REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #26
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
I'm kinda paranoid about using ubcvisitor, but watever. And rageguy, what do u mean by positive results? Do u mean better satisfaction? Involvement? Initially, my purpose to join these clubs was just to get to know ubc better and to get some networking. Not sure how much further u can get with this.

Anyone check out the super rives out m3 outside of the sub? LOL
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

Networking...no. I have been with CSA and CCS, and know many close friends in DSC and CVC. When you are part of the exec team, you get to work with other people in your specific department. So let's say you are with CVC ski trip department. You'll be in charge of planning the event from start to finish. Sure, you'll be satisfied because you put in many hours of work. Sure, you'll be involved to some degree. Networking? Maybe. You may have to discuss deals with vendors, and maybe gather some sponsors.

If you truly want to be involved and build networks, such as doing charity stuff, or meeting big companies, then the Greek system (fraternity and sorority) will give you that.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageguy View Post
Networking...no. I have been with CSA and CCS, and know many close friends in DSC and CVC. When you are part of the exec team, you get to work with other people in your specific department. So let's say you are with CVC ski trip department. You'll be in charge of planning the event from start to finish. Sure, you'll be satisfied because you put in many hours of work. Sure, you'll be involved to some degree. Networking? Maybe. You may have to discuss deals with vendors, and maybe gather some sponsors.

If you truly want to be involved and build networks, such as doing charity stuff, or meeting big companies, then the Greek system (fraternity and sorority) will give you that.
what do u do within the CVC as a member and not as an exec? and do they hold regular meetings?

Last edited by instantneedles; 09-21-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #29
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:

sorry repost.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Ubcsecure has been having issues since the start of September. At first it was simply overloaded due to too many users. That was fixed in 2 or 3 days by adding more servers. Now it is regarding their DHCP servers running out of IP addresses. That is being looked at right now.

Patience. It's hit or miss. Use ubcvisitor or even better, use 3G tether if you have a smartphone.
I have been using UBCSECURE since the beginning of the school year and I haven't had any trouble so not sure if its just your problem or it is affecting many others.

BTW I'm logged in at ubcsecure usually from 9AM-12PM
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
I have been using UBCSECURE since the beginning of the school year and I haven't had any trouble so not sure if its just your problem or it is affecting many others.

thats when im there too... and it works for me now, but idoesn't work for me all the time.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #32
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
what do u do within the CVC as a member and not as an exec? and do they hold regular meetings?
For these Chinese clubs, there are two types of involvement. You can be a regular member. You pay $8 or so, and you get to take part in the external events such as dances, ski trips, and maybe some contest or something. These events are not every week, instead these events are more like every month or so. You go to the events, but everyone is already in their own circle. In other words, if you don't go with your circle of friends, then you'll have to somehow meet people.

You can be an "exec". You are then part of the internal team. You plan the actual events. Also you will take part in the internal get togethers. You will meet other execs. You will probably make friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post

The first issue started early September. Due to too many people connecting to ubcsecure, our authentication server went down. It went up and then down again. In short, if you got to school early, you can probably connect just fine. Once you are authenticated, you don't have to authenticate again for some time. That explains why you had no issues. Those who cannot connect will have to keep hammering our server. If you got in, you got lucky. Most people can't. This is especially worse in our peak buildings like SUB and Bookstore. Buchanan is pretty bad too.

The second issue came up just a few days ago. We ran out of IP addresses. Too many wireless devices.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

in irving
Posted via RS Mobile
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #34
Banned (ABWS)

in arts comp lab
king_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #35
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

In Irving and the friend I spend breaks with went home early
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #36
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triste View Post
In Irving and the friend I spend breaks with went home early
come chill with me man, im always there
Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

are ubc rs'ers just too busy studying or are there too little of us to keep this thread going?
rocksforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksforsale View Post
are ubc rs'ers just too busy studying or are there too little of us to keep this thread going?
i said it before, theres way more rs'ers going to SFU, Bcit etc compared to UBC (hence the Whos at SFU thread is always active). Another reason why this thread isnt always bumped up is because not many rs'ers check out this "campus" section of threads
Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #39
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Im here.. But w 8 courses this sem im getting analed
Posted via RS Mobile
jayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayv View Post
Im here.. But w 8 courses this sem im getting analed
Posted via RS Mobile
Holy shitt, 8 courses is a bit much would you say? I'm taking 4 courses but I'm working full time as well. Why u taking 8 btw?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #41
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
^ Maybe he's in engineering? Only people I know that take that many courses are engineers.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #42

Lol yeah engineering fml..
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #43
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksforsale View Post
we have our own friends to hang out during breaks, what i get from that SFU thread is that they'll all beta buddies with nothing to do cause of crappy course scheduling. just sayin'
SchoolGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #44
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolGlue View Post
we have our own friends to hang out during breaks, what i get from that SFU thread is that they'll all beta buddies with nothing to do cause of crappy course scheduling. just sayin'
Buddy, u just offended a crowd of ppl that do go on this thread. I'm sure you're occupied by your friends the entire time you're at ubc haha. Although u do have a point. Ppl have told me that the circle of friends within sfu are alot more separated. But then again, I'm also pretty sure there are lot more students living on residence @ubc.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Buchanan D econ class: super boring, spent the whole time surfing RS on my phone, best 50 mins spent. Keep this thread alive guys!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #46
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
we are just too busy lol esp with the MTs coming
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #47

Anyone at irving? 2 midterms tomorrow.. ughhhhh
Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #48
Banned (ABWS)

Good luck on your midterms to all the fellow ubc'ers here on revscene !!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #49
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

So I finished my first round of midterms last week and I just realized my 2nd round starts next friday. Just over a week off
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

What faculty you guys in? I'm in kines
infectedanus is offline   Reply With Quote