REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #5326
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Actually, reading over the problem again, if it's pre-rendered, it sounds more like an internet issue.

You can verify this by lowering the quality of your stream + opening your task manager.
Advertisement
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #5327
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Could it be that the video is being re-encoded as it's being streamed because it's in the wrong format?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #5328
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If it's pre recorded why are you streaming it?
We need it to "feel" live. We're building an app that requires live video and this is all just part of our MVP. We used to hard code the video inside the app and play it for everyone at the same time but there's a limitation on how big the videos are. And it just doesn't cut it to have to require our testers to download a 300mb app where when they stream it it's < 20mb.

At least if we stream the video, we can make sure that everyone is at the right spot even though it's pre-recorded.

Eventually we do want this all to be live but right now we're doing the best we can while also juggling our 9-5s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Actually, reading over the problem again, if it's pre-rendered, it sounds more like an internet issue.

You can verify this by lowering the quality of your stream + opening your task manager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Could it be that the video is being re-encoded as it's being streamed because it's in the wrong format?
Will verify these tonight. Hopefully it's not my internet though since I'm on the Shaw fiber and have about 15mbps upload.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #5329

Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
To confirm, I used MSI Kombustor on the memory profile to recreate the issue.
Is that the GPU memory burner? I've run that on 3072MB (what the card is supposed to have) without anything crashing. Running the benchmark on the old 7870 I get 6161 points (102 fps), on the 7970 I get 3878 points (64 fps). I'm going to try safe mode and doing a clean driver install with the good drivers from AMD instead of the shit from Gigabyte.

On a side note I noticed that for some reason in the advanced screen res settings the "Shared System Memory" is 3817MB? Giving a total graphics memory of 6889MB.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 02-02-2018 at 08:48 PM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #5330

Well I used Display Driver Uninstall in safe mode, installed the latest drivers from AMD, and still no improvement. According to PassMark it's scoring at less than half of what the average is for this card.

edit: setting Kombustor to "GPU memory burner (3072MB)" and then running a benchmark gives the crap score in the 3k range (and GPU-Z shows the dedicated memory capping out below 3000MB). Setting it to 2048MB and then doing the benchmark gives a score in the 9k range. Does this indicate a problem with one or more memory chips on the card? That doesn't really explain why it runs like garbage in game even when using almost no memory.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 02-02-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #5331
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Anyone have a pretty decent streaming computer? My friend and I are working on a project and I need to live stream a pre-recorded video to youtube, not necessarily gaming. I thought my PC would be able to handle it no problem but I seemed to start dropping frames 30 minutes into it then it stopped.

Specs:
CPU: i5 4670k
MOBO: Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: ASUS GTX 770

Would it be the i5 that's causing the slowdowns? I'm not running anything else except OBS and the video is just a regular 1080p mp4.

try go into obs settings>output>cpu usage present>medium...

than keyframe interval>2

if the cpu usage can't hang with "medium" encoding try fast next....

also go into power settings in the system settings and make it high performance so your Window's isn't killing performance.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:02 AM   #5332
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Is that the GPU memory burner? I've run that on 3072MB (what the card is supposed to have) without anything crashing. Running the benchmark on the old 7870 I get 6161 points (102 fps), on the 7970 I get 3878 points (64 fps). I'm going to try safe mode and doing a clean driver install with the good drivers from AMD instead of the shit from Gigabyte.

On a side note I noticed that for some reason in the advanced screen res settings the "Shared System Memory" is 3817MB? Giving a total graphics memory of 6889MB.
Here are the benchmarks for that card. I would say you got a bad card if the benchmarks aren't lining up. The tests would indicate that some of the memory on that card are bad.

Edit:
Forgot the benchmarking link
http://www.geeks3d.com/20141209/gpu-...-scores-1080p/
For the Plasma test:
11364 points (189 FPS) – MSI Radeon HD 7970 – Catalyst 14.9 WHQL

Though, that's not the memory test... But from the comparison from the 7870 you have, it should have better scores. Especially if the memory frequency is higher.

I think the shared memory is with the pagefile system, which is set by windows as default. It's just a guess though.

Last edited by DragonChi; 02-03-2018 at 11:37 AM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #5333
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
that 7970 is done dont waste any more time on it
too bad because they're still pretty decent for 1080p
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #5334

I figured as much, now I'm just confused as to how it obviously has a problem but doesn't crash. I'm used to thing shutting down the moment there's even a hint of a hardware failure.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #5335
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
man the prices for video cards is insane right now!

was trying to build a PC for a buddy
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #5336
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i found out buying a prebuilt system and stripping out the video card and selling the cpu and memory will be worth more than doing a custom these days since video card and memory is insane with the pricing
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #5337
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Havne't build a computer in like 7+ years. Old gaming computer is starting to show signs of breaking down. I already upgraded the RAM, HDD to SSD and new video card. At this point I feel is pretty useless to keep upgrading.

Not into gaming anymore other than maybe overwatch once a while. I am thinking of spending <$400 to build a a PC mainly for just watching youtube, netflix mainly for streaming and then get an ultra book as my main laptop. Most likely need an SSD for the HDD and that's about it. Any suggestions? Should I just buy one that's already pre built?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #5338
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Havne't build a computer in like 7+ years. Old gaming computer is starting to show signs of breaking down. I already upgraded the RAM, HDD to SSD and new video card. At this point I feel is pretty useless to keep upgrading.

