REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #1951
My homepage has been set to RS

want to ask some of the Graduates of UBC here:

For your grad certificate, does it list out what you majored and minored in along with your "Bachelor of ______?

I'm in ARTs and I majored in Sociology and minored in Econ but my certificate only says "Bachelor of ARTS" without listing my major and minor which I think is so gay...

Just a piece of paper but I just wana know if its like this for other faculties
Advertisement
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #1952
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
aw sorry to hear. from what? speeding? parking ?
Posted via RS Mobile
Speeding, 82 in a 60 but I was literally 20-30 metres from the 80 sign
stupid cop
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #1953
PRINCESS

i just got my first speeding ticket at bellingham fuckig cop $175
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #1954

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Don't be so fast to blame the cop.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #1955
PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
I never blamed the cop
In fact i admit my mistake and im willing to pay for it instead of wasting court time contesting for it
I disliked how she was being judgmental and biased over some stuff she said to me

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #1956
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
lol I got my first and only one speeding ticket in Bellingham too. Slid off the hwy onto the side of the road, totally my fault for being stupid and not checking the weather and not changing my tires... but regardless the cop that pulled over asked how fast i was going I said 30. Cop issued me a ticket for going to fast for the weather conditions. I was thinking, I was going as fast as any other car... 30 kmh. Checked the ticket he wrote 30 mph... Partly my fault to blame again but still.. cmon man I'm from Canada I use metric..
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #1957
PRINCESS

She was giving me shit because i slowed down to find place to pull over
She said i 'caused a traffic'
I was only 5km below the speed limit and she said i was driving without caution and 'neglected'
There were no fucking traffic behind me other than one other car and she was liKe
'do u understand the road condition' which i replied 'theres no rain nor snow and clear sky and clear road'
And she started lecturing me about how there is going to be 'black ice' tonight in Washington
Cool im at seattle right now and there is no fucking 'black ice' anywhere
I admit my fault and i understand she is watching out for othets
But her and false accusation of 'causing traffic' and apparenrly i 'almost caused a collisiom' WHEN THERE WERE NO OTHER CARS was unnecassary.
And then she was like at least i wont give you a ticket for negligence
Speeding? okay i admit it. but negligence (aside from speeding from how she judged) wasnt even present.
Im bitter about this specific incident because she kept on saying she couldve given me a ticket for something i didnt do

Last edited by MeowMeow; 12-08-2012 at 02:24 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #1958

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
I never blamed the cop
In fact i admit my mistake and im willing to pay for it instead of wasting court time contesting for it
I disliked how she was being judgmental and biased over some stuff she said to me

Posted via RS Mobile
Maybe I should I have put this in my post
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #1959
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Was on the way back from studying around midnight going south on marine, white GT3RS with red accents was pulled over and hitched to a tow truck.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #1960
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post

For your grad certificate, does it list out what you majored and minored in along with your "Bachelor of ______?

I'm in ARTs and I majored in Sociology and minored in Econ but my certificate only says "Bachelor of ARTS" without listing my major and minor which I think is so gay...

It's like that for all faculties. I did a major in Econ minor in commerce and the degree just says bachelor of arts.

Grats on graduating btw!

Last edited by Energy; 12-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #1961
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post

When I started at UBC I had a lot of my family that is alumni asking what I was going into. When I asked them what they graduated from they would usually say "Oh B.A" or "B.Sc" and when I asked them what major they all had to think about it for a second
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #1962
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dygital View Post
Speeding, 82 in a 60 but I was literally 20-30 metres from the 80 sign
stupid cop
Lol exact same thing happened to me. 81 in a 60 but I was so close to the 80.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #1963
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Once I completely ignored the 50 sign on SW Marine and blasted through that area going 80 with a cop holding a radar gun standing right behind the sign which I only saw when it was too late.

Strangely enough, I wasn't pulled over, and I was the first car as well perhaps seeing a green box hurtling over is too intimidating
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #1964
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
She was giving me shit because i slowed down to find place to pull over
She said i 'caused a traffic'
I was only 5km below the speed limit and she said i was driving without caution and 'neglected'
There were no fucking traffic behind me other than one other car and she was liKe
'do u understand the road condition' which i replied 'theres no rain nor snow and clear sky and clear road'
And she started lecturing me about how there is going to be 'black ice' tonight in Washington
Cool im at seattle right now and there is no fucking 'black ice' anywhere
I admit my fault and i understand she is watching out for othets
But her and false accusation of 'causing traffic' and apparenrly i 'almost caused a collisiom' WHEN THERE WERE NO OTHER CARS was unnecassary.
And then she was like at least i wont give you a ticket for negligence
Speeding? okay i admit it. but negligence (aside from speeding from how she judged) wasnt even present.
Im bitter about this specific incident because she kept on saying she couldve given me a ticket for something i didnt do
I would take it to court and contest it. How long do you have before you make a choice to either pay or contest it? Its 15 days in Ontario, so I am not sure about BC. Anyway, wait until the LAST day possible and declare that you wish to take it to court (this raises the possibility that the court date will be set very late and you can claim unreasonable delay and stay of proceedings (Charter, s. 11(b)).

