REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Another New Car Thread (Infiniti G37)

Although I get tired of these threads myself, I figured personal experiences would shed some light on areas that I haven't yet considered. I'm planning on getting rid of my B6 Audi A4 Quattro (1.8T) for a new car. I could get myself into another Audi but I thought I'd shop around and see my other options.

I'm value interior detailing and technology the most in a car. After looking at the Infiniti G37, it definitely has both of those aspects covered. Sitting inside one, it was rather comfortable and had lots of room in it. I don't think I would miss my Audi if I picked up one of those.

Has anyone had any experiences with the G37 (positive/negative.) How's the maintenance on these cars; do they require a lot of work and maintenance to keep them running smoothly? Infiniti's AWD system, is it a decent setup or am I better off saving my money and opting out for it?

I would've posted this in the Infiniti sub-section but felt it could be better handled in the Automotive Section where people can bring more insight and unbiased opinions. At the end of the day, the decision of course is mine, but your insight is definitely valued and appreciated...

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

I have a 2010 G37 Sport with Tech Pkg 7A/T RWD coupe (purchased May 2010).

I was in the market for something more luxurious and sporty after driving my 2006 Civic Si for 5 years. It basically boiled down to the 335i and G37S. After optioning both cars with similar equipment, the Infiniti was thousands less than the BMW. The BMW definitely had more refined steering and power delivery, and it definitely had more prestige factor. The problem is everyone had one. I mean everyone (ie. Richmond).

So anyway, back to the G. I love all the tech features that came standard with it. An for the $3750 Tech Pkg, you get a TON more stuff too! It's pretty dumb not to go for it, value-wise. The amazing VQ growl is so damn addicting (your gas bill is going to die), as is the 7-speed A/T with rev matching. Sounds sick Power delivery is pretty abrupt, and this is where the BMW shines. It's smoother and more manageable at slow speeds, but it's more benign at high speeds.

As for comfort - it's right up there with other luxury cars. The sport seats are infinitely adjustable and so comfortable to cruise in. Suspension on my Sport version, along with the 19" Enkei rims can be a bit harsh at times. Ergonomics are very well laid-out and easy to use. The nav screen is touch sensitive which is a huge plus (fuck BMW's iDrive). However, past a certain speed, the touch input is deactivated for many functions including address input. So annoying.

Practicality for my coupe is totally nonexistent. The rear seats are not only hard to get into, they're basically useless once you sit in them. Let's not even talk about the trunk. I can fit maybe a bag of chips in there.

Maintenance is standard for a Japanese car. Oil changes can be complicated because of the flat panels covering the underbody. Not a big deal though. Tires may wear out quickly too. Other than that, no big maintenance concerns.

Drivability is hit or miss, I find. Some of my friends/family love it, but others find fault with the sloping hood or large blindspots in the rear. The gunslit rear windshield is hard to see out of too. Forward visibility is awesome though. And the high belt line makes you feel inside the car, rather than on top of it. Parking the car is a breeze thanks to the rear sonar and backup camera! I wish the mirrors tilt down in Reverse though.

I think I've covered everything. Ask away if you want more details.

PS - I found the seat bottoms wear out quickly and tend to stretch out because of the soft perforated leather. It seems to be a common issue and some people have been able to have their seats reupholstered under warranty.

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by marc0lishuz; 09-18-2011 at 12:39 AM.
marc0lishuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
i think the main competitor for g37 is the 335i. if you want performance and driving dynamic is a factor for you then go with the 335i but be prepared to pay more. bmw obviously does not put much effort into interior. the seats are comfortable and everything but the gauges have pretty much looked the same since forever with the orange display and everything. so for an interior guy like you, i'd go with a g37.. cause the interior is pretty nice. it still has that straight line power, just not so much cornering and handling but for daily drive it wouldn't matter that much. i'd also pick rwd for the fun + decreased powertrain losses due to awd, but thats just me..

have you thought about a new s4? in my opinion from the big 3 euro companies, bmw -> driving dynamic, audi -> interior/looks, and mercedes benz -> comfort.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
TKO mod

