more fun and responsive.

Apart from that, the choice is all yours.
Thanks for all the information guys! It seems that if I were to lease that the car of choice would probably be the A4 since I don't get to see so many of the troubles after the 100K mark. It is still expensive though for the Quattro Premium even with a lease but I will definitely test drive it to see if I enjoy it that much to take the dive.

I don't need the quickest drive but I just picked out some cars that I liked the looks for and wanted to know what other people's opinions are based on what they've read or tried before. I had a 2007 Accord before so I just wanted a bit of an upgrade from that going forward haha.
freesole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #34
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
A4 FTW

but if you're in that price range

have you considered the 2012 C-Class Coupe? gorgeous car imo
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote