REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Review: Bought a 2011 Kia Soul - Sharing my feedback

So I recently bought a new car, and when doing my research, I relied heavily on owner reviews and opinions before making my choice. So I thought i would contribute to the pot and review a car that probably alot of you may be weary about buying due to the Brand it is.

So after much research and consideration I purchased a 2011 Kia Soul 4u 5pd manual. Here are my thoughts as a summary, feel free to ask for more details if you're interested in finding out more about something.

Pros:
-Cheap, got it for $24k taxes in, 0% financing for 60 months (in the price range of the civics, fits, corollas etc)
-Great array of standard options. In the 4u package - heated seats, sunroof, bluetooth handsfree, steering wheel audio/bluetooth controls, 7 speaker sound system with built in subwoofer, heated mirrors, 18" wheels, sports suspension
-Drives more like a car than an SUV, the sports suspension and 18's really help
-5 spd shifting and clutch has a decent feel to it, nice to drive
-5 year comprehensive warranty/5 year roadside assistance (more than the competitors)
-Great rear passenger room
-Under trunk storage tray with compartments to carry all my stuff
-seems more functional than a regular passenger car
-standard tinted windows
-standard roof rails
-Great safety rating/features
-Great reviews online

Cons:
-Fuel efficiency for a 2.0L 142 hp engine wasn't as great as I had hoped. So far only driven 1500kms, but averaging about 9.8L/100km in the city. I drive with a bit of vigor, so you may have better luck, but it's no honda fit
-center armrest isn't standard (it's an option though)
-no cargo cover available in canada (available across the border though)
-cross bars for roof rails cost extra
-seats are a little hard

Driving impression:
-car handles well, doesn't drive like a minivan compared to the 5spd manual Scion XB I also test drove
-Brakes were nice and responsive unlike the squishy ones of the Scion
-Acceleration is nothing to write home about as expected with an economy car

Overall thoughts:
-I'm happy with the purchase and would recommend it as a car after living with it for a while
-Styling is a bit out there, so not everyone will like it, but I think it's pretty neat compared to what else is out there on the road
-Built in roof rack opens up the possibility of getting some cross bars and mounting a kayak or a cargo box for road trips
-Glad to be saving money on gas and insurance from my previous WRX
-Spending some time at the KIA dealership i'm pretty impressed by some of their lineup. The loaded Optima that was in the showroom was actually pretty nice once you actually sit inside it
-Resale value seems to be holding well for this car so far even with the branding, but I plan to keep it for at least 5 years anyways, so it doesn't really matter as much to me anyhow

If you can toss pre-conceived judgements out the window, you may be pleasantly surprised by their new lineup of vehicles. I may actually get another KIA down the road... seems like a great value esp. considering their warranty
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I was pretty close to getting the soul when I was looking for a car 2 years ago, I agree with you, it's an awesome car to drive, no go-kart or anything but the power is more than adequate and the feel is better than the cube/scion/yaris/caliber. I liked the ride height and IIRC the interior noise was better than any of those cars I test drove (besides the one I ended up getting ) the cube almost had an echo of road noise on the highway :/

9.8L/100km for a 2.0L car under sportier driving really isn't bad, the best fuel economy I found was with a cube CVT but man that thing is dull...

IMO the brand has never been a deal breaker for me (ended up buying a "saturn") lmao but glad you're enjoying the soul. Did you end up getting the moodlamp speakers? if so how well do they work? lol
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
I drive a 2010 Nissan Cube and here's why I have a Nissan Cube and not a soul:

Pros
1. I got it for 20k out the door, a whopping 4k (2 BMWs in my scenario) less
2. CVT actually delivers 7.6L/100km mixed driving
3. the sideways hinged door is much easier to open when you already have grocery in one hand
4. Interior is much nicer
5. Even at base model I have BT, audio control, cruise control and my price includes the CVT, 6MT can be had for even less.
6. I have a stadium for headroom.
7. Nissan provides 10yr/200,000km warranty on their CVT transmission, matching 5yr drivetrain warranty, but only 3 year comprehensive warranty - but then by 3rd year whatever is going to break that doesn't drive the car has to have broken already.

Cons:
1. I don't have a sunroof option even at top model
2. you have 142HP I have 118, even though 0-100 is almost no difference thanks to the CVT transmission
3. Highway cruising wind noise is horrible.
4. no heated seats

if you opt for 2011 Cube SL it comes with on board parking camera and GPS...for a bargain basement priced car those are really nice touches.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I love the styling of the Soul, and I thought the 'Party Rocker' Hamsters commercial was kind of .. cute..

But if I were to buy one, I would have waited for the 1.6GDI engine. Same power, but much smoother and better economy.. Either way, nice car!

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

P.S. I love the new Sportage SX, and am trying to convince my dad to try it over a Tiguan

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I drive a 2010 Nissan Cube and here's why I have a Nissan Cube and not a soul:

Pros
1. I got it for 20k out the door, a whopping 4k (2 BMWs in my scenario) less
2. CVT actually delivers 7.6L/100km mixed driving
3. the sideways hinged door is much easier to open when you already have grocery in one hand
4. Interior is much nicer
5. Even at base model I have BT, audio control, cruise control and my price includes the CVT, 6MT can be had for even less.
6. I have a stadium for headroom.
7. Nissan provides 10yr/200,000km warranty on their CVT transmission, matching 5yr drivetrain warranty, but only 3 year comprehensive warranty - but then by 3rd year whatever is going to break that doesn't drive the car has to have broken already.