I personally never pay the tickets right away and always take them to court. First of all, it delays the payment, second of all, the cop might not show up (50/50 chance) and lastly, if the cop shows up, you can just plea bargain with him/her to get the fine lowered...

EDIT: Traffic law in Ontario is different than it is here, so I am not sure if the information above is even valid... I have not gotten a ticket yet here (knock on wood), so I am clueless as to what happens here...

EDIT: My apologies, did not realize that it happened in the States...

Last edited by broken_arrow; 12-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #1965
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
I would take it to court and contest it. How long do you have before you make a choice to either pay or contest it? Its 15 days in Ontario, so I am not sure about BC. Anyway, wait until the LAST day possible and declare that you wish to take it to court (this raises the possibility that the court date will be set very late and you can claim unreasonable delay and stay of proceedings (Charter, s. 11(b)).

I personally never pay the tickets right away and always take them to court. First of all, it delays the payment, second of all, the cop might not show up (50/50 chance) and lastly, if the cop shows up, you can just plea bargain with him/her to get the fine lowered...

EDIT: Traffic law in Ontario is different than it is here, so I am not sure if the information above is even valid... I have not gotten a ticket yet here (knock on wood), so I am clueless as to what happens here...
Might want to double check your facts before eagerly giving advice to go to court... that incident happened in Washington in the states and not even in BC or Canada. Charter arguments won't work.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #1966
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Might want to double check your facts before eagerly giving advice to go to court... that incident happened in Washington in the states and not even in BC or Canada. Charter arguments won't work.
Thanks! I thought it was at around UBC..

There was a radar on Chancellor Blvrd today. Just a heads up to everyone!
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #1967

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl38 View Post
Hitting the point with studying Chem 233 where I just want my exam to be over.

I fully understand why its the med school weeder now
They made it easier since when I took it. And when I took it it was apparently the first year they made big changes. (Was infamous for 1/3 fail rate and average of 55ish)
Posted via RS Mobile
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #1968
PRINCESS

thanks anyways boys
Im just gonna pay it. it was my fault. lesson learned.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #1969
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl38 View Post
Hitting the point with studying Chem 233 where I just want my exam to be over.

I fully understand why its the med school weeder now
Keep your eye on the prize. You don't want to get weeded out now do you?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #1970

I have 28 credits at the moment, and I'm doubtful I'll be able to pass Psyc 101 as I attended probably 4 lectures though I do have all the notes but I have no motivation to study for it at all. Because cognitive systems there was no space in any other courses which fit my timetable so I had no choice but to take this.

Consequences of failing a course in first term? Simply take an extra course in 2nd term or over the summer to make up for the loss of 3 credits? Or are there further complications which will affect me being able to move onto next year?

EDIT: don't plan on majoring in science at all, and I have a high average from all my other courses, so whether or not I really need to pass this class is questionable. Wondering if failing one course will really do much other than make you lose three credits.

I have a final the day before that actually counts, and I'd like to dedicate as much time to the course that actually counts instead of one that doesn't.

Last edited by Akinari; 12-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #1971
#savethemanuals

Best not to fail a course if you can pass. But if you have to... just don't let it become a regular thing and you'll be fine.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #1972
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

After the Chem 233 exam.

But really, I went in better off than a lot of people I know (~70%) and I'm not shooting for Med school anyways. If I keep my grades from this term up I still have a shot at getting into dietetics.
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #1973

Somehow I read "dietetics" as "diabetes"
Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #1974
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Best not to fail a course if you can pass. But if you have to... just don't let it become a regular thing and you'll be fine.
Personally, I would do anything I can to avoid an F grade and I would recommend you to do same. It reflects very poorly on your transcript and you don't fully know the future implications of having an F in your transcript.

As an example, I am working on my applications for grad schools in Canada, and this question of whether I have ever failed at post-secondary institution is repeatedly coming up. Depending on how competitive the admission is, it could hurt my chances of acceptance. Also, I would be kicked out of my specialization if I ever fail a course (but I guess this is irrelevent to your situation?). I was also asked about the reasons behind my lowest grade during job interviews. If that lowest grade had been an F, I would have had more explanation to do.

I've seen people pull-off decent scores without ever attending classes or even reading the required novels in an english class. Perhaps you can also do the same. Good luck.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #1975
#savethemanuals

Yup, listen to GGnoRE. Do everything humanely possible to avoid failing. Even if that means going off RS for a couple days. You're in your first year right now and it might not seem like a big deal but it might come back and bite you in the future.
This post thanked by: