REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Windows 8 in 8 min (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653812-windows-8-8-min.html)

twitchyzero 09-18-2011 03:41 PM

Windows 8 in 8 min

Consumer Preview Download:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/download

expected to launch late next year...supposed to be more tablet friendly
not sure how i feel about this :heckno:

Matlock 09-18-2011 03:51 PM

wtf I just bought windows 7 :seriously:

If it weren't for games, I'd just switch over to linux.

Gridlock 09-18-2011 04:13 PM

OK, let me get this straight.

Once upon a time, there was windows. We got to the point where we really couldn't improve windows anymore. That was Windows XP.

Debate me, but its true. You don't like the way it looks? Change it. I had xp looking like osx for a while.

We sat on that for 6 years.

Then we tinkered and failed, and called it vista.

Then, we made something to put on new computers, but really minimal point in putting it on old computers. Called it '7', because we ran out of cool names.

Then, someone made a cell phone os do something so much more, and suddenly we felt this rush to have cell phones run the world.

And now, we have an os that looks like a cell phone.

bengy 09-18-2011 04:15 PM

Windows 7 with fancier UI

van_driver 09-18-2011 04:54 PM

still on xp and loving life

TheKingdom2000 09-18-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

OMG!!! I really don't understand you people.. did ANYONE watch past 5:00 ?

The old windows is still there.. exactly the same as windows 7/ vista.. calm down please.
-youtube person
On another note;
I really think Microsoft should have picked people that had presentation experience. These techies have terrible presentation skills, imo.

I really think when you want to introduce a new product you need to sell it to people.
These guys are doing a terrible job at it... One girl is studdering, another guy is speaking 100km/h, and another guy has the raspiest voice in the world, and when they try to explain the new features it sounds confusing as hell..

SoNaRWaVe 09-18-2011 05:34 PM

sorry but i think that windows 8 UI looks like utter crap out of the box.

rsx 09-18-2011 06:13 PM

terrible, recorded with a pineapple fo sho

taylor192 09-18-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7582260)
Then, someone made a cell phone os do something so much more, and suddenly we felt this rush to have cell phones run the world.

And now, we have an os that looks like a cell phone.

All-in-one desktops are already out that incorporate a touchscreen, so I can see why you think its a "cell phone OS" yet its a move towards touch interfaces, and a much needed move as the mouse is outliving its usefulness. If my laptop had a touch screen I'd probably rarely use the touchpad, and I very rarely use a mouse anymore cause it means carrying one around.

taylor192 09-18-2011 09:58 PM

We're developing healthcare software using smart tiles as well as many of our competitors. Its great for displaying information in a manner that is flexible to how much the user needs, and can be changed easily and intuitively to display more or less.

There's Android skins that mimic Windows Phone 7 tiles, and I really like them - yet I'm an information junkie, and understand others like the simple clean interfaces which tiles are not.

unit 09-18-2011 10:02 PM

i think its a logical progression for a phone OS to have an influence on a PC OS.
phone OSes are much more modern than PC OSes so to me it makes a lot of sense.
windows 7 and its predecessors were built off of the windows 95 model which is extremely outdated. they should have attempted to to a complete overhaul back with windows vista.

1exotic 09-18-2011 10:07 PM

no matter how bad it gets

windows > mac

:troll:

unit 09-18-2011 10:14 PM

depends what you use it for
the user experience is better on osx but yeah windows does pretty well everything.

Culverin 09-18-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 7582325)
On another note;
I really think Microsoft should have picked people that had presentation experience. These techies have terrible presentation skills, imo.

I really think when you want to introduce a new product you need to sell it to people.
These guys are doing a terrible job at it... One girl is studdering, another guy is speaking 100km/h, and another guy has the raspiest voice in the world, and when they try to explain the new features it sounds confusing as hell..

Agreed. They need real marketing people to deliver a presentation like that. They guys just don't know how to present anything.