Cons:
1. I don't have a sunroof option even at top model
2. you have 142HP I have 118, even though 0-100 is almost no difference thanks to the CVT transmission
3. Highway cruising wind noise is horrible.
4. no heated seats

if you opt for 2011 Cube SL it comes with on board parking camera and GPS...for a bargain basement priced car those are really nice touches.
pros:
can be parallel parked on a driveway
danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
that would be considered "perpendicular parked on a driveway"
Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #8

I do have the moodlamp speakers in the front and everyone gets totally tripped out by them... Pretty sweet albeit a purely showy feature

The 2012 souls have a GDI engine which yields 160hp (I think) and has better fuel economy, and it'll come with a 6spd transmission as well... I couldn't wait because I was returning my WRX, so I just stuck with this one.

The only reason i'm disappointed in the 9.8L/100km mileage is just because the advertised ones are lower... but I know it's not likely a car will really get their EPA fuel economy ratings during regular driving.

I didn't consider the cube because I wasn't a big fan of the styling. I preferred the more aggressive exterior of the Soul, and just overall liked the features better. But to each their own of course. Some probably think the Soul is super ugly (i.e. my sister)
Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
IMO the Soul is much better looking than the Cube.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
yea Soul>Cube anyday.....Cube is awful to drive imo and CVT transmission makes me want to blow my headoff especially when you roll off a green light and give it gas and notice its not switching gears and then realize oh yeah CTV blehh
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

They need to bring back the xB or the Subaru Dex. the current replacement is nothing compare to the original, its not even the same segment of car in Toyota Japan's lineup.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

I work in the service dept of a Kia dealership. Keep in mind, you haven't really hit the break in period so your fuel economy will improve. All brand new Kia's get less than stellar fuel economy for the first few thousand km's, especially the Rondo.
I almost bought a Soul 2U 2.0L few months ago, but couldn't get it in red in manual. Just none available, and I don't like the facelift of the 2012 Soul so if I was going to be getting into a car payment, then I wanted EXACTLY what I wanted :P

I think that it is a much better choice than the Cube. Base base base model comes with everything pretty much minus sunroof, 'sport suspension', bigger wheels, and lights and stuff. Still get bt, power everything etc. Great car, for a great price.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #13

yea, i'm hoping for improving fuel economy as the engine breaks in... *fingers crossed* And yes, some of the facelifted changes are a bit odd to me on the 2012, so i'm fine with the 2011.

Actually, you might know the answer to this question then. Are the brakes the same size for the 2u and 4u? I was wondering if I could run 16" snow tires when the car normally has an 18" wheel. I can get some 16" steelies or something, but if the brakes are actually bigger on the 4u (which I don't think they are) then there may be fitment issues... I know the 2u has 16's stock, so I think it might work
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
i think there just be a thread JUST for driver reviews of newer model cars..

this way people who are looking for a new vehicle can read some opinions and driver impressions...

Anyways.. heres my review

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring GL
Pros:
Tons of interior room (which means lots of head/leg room).
Rear hatch is very roomy, I had to buy a small chest freezer, bought a 3.5cu in one and it fitted (a bit tight) in the back.
140hp on a 2.0l (havent really broken in the engine to really test it out, but the test car was nice)
GL trim and higher comes with standard front seat-mounted side-impact and rear roof-mounted side-curtain airbag
Handles nicely for a big hatch, I was able to take the apex curve (knight > Hwy 91) at 85kp/h, then i let off the gas as the tires (15" stock steelies) were screeching
Standard 4 wheel disc breaks on all trims
0% financing for 84months

Cons:
Automatic... not that it bad, its just not as fun as a 5spd, just didnt want to be bothered with being stuck in traffic. Trying to hold a girls hand can also be a drag...
Outside wasnt very appealing, especially the back, looks a bit weird..
Road noise, Road noise, Road noise... I can hear tons of Road noise... but once I turn up the music, its fine
Didnt come with any accessories, coz they said that since its 0% for 84months... was still able to get the cargo tray cover... very good IMHO...
No sunroof.
GODDAMN headligh bulbs are H11B... WTF.... damn hyundai and their stupid bulbs..

What I was looking for was a vehicle that I was able to transport stuff in.. The Hyundai ET hit the spot... Was also looking at the mazda3 and the Kia soul... the Soul didnt have the cargo space i wanted. Mazda didnt offer the 0% financing, only a deal on leasing at the time I bought my car. Honda/Toyota were a bit over my budget. I walked out the door with the GL model at $21k even.... was able to talk down the price a bit... I didnt have the money to throw down, otherwise, I was probably able to get $1-2K off, which is roughly the amount of interest Hyundai had to pay the bank...

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 09-15-2011 at 12:06 PM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
RS controls my life!

I'm not totally sure. A quick phonecall to your dealership should be able to answer it though.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by What_the? View Post
yea, i'm hoping for improving fuel economy as the engine breaks in... *fingers crossed* And yes, some of the facelifted changes are a bit odd to me on the 2012, so i'm fine with the 2011.

Actually, you might know the answer to this question then. Are the brakes the same size for the 2u and 4u? I was wondering if I could run 16" snow tires when the car normally has an 18" wheel. I can get some 16" steelies or something, but if the brakes are actually bigger on the 4u (which I don't think they are) then there may be fitment issues... I know the 2u has 16's stock, so I think it might work
There's only a difference between the 1.6L and 2.0L engines.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
If they ever come out with the 1.7CRDi and 6 speed manual as an option, I'll be all over it.

We need more diesel commuters and small trucks in Canada.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #18

I think the 2012 is actually a 6spd manual now... no CRDi though