Not into gaming anymore other than maybe overwatch once a while. I am thinking of spending <$400 to build a a PC mainly for just watching youtube, netflix mainly for streaming and then get an ultra book as my main laptop. Most likely need an SSD for the HDD and that's about it. Any suggestions? Should I just buy one that's already pre built?
Whatever you build for less than $400 is gonna be a giant turd, so I'd just try to salvage what you can from your existing for now.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #5339
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Whatever you build for less than $400 is gonna be a giant turd, so I'd just try to salvage what you can from your existing for now.
My current desktop still works great for what I want (mainly Netflix, youtube). Doesn't justify me upgrading it anymore at this point since the CPU and MB and like 7 years or more ago. Video card is showing its age for newer games as well (heck I can't even play battlefront coz is not supported lol). But for older games or less graphic intense games it does fine (GTX 770).

I guess I should just use it till it breaks(might never happen lol) and just get the laptop now?
There are 2 laptop I currently looking to purchase
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...11624447.aspx?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10573745.aspx?

The Acer one does have a better CPU but overall the reviews saids the screen is not as bright and the keyboard isn't comfy to type on and the audio is pretty crappy. Plus I did have an Acer laptop years ago and it was total crap so not sure if they change or not.

Asus seems to have better build quality but the CPU is last gen. For I am doing I would think I would is better to have a faster clock CPU that's dual core rather than quad core at lower clock speed. Co-workder suggested Asus since their product seems better overall in terms of quality and support.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #5340

Acer is a quad core way faster. The build quality of the 2 should be similar. I would wait till a laoptop goes on sale. Check RFD for deals.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:33 AM   #5341
Total victory requires total destruction

Decided to get a new case and get some new rads!

2007 BMW 335i (Jet Black)
2009 Subaru Forester (Obsidian Black Pearl)
2017 Sierra Elevation Z71 (Dark Slate Metallic)
SaviorSelf_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #5342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
My current desktop still works great for what I want (mainly Netflix, youtube). Doesn't justify me upgrading it anymore at this point since the CPU and MB and like 7 years or more ago. Video card is showing its age for newer games as well (heck I can't even play battlefront coz is not supported lol). But for older games or less graphic intense games it does fine (GTX 770).

I guess I should just use it till it breaks(might never happen lol) and just get the laptop now?
There are 2 laptop I currently looking to purchase
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...11624447.aspx?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10573745.aspx?

The Acer one does have a better CPU but overall the reviews saids the screen is not as bright and the keyboard isn't comfy to type on and the audio is pretty crappy. Plus I did have an Acer laptop years ago and it was total crap so not sure if they change or not.

Asus seems to have better build quality but the CPU is last gen. For I am doing I would think I would is better to have a faster clock CPU that's dual core rather than quad core at lower clock speed. Co-workder suggested Asus since their product seems better overall in terms of quality and support.
Buy this before it sells out.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/stor...ot:overviewtab
Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #5343

I was able to plop that 7970 into my buddies computer just to see what happens, and it runs just fine. His PSU can't keep up if I really push it but games run like they should. I'm guessing it just isn't seating properly in my PCI slot or something is incompatible.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #5344

2 TB SSD $479
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX70381

Micron is the company that owns crucial so it should be similar to the MX 300 in performance.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #5345

Just bought a 500GB MVME m2. Samsung SSD. Just under $280 taxes duty nd shipping included.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._evo_nvme.html
Old 02-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #5346

^ was looking around for affordable NVMe and the ADATA 512GB with superior MLC cells through CC is only $199...even if Micron is considered by some to be less reliable than Samsung but thought it was worth mentioning

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=101442

does anyone know how to interpret the rail voltages on a PSU?

i've got a quality 1500W 80+G that has 4x 12V (32A, 48A, 48A, 16A) max output is 1440W ( i have excluded the 3.3V & 5V rails in the discussion for the sake of simplicity)

what I want to know is if I can safely connect a 4th set of dual PCIe 8-pins (drawing maybe 250W) from what was originally meant for 5 SATA connectors

Last edited by twitchyzero; 02-19-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #5347

Power is Voltage multiplied by Current. P = VI. So from my understanding those rails are good for:
12V x 32A = 384W
12V x 48A = 576W
12V x 16A = 192W
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #5348

how can I tell which rail goes to which connection without a meter?

or does the connection not matter as long as that's what the internals can output
Old 02-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #5349

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
^ was looking around for affordable NVMe and the ADATA 512GB with superior MLC cells through CC is only $199...even if Micron is considered by some to be less reliable than Samsung but thought it was worth mentioning

Adata XPG SX8000 M.2 2280 NVMe 512GB SSD ATTO Seq Read: 2400 MB/s, ATTO Seq Write: 1000 MB/s (ASX8000NP-512GM-C) - Canada Computers & Electronics
$10 cheaper here. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX69236
Old 02-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #5350

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
how can I tell which rail goes to which connection without a meter?

or does the connection not matter as long as that's what the internals can output
You might have to dig into the manual for that, the rails are separated from my understanding.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: