REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 05-15-2014, 12:52 AM   #3226
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Finally approved for graduation! I was admitted to UBC DAP as well, anyone else thinking of doing DAP in September?
Advertisement
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #3227
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Do you guys know of any (relatively) low-maintenance/easy upper-level science courses?
theevilslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 AM   #3228
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Does anyone know when the Fall 2014 session opens for course registration?? I have my time ticket for registration, I just want to know when is the first day. I have some grad seminars that I'm trying to get into and they're really limited so I'm just a tad worried.
sloansabbith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #3229

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevilslave View Post
Do you guys know of any (relatively) low-maintenance/easy upper-level science courses?
Are you taking it to satisfy the Arts' Science requirement?

I'm taking EOSC 314 with Michael Lipsen right now. The Ocean Environment. It's interesting for the most part, but it is a lot of info for sure. I can't say it is easy. It is demanding but relatively okay I suppose. (emphasis on the relative). I'm thinking of taking FNH 200 - Exploring Our Food in the fall. I checked out Rate Your Prof and the designated prof for FNH 200 seems pretty good. Now that I've taken an EOSC, I feel this FNH might be easier : \

EOSC 314 is definitely not a GPA booster that's for sure. But Michael Lipsen is an amazing prof. Engaging, hilarious, down to earth, patient, and really understanding. He tries really hard to make sure what he is teaching is actually making sense to non-Science students.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #3230
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansabbith View Post
Does anyone know when the Fall 2014 session opens for course registration?? I have my time ticket for registration, I just want to know when is the first day. I have some grad seminars that I'm trying to get into and they're really limited so I'm just a tad worried.
june 16
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #3231
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Okay I have a serious dilemma here, I was hoping that someone could help me..

I recently got admitted into science co-op, I am in my second year (going to third) in Integrated Sciences. It would require me to work 16 months to complete the contract (delaying graduation by a year). I know a couple of other people that got in too, but they aren't doing it because they really do not want to take an extra year to graduate.

I plan on going into a grad program after my undergrad. So do you guys think co-op will be useful for someone like me that's set on doing grad school? The main reason I am doing it is so I have a backup plan and somewhat relevant work experience. Another friend of mine has done engineering co-op and got a decent job after graduation (note... ENGINEERING!). In all honesty, I kinda want to graduate with my friends as well and it will seem weird not seeing the people from my year but I guess that's not a valid reason to justify not doing it. Why are so many people not doing it? There must be a reason. Yet almost everyone that has gradded or is older than me says they regret not doing co-op. So confusing..........
EUPHORiA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #3232
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,540 Times in 4,321 Posts
What is graduating earlier going to do for you?

Earn you $1,000,000? Make you 100x more intelligent? Run the Boston Marathon faster than the current record time?

You have all the time in the world!

Do co-op. Get a better job than your fucking dumbass chump friends. Or ask yourself this: "Do I want to be a lazy Hipster hanging out at a coffee shop on Main Street doodling my dreams and desires, writing poems about regret?"

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHORiA1911 View Post

I recently got admitted into science co-op, I am in my second year (going to third) in Integrated Sciences. It would require me to work 16 months to complete the contract (delaying graduation by a year). I know a couple of other people that got in too, but they aren't doing it because they really do not want to take an extra year to graduate.

I plan on going into a grad program after my undergrad. So do you guys think co-op will be useful for someone like me that's set on doing grad school? The main reason I am doing it is so I have a backup plan and somewhat relevant work experience. Another friend of mine has done engineering co-op and got a decent job after graduation (note... ENGINEERING!). In all honesty, I kinda want to graduate with my friends as well and it will seem weird not seeing the people from my year but I guess that's not a valid reason to justify not doing it. Why are so many people not doing it? There must be a reason. Yet almost everyone that has gradded or is older than me says they regret not doing co-op. So confusing..........
I'm in an entirely different faculty (Arts - with the hopes of Law school down the line), but most of my friends went through co-op when given the chance, and all of them landed really helpful opportunities or met people that ultimately helped them to even better opportunities.

Graduation is important (and graduating with friends is icing on the cake), but what happens after is also extremely relevant with how you play your cards now.

Most of my science friends have gone onto nursing, med school or education. (They were either in general sciences or they were in pharmacy and now in med etc.). Having the work experience under your belt would give you more edge especially with grad school. I don't know what your plans are for afterwards, but references and just knowing the right people could help you more than you know. Might I add, if you can find relevant work on your own that would help you with your grad school route and/or facilitate your Integrated Science interests, then co-op might not be necessary? Something to consider anyway...

I think it's entirely normal that you feel uneasy since others have rejected this opportunity, but really look introspectively at what you want, and what it will take to get you there, regardless of time. (I know that sounds silly because everyone wants to graduate hastily, but sometimes, taking the time to slow it all down and figure out what actually will benefit you in the long run could save you more time (and perhaps money) down the line - know what i mean?) That's my opinion anyway.

Good luck!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #3234
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:

It depends. I'm going to blurt out my thoughts on the spot without any sort of coherence.

The degree of value that co-op is to you, can depend on the previous success of the program, the connections that particular co-op program has with said companies of interest, as well as what you make of the experience, etc etc. The list goes on.

If you're wishy-washy about this or that, co-op is a great opportunity to gain experience in the workforce as a student without the same pressures and expectations from that of a graduated student. As a co-op student, you are there to learn and develop your skills and most employers will acknowledge that.

People looking to enter the workforce directly out of their bachelor's, particularly those who do not have a professional degree, are essentially tacking on an additional skill set under their belt. It gives them something to talk about during an interview, when several other applicants have the same grades and piece of paper as you do.

That being said, it's hard for peeps coming out with certain degrees (usually professional degrees) like applied sciences to find themselves jobless and naked in the industry unless they have severe social skill deficits. That's not to say they couldn't benefit from co-op anyhow.

At the end of the day, co-op is there to teach you how to fine-tune job search skills, how to build an impressive cover-letter and resume, score interviews, etc. Connections with well-established companies is a bonus. The amount of effort you put into the program will determine how much you receive out of it.

A big reason I decided to do co-op was because I felt I needed a break from studying for 3 years. To take time off entirely from school without doing anything seemed like a waste of time, but on the other hand, studying for 3 years straight was sucking the life out of me and I knew I needed a break. Naturally, co-op was the perfect fit for me.

When making critical decisions like this (decisions that will undoubtedly impact your future), always weigh out the pros and cons. It sounds corny, but that's really what it takes. If you're really on the fence about doing it, I would take a leap of faith and try it out. I know you're set on grad school, and I have much respect for people that have a goal set in place, but you never know how one experience can change aspirations you thought were once set in stone.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 06-16-2014 at 08:24 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #3235
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:

Do the co-op. You won't regret it.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #3236

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
What is graduating earlier going to do for you?

Earn you $1,000,000? Make you 100x more intelligent? Run the Boston Marathon faster than the current record time?

You have all the time in the world!

Do co-op. Get a better job than your fucking dumbass chump friends. Or ask yourself this: "Do I want to be a lazy Hipster hanging out at a coffee shop on Main Street doodling my dreams and desires, writing poems about regret?"
LOL. Quoted for truth.

Quote:
I'm in an entirely different faculty (Arts - with the hopes of Law school down the line), but most of my friends went through co-op when given the chance, and all of them landed really helpful opportunities or met people that ultimately helped them to even better opportunities.

Graduation is important (and graduating with friends is icing on the cake), but what happens after is also extremely relevant with how you play your cards now.

Most of my science friends have gone onto nursing, med school or education. (They were either in general sciences or they were in pharmacy and now in med etc.). Having the work experience under your belt would give you more edge especially with grad school. I don't know what your plans are for afterwards, but references and just knowing the right people could help you more than you know. Might I add, if you can find relevant work on your own that would help you with your grad school route and/or facilitate your Integrated Science interests, then co-op might not be necessary? Something to consider anyway...

I think it's entirely normal that you feel uneasy since others have rejected this opportunity, but really look introspectively at what you want, and what it will take to get you there, regardless of time. (I know that sounds silly because everyone wants to graduate hastily, but sometimes, taking the time to slow it all down and figure out what actually will benefit you in the long run could save you more time (and perhaps money) down the line - know what i mean?) That's my opinion anyway.

Good luck!
Thanks for such a new perspective and thorough reply! Definitely is important. I just don't want to look back a few years from now and regret not taking this opportunity when I could have.

