REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #3376
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Neoxphuse just reinforcing the stereotype
Advertisement
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #3377
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I say this based on feedback from other people who have done it already.

Yes, UBC is ranked as one of the best schools in UBC. My issue is the teaching. All I ever hear is how most teachers there are unapproachable or only have a couple of hours out of the week available for students. How, most of their time is spent on research. How exams are unrelated to the questions that they have faced in class.

And then the class size of 100+ students. I don't know if this is the case for most classes. And I guess the other thing is how most universities, SFU also, you have to take 1 year of BS classes that have nothing to do with what you want to do.

I never went to UBC and never applied, it wasn't my first choice. But I'm putting out what others have said to me about it.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2015, 11:29 PM   #3378
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

welcome to every major university.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #3379
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post

Yes, UBC is ranked as one of the best schools in UBC. My issue is the teaching. All I ever hear is how most teachers there are unapproachable or only have a couple of hours out of the week available for students. How, most of their time is spent on research. How exams are unrelated to the questions that they have faced in class.

And then the class size of 100+ students. I don't know if this is the case for most classes. And I guess the other thing is how most universities, SFU also, you have to take 1 year of BS classes that have nothing to do with what you want to do.

I never went to UBC and never applied, it wasn't my first choice. But I'm putting out what others have said to me about it.
you are pretty clueless to put it kindly...

Teachers are unapproachable and only have few office hour? Yea.. because many professors at UBC are world-class researchers and their time is best utilized in research, not in trying to re-teach what's been covered in lecture. Students are supposed to make use of study groups, and TAs.

Most of their time is spent on research? Yea... I would like to see humans make advances in this world. Do you?

If you cannot keep up with the university style of learning, you should attend community colleges where the teacher-to-student ratio is much lower. But even then, if you need a teacher to spoon feed you every single concept, you should reconsider whether advanced education is the right path for you (I mean that with no offence).
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #3380

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
you are pretty clueless to put it kindly...

Teachers are unapproachable and only have few office hour? Yea.. because many professors at UBC are world-class researchers and their time is best utilized in research, not in trying to re-teach what's been covered in lecture. Students are supposed to make use of study groups, and TAs.

Most of their time is spent on research? Yea... I would like to see humans make advances in this world. Do you?

If you cannot keep up with the university style of learning, you should attend community colleges where the teacher-to-student ratio is much lower. But even then, if you need a teacher to spoon feed you every single concept, you should reconsider whether advanced education is the right path for you (I mean that with no offence).
Hey man, I've completed my schooling a long time ago. And yeah, as students we pay hard money to being "taught" not so all of the money goes to research, but hey, whatever.

Anyway, I don't really care I'm just putting it out there for discussion, so don't take it so personally. I guess advanced education isn't right for me.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #3381
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 463 Posts
This

Quote:
I don't get why you guys go to UBC. SFU is way better if you could possibly go there.
Plus

Quote:

Nice attempt at backpedaling, buddy. How could you "not get why [we] go to UBC" if you're merely basing it off of other people's feedback.

It's the same idea as, say, if you've initially heard that Michael Jordan is a damn good basketball player, and you've never watched a single one of his games/game play, but then some of your buddies tell you that he sucks. You've just accepted the fact that he sucks, and that's that. Oh and you HAVE watched, say, Steve Nash play, so then you automatically assume he's better than Michael Jordan.

Don't get me wrong, Steve Nash does NOT suck. And UBC is not the MJ of universities. But generally speaking, it's the same logic.... IE dumb-ass logic.

I'm not taking it personally or anything, but if you're gonna start something, you better properly back it up. Hell, at the very least, own up to it.
palepilsenpin0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:18 AM   #3382

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm in Arts/polisci/geog and pretty much all of my profs are super approachable and open-minded, during lectures or after lectures and even more so during office hours and are totally available to meet outside of office hours too.

Maybe y'all are just taking too many Science courses? Or we're just talking to a bunch of engineers here
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Old 05-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #3383
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Maybe y'all are just taking too many Science courses? Or we're just talking to a bunch of engineers here
I grabbed beers a while back with two of my comp sci profs (although it was a faculty drinking night out).
theevilslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #3384

Hi UBC crew,

Coming from Langara's Computer Science. I was accepted to the Arts program but want to do internal transfer into the Computer Science program.