Buy my G37 S ! I haven't listed it yet because I wasn't sure if I was gonna sell it! 6 Speed M/T, 2008, 70K clicks, White! PM me

- And to answer your question, ive had nothing but great things to say about this car. Great performance, tons of features, best bang for buck in class IMO. The only problem i had with the car was that the stock tires wear out fast (common problem)- I switched to a different set of bridgestone potenzas and they perform even better, last longer, and super grippy.
JoshiE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
TKO mod

Buy my G37 S ! I haven't listed it yet because I wasn't sure if I was gonna sell it! 6 Speed M/T, 2008, 70K clicks, White! PM me

- And to answer your question, ive had nothing but great things to say about this car. Great performance, tons of features, best bang for buck in class IMO. The only problem i had with the car was that the stock tires wear out fast (common problem)- I switched to a different set of bridgestone potenzas and they perform even better, last longer, and super grippy.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 AM   #6

marc0lishuz, thanks for your insight. It was definitely what I was looking for. The online community for Nissan/Infiniti seems to be quite different from what I'm used to from the Audi community. Younger guys who are more interested in burn-out videos and people they raced on the streets (Nissan Forums) as opposed to tech, reviews and car woes (Audi Forums.)

All in all, I like the G37. It seems to have the best bang for your buck as I can get a lot more technology in the car for a cheaper price than I can in a new Audi (ie: Navi, Bluetooth, Back Up Camera, Upgraded Stereo.) Also, the G37 does look very refined which was the reason why I bought my B6 A4 in the first place. The only thing is, in order for me to get the equivalent features that I have in my current Audi, or to match those features in the G37, I am looking upwards from $47,000+.

I have ruled out buying a BMW 335 as the interiors are too plain for me. Apart from a few finishing touches, there is really no difference between the standard 335 interior and say the 328 interior; if I'm paying more, I'd like to get more than just performance for my money.

My biggest hesitation is that I don't want the Infiniti to be a downgrade from my Audi. A lot of people I've spoken to already think that going from a luxury German sports car to a Japanese luxury/sports car, I am doing down the ladder, rather than up. I subconsciously feel the same way. I've always felt German cars were built better and finished nicer.

I am leaning towards the sedan model; the newer generations 2010+ have some nice styling to their sedan models that make it look a little more sporty than boxed out.

JoshiE, although I am looking into the G37S, I would be looking for a 2010 model or newer and with 40,000K or less. Thanks for the offer though, I would've loved the car in white.

Lastly, I've been reading nothing but bad things about our local Infiniti dealerships here on REV. I haven't found really anyone that has had a positive experience with ANY of the Infiniti Stealerships. Of course, dealerships in general don't have a good image with consumers but I have yet to have any problems with my Audi dealership. Have you had any bad issues with your warranty or other experiences at local Infiniti dealerships? How did that seat wear issue turn out for you? Was it warrantied?

Thanks,

Parm
Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
check out the 2012 c class? im considering it

or have you even considered the current A4? (new c looks better though imo)

(u havent listed a budget so excuse me if those are not @ the price range u're looking for)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Wow! Great review marc0lishuz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc0lishuz View Post
I have a 2010 G37 Sport with Tech Pkg 7A/T RWD coupe (purchased May 2010).

Spoiler!

Posted via RS Mobile
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I disagree with the comment about the BMW interior. I love the quality of the materials used..the placement of controls, the angles used to shape the dash and console. It may seem a bit plain to some, but to me it is a subtle beauty that I really appreciate.

The G37 interior in contrast looks pretty cool at first, but just doesn't have that expensive feel. Cheap plastics, and the working controls just aren't as cleverly integrated into the flow of the dash. They spend so much time on the design of the car then looks like they just slapped in a center stereo console.

I think we see so many 3 series that we get bored of looking at the same thing and our eyes wander to something new(G37), but if I were to see both cars for the first time I would choose the 335 in a heartbeat.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
TKO mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
marc0lishuz, thanks for your insight. It was definitely what I was looking for. The online community for Nissan/Infiniti seems to be quite different from what I'm used to from the Audi community. Younger guys who are more interested in burn-out videos and people they raced on the streets (Nissan Forums) as opposed to tech, reviews and car woes (Audi Forums.)

All in all, I like the G37. It seems to have the best bang for your buck as I can get a lot more technology in the car for a cheaper price than I can in a new Audi (ie: Navi, Bluetooth, Back Up Camera, Upgraded Stereo.) Also, the G37 does look very refined which was the reason why I bought my B6 A4 in the first place. The only thing is, in order for me to get the equivalent features that I have in my current Audi, or to match those features in the G37, I am looking upwards from $47,000+.

I have ruled out buying a BMW 335 as the interiors are too plain for me. Apart from a few finishing touches, there is really no difference between the standard 335 interior and say the 328 interior; if I'm paying more, I'd like to get more than just performance for my money.

My biggest hesitation is that I don't want the Infiniti to be a downgrade from my Audi. A lot of people I've spoken to already think that going from a luxury German sports car to a Japanese luxury/sports car, I am doing down the ladder, rather than up. I subconsciously feel the same way. I've always felt German cars were built better and finished nicer.

I am leaning towards the sedan model; the newer generations 2010+ have some nice styling to their sedan models that make it look a little more sporty than boxed out.

JoshiE, although I am looking into the G37S, I would be looking for a 2010 model or newer and with 40,000K or less. Thanks for the offer though, I would've loved the car in white.

Lastly, I've been reading nothing but bad things about our local Infiniti dealerships here on REV. I haven't found really anyone that has had a positive experience with ANY of the Infiniti Stealerships. Of course, dealerships in general don't have a good image with consumers but I have yet to have any problems with my Audi dealership. Have you had any bad issues with your warranty or other experiences at local Infiniti dealerships? How did that seat wear issue turn out for you? Was it warrantied?

Thanks,

Parm
Good luck on your search!

I would personally stay away from Autowest hands down. I only bought my car from them because they were the only ones who had my car in white with M/T in S package.

I work at an auto group actually and can get Infiniti at fleet pricing (i am not in sales!). PM me and i can pass a contact on to you.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
I disagree with the comment about the BMW interior. I love the quality of the materials used..the placement of controls, the angles used to shape the dash and console. It may seem a bit plain to some, but to me it is a subtle beauty that I really appreciate.

The G37 interior in contrast looks pretty cool at first, but just doesn't have that expensive feel. Cheap plastics, and the working controls just aren't as cleverly integrated into the flow of the dash. They spend so much time on the design of the car then looks like they just slapped in a center stereo console.
This. I come from a b8 s4 and a few months ago I was looking for a new car. I checked out the g37 and as much as I like the look of the car, the interior fit and finish just felt like shit. I'm fine with plastic but the g37's paddle shifter, console, etc, just ...felt cheap. The biggest turn off was the navigation and their controls was always out of reach and unintuitive.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #12

Materials for both cars (G37S and 335i) are top notch. You're surrounded by soft-touch plastics, nice leather/vinyl, aluminum, etc. The fit and finish is also very good. It all comes down to personal taste. Personally, I find the BMW's interior very drab. It's very driver-centric, which is awesome, but it's not that nice to look at. The Infiniti, on the other hand, gets a lot of compliments. The dials glow a purple/blue and white which is much better than the BMW's orange. The controls, I find, are much easier to use than the iDrive. Yes, the iDrive will show you more diagnostic tools, more details, and more functions... typically German. The Infiniti's is simpler, quicker to navigate, and less technical... typically Japanese.

I'm trying to say that both are good cars for what they are, but you have to keep in mind where they were produced, and their price points. You wouldn't be disappointed with either (and I drive both on an almost daily basis).

PS - The note above the Infiniti's paddle shifts... it's actually solid magnesium wrapped in leather. MUCH easier to use than the 335's (which is steering wheel mounted and plastic). Even Jeremy Clarkson found fault in this design.