As for myself, I'll be getting Win 8 for sure.
It's still got REAL windows is hidden underneath all that bloat UI that you can turn off.

Also, the new file structure which is supposed to make everything even faster.
Side note, I heard boot times get even more ridiculous. My 2nd gen SSD already has my boot around the 30 second mark. With a 4th gen SSD and Win 8, I should be able to cut that down to about 15 seconds.

StylinRed 09-18-2011 10:37 PM

Metro UI is gay

and even Engadget is saying Win8 is barf because you cant escape the Metro UI even if you turn it off a lot of the menus/control panels etc etc are still metro

but there's still a year to go for them to make changes

what makes even less sense is that nobody is buying WindowsPhone cell phones... people are still buying WinMO phones more than they are WP7! and Ballmer probably thinks if we force MetroUI down peoples throats in the desktop OS they'll be familiar with it and buy our dead cellphone

AzNightmare 09-18-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_driver (Post 7582292)

Same here. I have no problems with the WinXP interface.
The only issue I'm worried about for myself is that since I never
made that jump yet (work and school still uses XP as well),
I'll eventually have to face the learning curve.

And the longer I wait, the more bigger that gap between XP and the current
windows version will be, and I assume it will be a bigger jump then.

I'm one of those guys that use my computer abusing all sorts of window
shortcut commands, and if stuff starts changing too much, I'm gonna get really
annoyed until I get used of it.

LiquidTurbo 09-18-2011 10:46 PM

How is XP better than Win7? :fulloffuck:

The only thing I can think of is for people like Electrical Engineers they can't run RSLogix, etc on anything better than XP.

Culverin 09-18-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7582699)

Switch over to 7 right now, almost everything is the same as XP.
The keyboard shortcuts too. They just added a few new ones.

As for as Win7 as a whole, it's THE most stable operating system I have ever used in my life. The alone is a good enough reason to switch. I live at my computer and programs rarely crap out on me on usually it's only Firefox and it's stupid memory leakage. Even then, the rest of the OS is still intact.
Best OS I've used hands down.

Also, isn't XP like 11 years old or something? You wouldn't be caught dead using a single core with 1gb of RAM would you? Why be stuck with an old OS?

mb_ 09-18-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7582699)

For me it was VERY easy to get used to Win7. The only thing that took me a while was the taskbar but you can change it if you want. As for the shortcuts most, if not all are the same.

Very stable OS, eye candy is a bonus and doesn't hog your memory. You don't need crazy hardware as well to smoothly run it and enjoy the features (unlike Vista lol)

Great68 09-19-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7582720)
Also, isn't XP like 11 years old or something? You wouldn't be caught dead using a single core with 1gb of RAM would you? Why be stuck with an old OS?

When the OS does everything you need it to do, why upgrade for the sake of upgrade?

I've got Win7 on my desktop & XP on my laptop. For what I do with my laptop (Email, Web, MS Office) there is no good reason for me to spend the $150 to upgrade.

Greenstoner 09-19-2011 07:41 AM

lol i kinda like it

bengy 09-19-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7582694)
Metro UI is gay

and even Engadget is saying Win8 is barf because you cant escape the Metro UI even if you turn it off a lot of the menus/control panels etc etc are still metro

Wow, Engadget says it's barf so I must think so too!!!! Engadget is an Apple ass licking web site, I go there for the troll comments, not for their blog posts.

unit 09-19-2011 09:24 AM

i can hook up some windows 7 licenses.
holla

white rocket 09-19-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_driver (Post 7582292)

absolutely! XP is tha bomb and so easy. Wouldn't change for anything.

TekDragon 09-19-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7582260)
OK, let me get this straight.

Once upon a time, there was windows. We got to the point where we really couldn't improve windows anymore. That was Windows XP.

Debate me, but its true.

Except for the lack of drivers for new hardware, the loss of support being imminent, and the fact that it can't support newer hardware.

Oh, and the whole money aspect.