Just wanted to get an idea how difficult the level 1 and 2 computer science courses are at UBC. I'd be walking in with a 3.2 GPA but I'm rlly afraid of my GPA getting tanked if the CompSci courses are rlly difficult.

What's class average like and what did you manage to achieve? Is getting B or above extremely difficult?

Thanks peeps
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:15 AM   #3385
Need my Daily Fix of RS

You can do Comp Sci through Arts, it's the same thing (you can do co-op and same req courses). As for 1st year and 2nd year courses theres: {110, 210} that are the actual programming/creating stuff courses, {121,221,213} that are more of the algorithms and design courses.

Now for me personally, I did terrible in my first year courses in general but looking back 110 and 121 weren't too bad. If you do homework and keep up with things (even if u don't understand 100% of the stuff) you can pull off A-s easily. (I got Bs cause I was dumb)

As for second year, it comes down to a) your interest and b) your profs.
I was into creating shit so I aced 210 ( got an A) but 221 (algorithms) I got destroyed and barely managed to pass due to the prof being ridiculously hard (Class avg was around 61).

Now to answer your question in general, a 3.2 is good and getting a B or above is certainly not difficult. I've noticed that class averages hover around 70+ as I got into 3rd year. But definitely you have to keep an eye out for some profs, you'll hear some names (aka Wolfman, Patrice etc etc) that are the hard profs and generally it may be a good idea to avoid them.

If you want to check class averages theres a site for that. https://webprd01.pair.ubc.ca/reports...request.action
Or google Pair grade distribution ubc. You need your CWL login.

If ya need to know more, holla. Hope to see u on campus in Jan when I get back LOL

Last edited by theevilslave; 05-17-2015 at 01:38 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #3386

Hey bro, thanks for taking the time to write that up for me! I'll make sure to grab you a beer sometime if I decide on UBC
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #3387
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
830am graduation earlier today... I'm done!
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #3388
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
^congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 PM   #3389
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Congratulations man. I will be graduating in May 2016.
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2015, 01:12 AM   #3390

Anyone checked out the new sub yet? Seen a bunch of photos taken by friends and it looks amazing!

Old 06-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #3391
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Going tomorrow to pick up my compass, stoked to try out the new food places/pubs
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #3392

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevilslave View Post
Going tomorrow to pick up my compass, stoked to try out the new food places/pubs
How was it ?

Also, any interest in a weekly evening car meet? I noticed the SFU kids are trying to start their Monday night meets back up. I'm sure there are a few of us lurking around who aren't on here as well since I often see some tastefully modded and otherwise just great looking cars (excluding the exotics) around. Might be worth organizing something, maybe not in the parkades since that costs money but perhaps a weekly Spanish Banks thing? I'd be happy to organize it as well!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #3393
Need my Daily Fix of RS

It's really nice, friggin' huge. But........ no escalators and you gotta use stairs LOL
Most of the food places aren't open yet, but I tried the thai place. It's good and service was nice (this is before regular semester so take this review with a grain of salt).

On the other hand I just wanna say fuck the compass. I can't believe we are being forced to use this shit. Takes forever to get on the bus, I can't imagine how it will be during rush hour for non-99 buses that don't have all door boarding.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #3394
I subscribe to Revscene

Try the ramen from the new moon. I saw all the chefs eating it during lunch so obviously they think it's good. The pad Thai is legit too.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #3395

Got trolled by UBC so hard, super choked. Got an acceptance email for polisci major this morning, got another email saying they made a mistake and sent it to the wrong person and that my application hasn't been reviewed yet.

WTF pulling an SFU on me.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #3396

Got accepted into the Dietetics major, which means I'm tacking on 3 more years to my degree. However, its typically a masters level program in other parts of Canada so I can't really complain

7 year undergrad squad assemble
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #3397
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl38 View Post
Got accepted into the Dietetics major, which means I'm tacking on 3 more years to my degree. However, its typically a masters level program in other parts of Canada so I can't really complain

Congrats!!! aren't you like 1 of 3? 4? guys LOL that seems to be the case for Dietetics every year.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #3398
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl38 View Post

Congrats!
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #3399

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Congrats!!! aren't you like 1 of 3? 4? guys LOL that seems to be the case for Dietetics every year.
From our FB group (so far has 20 people out of 32 or 33) theres already 6 guys! Most ever
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #3400

Aaaaand so after being accepted into Political Science and that being a mistake, I have now been declined.

Sigh, off to the Arts Advisor...

Also no one in the polisci department replies to emails...