I plan on going into some sort of professional grad program related to healthcare. But I have not found any relevant work anyhow.

I understand, I don't get what the big deal is in graduating a year later. A year is nothing when you consider the grand scheme. Thank you, and good luck with your law school goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
It depends. I'm going to blurt out my thoughts on the spot without any sort of coherence.

The degree of value that co-op is to you, can depend on the previous success of the program, the connections that particular co-op program has with said companies of interest, as well as what you make of the experience, etc etc. The list goes on.

If you're wishy-washy about this or that, co-op is a great opportunity to gain experience in the workforce as a student without the same pressures and expectations from that of a graduated student. As a co-op student, you are there to learn and develop your skills and most employers will acknowledge that.

People looking to enter the workforce directly out of their bachelor's, particularly those who do not have a professional degree, are essentially tacking on an additional skill set under their belt. It gives them something to talk about during an interview, when several other applicants have the same grades and piece of paper as you do.

That being said, it's hard for peeps coming out with certain degrees (usually professional degrees) like applied sciences to find themselves jobless and naked in the industry unless they have severe social skill deficits. That's not to say they couldn't benefit from co-op anyhow.

At the end of the day, co-op is there to teach you how to fine-tune job search skills, how to build an impressive cover-letter and resume, score interviews, etc. Connections with well-established companies is a bonus. The amount of effort you put into the program will determine how much you receive out of it.

A big reason I decided to do co-op was because I felt I needed a break from studying for 3 years. To take time off entirely from school without doing anything seemed like a waste of time, but on the other hand, studying for 3 years straight was sucking the life out of me and I knew I needed a break. Naturally, co-op was the perfect fit for me.

When making critical decisions like this (decisions that will undoubtedly impact your future), always weigh out the pros and cons. It sounds corny, but that's really what it takes. If you're really on the fence about doing it, I would take a leap of faith and try it out. I know you're set on grad school, and I have much respect for people that have a goal set in place, but you never know how one experience can change aspirations you thought were once set in stone.
Yeah it's definitely good to take time off so you don't get burnt out. Glad to know co-op worked out so well for you man. Thanks for the advice, I find that the pros seem to outweigh the cons by a little bit haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Do the co-op. You won't regret it.
I've already accepted the offer to do it, but I just needed a more... mature opinion on the matter. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #3237

Quote:

Thanks for such a new perspective and thorough reply! Definitely is important. I just don't want to look back a few years from now and regret not taking this opportunity when I could have.

I plan on going into some sort of professional grad program related to healthcare. But I have not found any relevant work anyhow.

I understand, I don't get what the big deal is in graduating a year later. A year is nothing when you consider the grand scheme. Thank you, and good luck with your law school goals.

I would even look into volunteer work if your heart is really set on not actually doing the co-op program. Vancouver Coastal Health, the Children's hospital, care homes etc. I know that my friends did co-op as well as volunteer work for experience as well as a little real world taste of what they're getting themselves into.

[I had a friend who was in pharm, did well in it, liked it, but ultimately wanted to do med. He didn't get an interview with ubc the first time around, so he stuck with pharm as his back up plan. It was a solid plan, until he did the co-op. He realized he wasn't happy doing pharm, he wanted to do more. But he learnt a lot and applied that with his interview process for med, and now, I can happily say he's a 2nd year med student at ubc!!]

I hate to say it, but the stress and rush of graduating in 4 years, or just graduating in general is a very common and, for lack of a better way to put it, naive way of seeing things. Unless of course you are dead set on your goals and you know exactly what it is you want out of your education. (I for one can say that most of the people I know do not fall under that category : p)

Someone previously said this already, but you do have all the time in the world. (I have friends who took their time, got their expensive piece of paper, crossed the stage, and actually went into schooling for another BA in an entirely alternate direction from their first BA because they wanted to finish for the sake of finishing without thinking of the END game.)

Advising isn't always so helpful, but I would recommend talking with people in the fields that interest you. Pick their brains. See what they have to say about the industry at present.

So the question now is, what is your end game?

