REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

New Petro-Canada CIBC MasterCard

Anyone got one? Do you think the savings and the points (when converted back to gas saving value) is worth while?

Also I have CIBC Visa and PC MasterCard (which is also by CIBC); would having another CIBC card be is bad thing?

Cheer~
Advertisement
"With chocolate, you know what you're gonna get and I can't always be delicious."
Gachinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

This card is getting worse as time goes by. Before the points were not needed to get the 5 cents off and you could use them for other things. Before CIBC took over the card could be used for online sports betting and BCLC.COM and you would still get points. Now that CIBC owns it you get charged $3 and interest every time.

Whether getting this card too will depend on a lot of things. What are your other cards and especially what is your other CIBC card?
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

I've calculated a return value of 1.16% for my use. So same as everything else.
"With chocolate, you know what you're gonna get and I can't always be delicious."
Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
This card is getting worse as time goes by. Before the points were not needed to get the 5 cents off and you could use them for other things. Before CIBC took over the card could be used for online sports betting and BCLC.COM and you would still get points. Now that CIBC owns it you get charged $3 and interest every time.

Whether getting this card too will depend on a lot of things. What are your other cards and especially what is your other CIBC card?
CIBC Dividend which I never use, cuz I've read all the fine prints and found that the total return value is less than 1%. I got another Bizline from CIBC but that doesn't count for daily purchases. My President's Choice is issued by CIBC too... so I'm just thinking if having another CIBC card is a good thing or a bad thing... or nothing really.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

In that case I would switch the Dividend to the petro card cause at least you still get 2 cent off per litre for using the card, that is if you get petro gas anyways. I don't know if you;ve included this part in your calculation. Also afaik the dividend card does not have Purchase Security & Extended Warranty Insurance which is pretty dam sweet.

Replace the dividend with this
TD Cash Rewards Visa Credit Card
You start off at 1%. Also you get Auto rental collision damage waiver which is hard to get without getting a gold card. If you do need to rent cars for your business, it would save you a lot of money. I don't beleive the BIZline has this feature.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

mbna platinum - i think 3% on gas?
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I only use this for gas at petro canada.

Sucks to hear that CIBC is stricter than Citibank. I remember my HSBC card didn't allow me to book flights because of their "enhanced" security features, so I used the Citibank card without any problems.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #8

Thanked 1,769 Times in 910 Posts
I was using the Petro Mastercard for years until I got a MBNA Cashback card.

So now what I do is I use just the Petro Points card to get points but use the MBNA Card to pay for the gas. I miss out on saving 2cents per L but the value of having 3% cash back is more worth while.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #9

^remember next year when gas is 66 cents that won't work anymore

Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Yup, I use the MBNA Smart Cash Platinum for gas and groceries, and a second card for everything else.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #11

This MBNA Smart Cash, I don't see it mention which gas stations / grocery stores, so is it any gas station / grocery store?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #12

^ id like to know this as well because it says only certain ones and im curious which it really includes...u can never trust a credit card company haha
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
Yup, I use the MBNA Smart Cash Platinum for gas and groceries, and a second card for everything else.
curious: why dont u use mbna for non groceries non gas? isnt it 1% cashback for those things? is there some disadvantage?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
curious: why dont u use mbna for non groceries non gas? isnt it 1% cashback for those things? is there some disadvantage?
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes it gives 1% cash back on everything else, but there are other cards that offer higher rewards than 1% on purchases.

But.... those cards can't beat 3% return on gas and groceries, which is why I use the MBNA, but just for those things.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
This MBNA Smart Cash, I don't see it mention which gas stations / grocery stores, so is it any gas station / grocery store?
Most of the ones you would encounter.

Here's a list I found (may not be 100% complete):

MBNA's Smart Cash Card - BEST CASHBACK CREDIT CARD EVER!!! | Credit card reward programs | Discussion forum | Canadian High Interest Savings Bank Accounts
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Every merchant has a merchant code (MCC). So long as the MCC of the place you used your credit card is under the category of "Grocery Store/Supermarket" and "Gas Station", you will get bonus points on the MBNA card.

Which is basically any gas station or supermarket. Even those tiny asian supermarkets on Victoria Dr. Lol.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #17
JqC

Quote:
In that case I would switch the Dividend to the petro card cause at least you still get 2 cent off per litre for using the card, that is if you get petro gas anyways. I don't know if you;ve included this part in your calculation. Also afaik the dividend card does not have Purchase Security & Extended Warranty Insurance which is pretty dam sweet.

Replace the dividend with this
TD Cash Rewards Visa Credit Card
You start off at 1%. Also you get Auto rental collision damage waiver which is hard to get without getting a gold card. If you do need to rent cars for your business, it would save you a lot of money. I don't beleive the BIZline has this feature.
The url you posted links to a TD America credit card. We don't have this card in Canada.
JqC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #18

^ You're right I was thinking of this card
Cashback Visa Cards : Cash back Visa Credit Card | TD Canada Trust
But anyways the MBNA card these guys are talking about blows them both out of the water.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
Yes it gives 1% cash back on everything else, but there are other cards that offer higher rewards than 1% on purchases.

But.... those cards can't beat 3% return on gas and groceries, which is why I use the MBNA, but just for those things.
Have you reviewed other cards for things like purchase protection/warranties and insurance for travel or whatnot?

I am curious what other card may be better than the 1%
Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #20

For no annual fee cards, there's really nothing on the market that can beat the MBNA smart cash card in terms of cash back, period.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
X2 MBNA Smart Card is the best card available (unless you want Aeroplan/Airmiles) 5% cash back on gas and groceries for first 6 months then 3% thereafter. I get a $50 cheque nearly every month. I use it for everything.

TD purchased MBNA so I hope they don't change it.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

it's the same card as the old one, jsut you get points at more locations..and the card looks nicer.
r3n3r4d3 is offline   Reply With Quote