But we digress...

Yes I love the technology in the G37!! So many standard amenities are included. The laser-guided cruise control is amazing for people who do lots of highway miles. It's fun around town if you want to shit yourself (the temptation to brake is overwhelming sometimes, but the cameras find obstacles without fail!). Rearview camera is endlessly useful as well. It makes you wish they had the Around-View camera system as an option. Aside from that, both cars are similarly equipped when they're loaded to the tits.

Stereo is awesome. I'd say it's on-par with the BMW's. Note however that you only get 6 months of free XM with the G, compared to a year with the BMW.

Another note, the steering wheel seems large in the G. They have a new style that's in the M and Fx, but they didn't use that in the current G The BMW's is smaller and feels nicer to hold (and did I mention it's heated!)

As for dealerships, I got mine from Auto West in Richmond, and have nothing but good things to say about my experience and my salesperson. Their new showroom is beautiful too.
Posted via RS Mobile
marc0lishuz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
I looked at the G35 Sedan back in 07 (G37 sedan wasn't out yet, G37 coupe just came out at the time). The other 2 cars I looked at at the time was a Lexus IS350, and Legacy GT Spec B, I ended up going with the legacy because I didn't want the "flashiness" of the lexus/infiniti, but wanted some decent performance.

However, I would reccomend you check out the lexus IS350, plenty of power, from a luxury level, the lexus was the quietest of the 3 at highway speed. Technology wise, I think u can equipe the IS with all the bells and whistles that the Infiniti had. The IS was my favorite out of the 3 back then, however I was pretty adament on getting awd as well, and back then the IS350 didn't come in awd. (I believe now they do)
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

is350 awd has got to be the single most boring car I have ever driven
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #15

The Lexus definitely has a lot of tech in it as well and a lot of power in the 350 model. However, the interior is dull and plain. I also have several friends who own that vehicle and always prefer to do my own thing and stay different from my friend's and family's cars. My brother owns an E90 BMW 328 and it looks nice but as I mentioned earlier, the interior, although sporty and some what elegant, simply doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the Infiniti. (Bells and whistles is what I really enjoy in a vehicle.)

I do like BMW's iDrive control (location) as it's very easily accessible and I find that Infiniti's heads-up display/navigation is a little pix-elated. Has anyone else felt the same way?

Going from my Audi, I am definitely getting more power and more comfort. I am very happy with my Audi stereo, AWD system and having a turbo is a lot of fun (though annoying to keep maintained.) I wonder what the difference in feel would be going from a 1.8L Turbo 230HP engine to a 300+ V6 engine. More exhilarating feeling or just a steady, smooth increase in power. I personally would prefer a more exhilarating acceleration from the G37.

You may wonder why I haven't test-drive the car yet; and that's because I hate going into Stealerships and dealing with a particular salesman unless I really have to. I'll do all my research before going into a dealership and wasting my time and the sale person's time.

The biggest thing holding me back right now is the prestige factor. Owning an Audi, in my opinion, there is a little bit stature involved. It's a classy brand with generally expensive cars. I do feel that there is a bit of status involved in owning an Audi where as I don't feel the same with the Infiniti. That being said, that and the heads-up display are really the only two things that I'm not digging about the Infiniti.

As mentioned earlier, I am looking for certified pre-owned with 40,000KM or less. And my price range for this vehicle is about $40-$45k max. I have seen one that caught my eye at AutoWest Infiniti; It's a 2011 White G37 S AWD Sedan with the High Technology Package. Basically fully loaded with only 10,000KM selling for about $47,000. It's a demo car though and I don't have an experience with purchasing a demo :S.

This is as nice of an interior the G37 can be:
(Anniversary Edition)

This is as nice of an interior the 335 can be:

This is AS nice of an interior the IS350 can be:
(IS-F Model)

2011 Audi A4 interior:

Obviously there will be slight differences between the G37 anniversary model and the one I am looking at and the IS-F model and the IS350 that I would be looking at, but these pictures give us a good idea of the differences between the 4 interiors.

