REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Exactly my point. Taking the "lessons" are just circumnavigating the system. Sure if you instill those skills on NEW drivers they may stay ingrained for a longer period of time but teaching "old dogs new tricks" is only showing them how to get past the test they are not going to change their driving habits.

Berz out.
I'm sorry, I didn't hear a word you said, I was distracted by your avatar.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #27
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
I like the idea. It's just very unrealistic.
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #28
RS controls my life!

I don't think it's THAT unrealistic. Obviously it's not going to be implemented overnight. And to those people that complain about how they would fail because of new rules and stuff. This is the point. You currently would not pass a driving test meaning you currently can not meet the driving standards put forth by the gov. And then you say ok well I will be trained to pass a test. And you know what. For many they may not use anything they were tought but guess what? They can't say they didn't know about the rules. And how many people will go train for the test and actually use one thing they learned. Could mean one accident avoided. And to the dude saying retest 60+... come on. Why discriminate? There are just as many bad 40 something's out there.
Posted via RS Mobile
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #29
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
If you read I'm not saying simply "bad" drivers that are 60+ I'm saying drivers that are physically unable to drive anymore due to various things that happen in old age.

Berz out.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #30
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[QUOTE=Berzerker;7580710]Ok I'm going to play devils advocate here.

From what I've read so far, the ability to pass a current drivers test without taking a "course" on exactly how to pass the test given the "rules" the administrator will grade you on is slim to none. I got my license 20 years ago. I took 1 try and I took the test the earliest I possibly could after getting my Learners. Not an L but previous to that just a learners. Now if you were to make me retest, by the sounds of things I would fail based on a million little technicalities that I wouldn't know about in the current system. Does that make me a bad driver?

If one of the things you didn't do as one of the "million little technicalities" involved something like maybe blind spot checking on every turn or when pulling over or out from the curb...or actually looking out the back window when backing up instead of just glancing in the mirrors) as almost every one of the "evaluation" drivers I instruct (who are all drivers with at least as much experience as you say) then that is important.

Ok So I go take "lessons" which are more like instructions on how to get by the "system" (do this because if you don't you'll fail) which end up costing me money, time off work, etc. Then I go take the test and I pass. Great. Do you think I'm going to drive daily like I did on the test? Fuck no. I'm driving the way I have driven for 20 years and just because I get retested or forced to retest is NOT going to change that. All it's going to do is cost people money and time.

A good instructor will convince you to change the way you drive and the reasons for doing it that are far more important than just passing a test. It's called real life and people get killed and injured daily because they don't use these skills. I just retrained a 74 year old driver so that he could not only pass his first test, but be a safe driver. He and his wife both realized that he needed help.

The ONLY people I think mandatory retesting should be done on is people over 60 years old.

As a 63 year old, I'm personally offended by that.

I personally think they should be tested at 60, 65, and every year after 70. The tests should be free but mandatory. And that is because your ability to drive actually becomes a physical problem for many people as they advance into their elder years. I've seen the rapid degradation of people of age happen in 1 year. From mobility, to sight and hearing as people advance in age they may not physically be competent enough to be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

Agree fully and the percentage of crashes for over 65's is about the same as under 19's, for different reasons. The new drivers because they are not trained, skilled and have undeveloped risk perception and acceptance levels...and the old farts like me because they are doing what you stated.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #31
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post

As a 63 year old, I'm personally offended by that.

[/B]
63? You're old! Oh, hang on...I just looked at MY drivers license...I'm not far behind
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
And to those people that complain about how they would fail because of new rules and stuff. This is the point. You currently would not pass a driving test meaning you currently can not meet the driving standards put forth by the gov.
DING DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Quote:
Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
63? You're old! Oh, hang on...I just looked at MY drivers license...I'm not far behind
I'm only 20 years behind that... now I feel old too!
Quote:
Old 09-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #34
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal;7581513 And to those people that complain about how they would fail because of new rules and stuff. This is the point. You currently would not pass a driving test meaning you currently can not meet the driving standards put forth by the gov.
[size=1
Posted via RS Mobile[/size]
What I am trying to figure out is, what rules and regulations (in regards to safe driving) have changed in the past 20 - 30 years? I think we have to differentiate between "forgetting" what we've learned as opposed to NOT having learned it in the first place.

Like it's been said before....MANY (a huge percentage) drivers don't use or apply ALL the things they learned studying for their drivers test....after driving for a while. Would you call that not knowing the current "rules and regulations" or being lazy...?

Last edited by Simnut; 09-18-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
RS Peace Officer

"Noun

curmudgeon (plural curmudgeons)
1.(archaic) A miser.
2.An ill-tempered (and frequently old) person full of stubborn ideas or opinions. There's a cranky curmudgeon working at the hospital who gives all the patients and other doctors flak. (AKA Doctor House) John Doe's old age and stubborn aversion to new ideas make him a curmudgeon of a candidate."

If the shoe fits........../
Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #36
RS Peace Officer

"Noun

1.(archaic) A miser.
2.An ill-tempered (and frequently old) person full of stubborn ideas or opinions. There's a cranky curmudgeon working at the hospital who gives all the patients and other doctors flak. (AKA Doctor House) John Doe's old age and stubborn aversion to new ideas make him a curmudgeon of a candidate."

Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #37
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
"Noun

1.(archaic) A miser.

Age also shows when a person starts to repeat themselves.......

Age also shows when a person starts to repeat themselves.......
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #38
RS Peace Officer

Anyone seen my glasses or my keys?...The glasses are where?.....never mind. Now I can see the keys.