: )
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #3238
#savethemanuals

Hey sloansabbith if you have any questions at all about law school feel free to shoot me a pm... especially if you're interested in UBC.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #3239
Treasure Chest MOD

^ubc law beast right hurr.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #3240
RS Veteran

Quote:
I'm not here to nit-pick you, but more so to offer some advice I've offered to my siblings so don't take it as a personal attack. One of my siblings is in pre-med and the other in industrial manufacturing.

Based on your response alone, "I plan on" and "some sort of professional program" doesn't cut it. It screams, "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing and I don't know what the fuck is going on!" This is why you should do co-op. The program exposes you to different career options and fields and for all you know, healthcare may not be the right field for you. Take westopher for example. He trained and studied to be a paramedic. He ended up being a professional chef and he absolutely loves it.

You haven't found any relevant work - This is normal and again, I want to emphasize the fact that it's always a good option to do co-op. It really puts you out there and breaks you out of that Disney make-believe fantasy world we live in. It's a hard taste of reality and if you keep an open mind and embrace new and different ideas, you may get somewhere your friends will never be because they're sitting at Gene Coffee Bar with their Macbook Pro listening to hipster garbage on SoundCloud.com.

Thank your friends because now they aren't competing for your future.

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #3241

Quote:
I would even look into volunteer work if your heart is really set on not actually doing the co-op program. Vancouver Coastal Health, the Children's hospital, care homes etc. I know that my friends did co-op as well as volunteer work for experience as well as a little real world taste of what they're getting themselves into.

[I had a friend who was in pharm, did well in it, liked it, but ultimately wanted to do med. He didn't get an interview with ubc the first time around, so he stuck with pharm as his back up plan. It was a solid plan, until he did the co-op. He realized he wasn't happy doing pharm, he wanted to do more. But he learnt a lot and applied that with his interview process for med, and now, I can happily say he's a 2nd year med student at ubc!!]

I hate to say it, but the stress and rush of graduating in 4 years, or just graduating in general is a very common and, for lack of a better way to put it, naive way of seeing things. Unless of course you are dead set on your goals and you know exactly what it is you want out of your education. (I for one can say that most of the people I know do not fall under that category : p)

Someone previously said this already, but you do have all the time in the world. (I have friends who took their time, got their expensive piece of paper, crossed the stage, and actually went into schooling for another BA in an entirely alternate direction from their first BA because they wanted to finish for the sake of finishing without thinking of the END game.)

Advising isn't always so helpful, but I would recommend talking with people in the fields that interest you. Pick their brains. See what they have to say about the industry at present.

So the question now is, what is your end game?

: )
Yep, definitely been volunteering. I volunteer at the hospital and at a diabetes research foundation. I also work but it is part-time, and not what I plan to do in the future anyway.

To be quite frank with you, the only reason I was second guessing my decision in co-op is because A LOT of my friends said it will delay grad by over a year. Which freaks me out because I don't get what the big deal is about that. Maybe I was missing something? But at the same time, a lot of people that have done co-op have loved it not to mention the ones who didn't do it regret it.

That's right man, made me realize that there isn't a straight road to success, everyone's path is different.

Changed my mind from Med->Dent->Optometry->Pharm->Dietetics to this. Mainly due to my GPA though, I'd still do med if I had the grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm not here to nit-pick you, but more so to offer some advice I've offered to my siblings so don't take it as a personal attack. One of my siblings is in pre-med and the other in industrial manufacturing.

Based on your response alone, "I plan on" and "some sort of professional program" doesn't cut it. It screams, "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing and I don't know what the fuck is going on!" This is why you should do co-op. The program exposes you to different career options and fields and for all you know, healthcare may not be the right field for you. Take westopher for example. He trained and studied to be a paramedic. He ended up being a professional chef and he absolutely loves it.

You haven't found any relevant work - This is normal and again, I want to emphasize the fact that it's always a good option to do co-op. It really puts you out there and breaks you out of that Disney make-believe fantasy world we live in. It's a hard taste of reality and if you keep an open mind and embrace new and different ideas, you may get somewhere your friends will never be because they're sitting at Gene Coffee Bar with their Macbook Pro listening to hipster garbage on SoundCloud.com.

Thank your friends because now they aren't competing for your future.
No no, not at all. I totally agree.