Last edited by parm104; 09-23-2011 at 03:38 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongy View Post
is350 awd has got to be the single most boring car I have ever driven
I have to agree on this 100%. Other than cosmetics and bragging rights of driving a Lexus, the is350 is pretty muched a glammed up awd Camry.

I'd go with the G out of your choices.. which is kind of ironic since I sold my G35 because of the headache. But I drove a friend's G37 last week, and it was just lightyears beyond what my G35 had. It's just a whole new, better, more solid car. (also the fact that it's 6 years newer lol ) But the G37 would be up there in my top choices if I was in the market for a new car. And I don't know, the 3-series image never really did it for me. They're nice cars, but you kinda just get a "meh" for the inside and out. I've personally had little to no interest in the 3-series. Maybe that's because you see as many old asian ladies driving 3-series as you see driving Civics.. I think in terms of looks and sex appeal.. the G wins by long shot.. but that's subjective.

..Now I miss my Infiniti!!

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #17

My interior

Highway driving is pretty good on fuel!

Love my car!
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshiE View Post
Good luck on your search!

I would personally stay away from Autowest hands down. I only bought my car from them because they were the only ones who had my car in white with M/T in S package.

I work at an auto group actually and can get Infiniti at fleet pricing (i am not in sales!). PM me and i can pass a contact on to you.
What's wrong with autowest infiniti? I take my moms car there and they seem fine. An oil change change takes forever but that's my only complaint.
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
TKO mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordpoop View Post
What's wrong with autowest infiniti? I take my moms car there and they seem fine. An oil change change takes forever but that's my only complaint.
Service is great there actually and parts. Slightly over priced in retail when you compare at other Infiniti dealerships. IE- Brake pads cost $30 more at autowest than they do at Morrey. I was referring to sales + business office - such a bad experience when buying my car. No attention when I walked in, pressure sales as soon as I sat down, tried so so so so so hard to sell me "wax" on my car for an extra $500 and tint for another $550. Only bought the car from them because I wanted white in the "S" and M/T and they were the only ones who had it.

anyways this went offtopic! Good luck on your search bud! The G37 S is an amazing car.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshiE View Post
Service is great there actually and parts. Slightly over priced in retail when you compare at other Infiniti dealerships. IE- Brake pads cost $30 more at autowest than they do at Morrey. I was referring to sales + business office - such a bad experience when buying my car. No attention when I walked in, pressure sales as soon as I sat down, tried so so so so so hard to sell me "wax" on my car for an extra $500 and tint for another $550. Only bought the car from them because I wanted white in the "S" and M/T and they were the only ones who had it.

anyways this went offtopic! Good luck on your search bud! The G37 S is an amazing car.
Man, you'd be dumb not to take that deal! $550 for tint! They probably have Richmond RCMP on stand-by to so when you get off the lot, they peel it and make you spend another $550 on doing it again.

On a more serious note, when I went to Auto West, it was a pleasant experience. There were two receptionist (possibly one of them was the Sales Manager) and another salesman there to greet me with smiles and inquired about what I needed help with. Great service; though the salesman didn't have too much knowledge on the cars and I felt like I was teaching him more than he was teaching me...Some of these older guys are just there to put food on the table (which I respect) but they have little knowledge of the products they're selling.

Anyways, I've realized that 2010+ is probably going to cost me an extra $10,000 so I've found a 2008 with only about 35,000km on it. It's a black sports coupe with high tech package. I like the car overall but am annoyed by the little screen in the middle of the dashboard (the red colored one). It looks very cheap and the new upgraded white/blue/black version is a lot classier.

I'm also searching for interior night shots to see what the interior looks like at night with the lights on. Trying to assess the lighting ambiance. Hopefully, I'll be in a new G37 by the beginning of October.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
I like the car overall but am annoyed by the little screen in the middle of the dashboard (the red colored one). It looks very cheap and the new upgraded white/blue/black version is a lot classier.
The 2010+ with the white LCD panel matches the rest of the lighting much better than the red

This post thanked by: