REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #226
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Why do they run the big tracked machines on mountains that arn't yet open making it all bumpy and choppy?
they are called groomers. and their intention is to level the surface of the snow and to aerate it to become more moisture induced. With more moisture within the snow, the snow will then create more of a hard pack base on it.

those groomers seem like big heavy machines, but truthfully they exert such little pressure onto the snow due to their big tracks that sometimes they are rendered unable at times.
Advertisement

Vangruver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #227
Need to Seek Professional Help

Anyone planning to hit up grouse tomorrow?
Posted via RS Mobile
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #228
I am Hook'd on RS

Will probably be heading to grouse tonite, around 5 or 6 till closin time. Hope it doesn't get too icy :P Anyone goin to whistler this weekend? calling for big dumps saturday!
slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #229
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,187 Times in 2,411 Posts
Hit up cypress today, beautiful day,
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #230
Need to Seek Professional Help

Yeah, went to Cypress instead. I agree with sonick. What an EPIC day!!
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #231
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangruver View Post
you make the call.

cypress has more terrain, more parking, more lifts.

but it also has more idiots, more idiots, and more idiots.
I'm amused by this comment. but I'd like to know how people act like "idiots" on the mountain. maybe throw some "rules of conduct" out there so ppl can follow along.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #232
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

The only idiots I have ever seen on the mountain are the groups that sit in a line on a run and those people are on every mountain.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #233
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Everyone sits on the mountain, just don't sit in the god damn centre of the runs.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #234
I STILL don't get it

today i just found out that a 15K rated jacket cant stand up to a vancouver rainfall... spent 2 hours on Cypress and was soaked to the base layer after the 3rd chairlift up, even when wrapped with a plastic poncho, which is strange since water didnt penetrate my 8K rated pants....

well, time to invest in a Gore-Tex jacket....
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #235
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
today i just found out that a 15K rated jacket cant stand up to a vancouver rainfall... spent 2 hours on Cypress and was soaked to the base layer after the 3rd chairlift up, even when wrapped with a plastic poncho, which is strange since water didnt penetrate my 8K rated pants....

nothing, short of rubber, will stop water from eventually penetrating. Even Gore-tex. It just takes longer to get through some materials than others.
Full`Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #236
Better safe than Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post

The water resistance will fade over time if its an older jacket. You may need to wash and 'refresh' the water resistant coating on your jacket. Especially if its something you wear often. There is special soaps/cleaners to use. Comor sells them, other places should carry them as well.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #237
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
are you all boarders or does anyone ski?

I skied for 11 years when I was younger. Boarded for about 4 years recently but Im really thinking about giving skiing a go again.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #238
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Everyone sits on the mountain, just don't sit in the god damn centre of the runs.
And below the crest of a hill
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
I'm amused by this comment. but I'd like to know how people act like "idiots" on the mountain. maybe throw some "rules of conduct" out there so ppl can follow along.
you want to know the details?

okay. lets begin.

people that haven't the skill or ability to get on or off the chairlift.

people that haven't the skill or ability to make connecting turns, yet will blaze past you on a run with no coherent ability to stop. Ultimately taking down innocent bystanders. Seen it happen, had it happen to me actually.

[it's been said before] people that stop in a row, crossing a run waiting for their friends. It's completely understandable that if someone is hurt they have the right of way to be where they are. Someone can come assist, as injured people shouldn't be moved. Pull over to the side of a run, or if there's a sign in the middle of the run, pull behind or around it. Make it easier for others to get around you.

people that don't look before they leap, that can be said about jumps, cliffs, even little rolling hills.

people that don't stop to help others when someone IS in fact injured. My accident for example.....I fell hard. Hard enough not to be moved. not one person stopped till my gf stopped someone personally. I was sitting in agony for 5+ minutes watching people slide by.

people with no park etiquette. Call your drops, ensure that the landing has been cleared before you go ahead and drop into a jump/box/rail. Unless you're timing it with someone else, you should never drop right after another person.

people that don't look up and behind them. Yes it's the person behind's fault when a collision occurs, but fact of the matter is, when someone is making their own way down a run minding their own business, try your best not to get into their way. It's happened to me before. Where I was both parties. I'm not ashamed to admit I was at fault.

simple common sense can be had, just to ensure that people everywhere can have a good time.

just sayin.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #240
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I am willing to bet money the people that dont look out for others or have any etiquette are also the same people who bike around as if the rules of the road dont apply to them.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #241

Anyone have a place to recommend for basic tune ups for chipping/edges/filling/wax?
Posted via RS Mobile
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #242
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
Anyone have a place to recommend for basic tune ups for chipping/edges/filling/wax?
Posted via RS Mobile
Vancouver ski and board services
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Vancouver ski and board services
Posted via RS Mobile
How much am i looking at for repairs/tuneups?

Edit: damn shoulda went to sportchek, way cheaper

Last edited by LC21; 11-30-2011 at 09:38 AM.
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #244

i find cypress snow very hard packed and hurts if you bail. Ever since i went up to whistler and big white, ive never looked back at going to cypress. anyone else feel the same way?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #245
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You go on the wrong days.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymura View Post
i find cypress snow very hard packed and hurts if you bail. Ever since i went up to whistler and big white, ive never looked back at going to cypress. anyone else feel the same way?
you're NEVER going to find the conditions like big white or whistler, for the simple reason that the elevation of either mountain compared to cypress is totally different.

unless the freezing level stays at 1-200 meters at all times, the north shore mountains will always have cyclical conditions.

Nice sunny day like today? it' going to be soft and fun till the night falls, then when it gets dark, boom, out comes the hard pack of death.

Lets face it, you got spoiled with big white and whistler. and now you're coming back to local hills that have weather change every hour. Face the facts, unless you're willing to dedicate your season to big resort like hills, be happy with the north shore mountains.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #247
LYC
I don't get it

Thought I would share a little vid I put together from today. First real pow day we've had in Japan.

LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #248
PeP
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

^sweet pow! i like the retro get up.

Last edited by PeP; 12-01-2011 at 01:16 PM.
PeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangruver View Post
you're NEVER going to find the conditions like big white or whistler, for the simple reason that the elevation of either mountain compared to cypress is totally different.

unless the freezing level stays at 1-200 meters at all times, the north shore mountains will always have cyclical conditions.

Nice sunny day like today? it' going to be soft and fun till the night falls, then when it gets dark, boom, out comes the hard pack of death.

Lets face it, you got spoiled with big white and whistler. and now you're coming back to local hills that have weather change every hour. Face the facts, unless you're willing to dedicate your season to big resort like hills, be happy with the north shore mountains.

very true! from the first day of learning snowboarding i was treated to whistler conditions. I tried cypress a few times and that actually made me decide to quit snowboarding after i bailed real hard and dislocated my elbow. it is not till someone took me to whistler and big white that i decided to go boarding again.
guess i have to make an effort to travel to enjoy boarding or wait till it snows hard in cypress then its fresh pow.

But i am curious, im sure most of you guys have been to whistler/big white and cypress before. so does that mean when you decide to go to cypress it is because of the convenience, distance, and the mindset of "yea it'll do" rather than because you actually like the mountain?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #250
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

ahhhh...i'm waiting for some pow pow to ride on......seymour for night ski anyone?? tomorrow night that is
terryjai is offline   Reply With Quote