I really like your advice here, thanks! Co-op seems to be a great way of discovering myself some more, but also gaining skills, and opening new doors for myself. Atleast that's how I view it.

Last edited by EUPHORiA1911; 06-17-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #3242
RS Veteran

As long as you have a clear and realistic plan in how to achieve your goals, along with an exit plan (extremely important!) you should be fine.

The best thing you can do is to ask questions and be open to ideas. It's up to you to apply it all. In the end, any outcome is based on decisions you made on your own because there is no right and wrong (except doing what your friends did.) Most importantly, failure can sometimes be the key to success, pending you learn from the mistakes.

Good luck!

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #3243

^Thanks everyone for the help. I'm just grinding and trying my best. Hopefully it all works out in the end

It'll be weird not seeing my friends and a lot of the people in my year in the upper years, esp since everyone was just starting to become tight and what not. But whatever, I'm sure it's for the best!

Last edited by EUPHORiA1911; 06-17-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #3244
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

anyone have any recommendations for less intensive upper level credits?
liukb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #3245
Treasure Chest MOD

was searching through previous ubc thread. Is megusta still around for eosc118 notes?

Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #3246
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
was searching through previous ubc thread. Is megusta still around for eosc118 notes?
I took 118 2nd term this last year
....notes? Just studied the entire module the day before and landed a solid A-
Quizzes and whatnot are on quizlet.

@person thinking of taking FNH 200: Do it, taking it right now. Its very low maintenance.

@person confused about coop: I just got accepted into comp sci coop. To be honest it makes a lot of sense to me to grad with some experience in the field, regardless if you go into grad school or not. Plus, the cash is really helpful (unless your ballin')
theevilslave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #3247

Okay, so I am back for more wisdom.

I recently went to my physiotherapist (to shadow him), and he showed me how the physios worked and everything, he essentially showed me that physios aren't happy with their jobs mainly because they do not make enough for all they do. The ones I went to make about 4-5k a month, apparently. Which is not a lot for Vancouver. Mind you, this is a professional degree which means you won't advance too too much up the pay ladder he said.

Now I don't really want to do physiotherapy either, I know money isn't everything, but having 100k in loans and making 50k/yr isn't exactly what I picture myself doing. It seems that every career option I pick has some sort of huge flaw in it, due to the state of today's economy or whatever it may be. I also don't think it is sufficient enough to support a family of my own in the future.

I honestly really wanted to do dentistry but it is insanely competitive. My second year GPA is average (didn't put in a lot of effort), but my first year GPA is abysmal (didn't study at all first year, partied, etc.). But it's good to have a backup plan as well. IF I get Dent school worthy grades this year, I will consider going that route. I feel it's worth it in the long run.

I looked into healthcare administration, but business is not my thing. I prefer direct healthcare and helping people. So with that said, can anyone recommend me some healthcare careers that I may look into. I am just so frustrated and confused, everytime I move forward for something, I always end up in this position. I just want to make a proper life for myself, that is all.

Thanks again
Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #3248
#savethemanuals

If you really want to become a dentist then do everything you can do make that dream come true.

You didn't put in a lot of effort in first and second year but you can still change that. Its going to be hard but it is possible.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #3249

The only reason I am holding back on dentistry is because I don't want to be on my parent's dime for so long. Kinda want to start working so I can support them as they're getting old as well. But it is still up in the air at the moment.

Thanks for the real advice, hard to find these days
Old 06-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #3250
I STILL don't get it

Hi everyone!

I’m a new 2nd year Comp Eng transfer student coming in and I'm not quite clear on the UBC way of registering, so I have a couple of questions. Be aware that I'm also contacting Student Advising, but personal opinions from fellow students is sometimes better.

My program uses "Fixed" Standard Timetables in that they directly state that, and I quote, "Changes and/or dropping courses are not allowed. Students must take all components of this STT."

By that token, am I required to use STT's when registering for courses? I don't want to take a full course load because I want to volunteer to EUS and participate in a student engineering team. I'm thinking of leaving off the english and elective requirements until the summer months. So probably bringing down the course load from 5 or 6 courses per term to just 3 or 4.

Also, since we cannot drop courses, does that mean we have to take F's instead of withdrawing from a course if we're getting overwhelmed? That doesn't seem right...

Any help? Thanks guys and girls!!
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote