REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Official Building/Upgrading thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/654332-official-building-upgrading-thread.html)

twitchyzero 09-16-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belaud (Post 8030527)
BTW, 660TI is a better buy then the 7950.

nah dude 3gb @ 384-bit bus width at the same price makes it peform better
if you buy a card with a good cooler it overclocks pretty damn well..on par with 7970 GHz Edition which is a totally different league

CRS 09-17-2012 10:09 AM

Looking to get a new case.

Any suggestions or good deals going on?

G-spec 09-17-2012 09:38 PM

well thanks to you guys, and also my good friend to whom I gave a bunch of money too and he came back with parts, lol, now I got this new "rig" up and running...

he showed me the quick jist of things when it comes to this Asus software, it's bios settings and OverClocking..... but I'm not really needing to have this thing OC'd and I'm trying to get it back to the stock speed.
And the stock speed is supposed to be at 3.2 and I can't figure out how to get it back there, I've reset the options to defaults in bios AND this Asus Suite 2 software, but as you can see something weird is going on ? i'm no expert but are the speeds supposed to jump up and down like that ?
what are you guys seeing here that isn't right ?

this Asus Suite 2 software is pretty confusing, there isn't an automatic one switch magic OC button that they said there is, where you just basically move a slider up to desired speed and it automatically adjusts the voltages and other things.... it's just a shitload of settings and I have no idea what they're about.... what's the best and quickest way to get me back to normal ?

JoeyStorm 09-17-2012 10:14 PM

Can't see the video but it sounds like it's "jumping" because of turbo boost.

You can turn it off in BIOS, the CPU just adjusts according to workload (eg. it will turbo boost up to rated clockspeed when you're gaming or something intensive).

I personally leave mine on since I OC'ed my CPU, especially if you have your computer on 24/7, it does help with heat and power.

lilaznviper 09-17-2012 10:27 PM

Video is private G-spec

Anyways i believe what your saying is the C1E or something like that. It helps with heat and power usage. You can disable it in BIOS. The clock speed will go down when your not using CPU intensive and will go up when you need the power.

G-spec 09-17-2012 10:48 PM

yea ok i gotcha, made the vid public, but yea i went through a shitload of settings in bios and found turbo mode and disabled it.....

thanks for help guys

lilaznviper 09-18-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8031921)
Looking to get a new case.

Any suggestions or good deals going on?

Antec P280 if you want a silence.

SkinnyPupp 09-19-2012 05:31 AM

SSD Cache Performance - Is it as good as a dedicated SSD?

IMO if you have an Intel motherboard that supports Smart Response, then you NEED to be using it. Even if you get a cheap 32GB or 64GB drive, make use of this awesome feature!
I am using it even though I have a 240GB SSD as my main drive.

FerrariEnzo 09-19-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8033713)
SSD Cache Performance - Is it as good as a dedicated SSD?

IMO if you have an Intel motherboard that supports Smart Response, then you NEED to be using it. Even if you get a cheap 32GB or 64GB drive, make use of this awesome feature!
I am using it even though I have a 240GB SSD as my main drive.

is there any good brands or chipset to go for like the SSD drives with the older sanforce

belaud 09-20-2012 09:31 AM

Caching is one of the best innovations of this decade, allowing for SSD-like performance on an HDD after its been "cached".

The downside is, reloading other programs more often will wipe out the caching of the current "popular" program.

ddr 09-21-2012 06:54 AM

is there a need for having an additional ssd cache drive if my the os/program drive (ssd) is always roughly 50% full?

SkinnyPupp 09-21-2012 06:58 AM

For me if you have anything running off a mechanical HDD, you should cache it. Even a cheap 32GB.. go grab one for like $30 or $50 or whatever they are

G-spec 09-22-2012 09:57 PM

hey guys picked up a few things today, some proper ram for my motherboard as Belaud suggested, and also a slick bluetooth microsoft keyboard.... piece of shit Azio wireless was a piece of shit...

quick questions, I can't get into bios with this keyboard unlike my old wireless, I guess the bluetooth doesn't kick in until Windows loads ?? what are my options how do I get in bios with this keyboard ?
also just installed quad channel 32gb of ram and soon as windows boots up if I open up task manager it's using almost 3gb of ram already, but with the memory i just took out 8gb dual channel same thing would be 1.5 gb on windows start... no new programs are starting, everything is exactly the same except the double the usage, is this normal ?

and what am I doing wrong with this bluetooth and wireless bullshit ?
I don't want to be using usb extensions bring the adapters closer to me by the couch in the middle of the living room for neither my keyboard or mouse, but I'm forced too because of the lag that exists when I plug it further away into the back of my mobo... but the kicker is, the difference in distance is only a few fuckin feet, why is there noticeable lag with only a few extra feet ??

lilaznviper 09-23-2012 12:00 PM

The more ram you have, windows will just preload more stuff into memory for faster access although at 3gb usage, there is probably a lot of programs starting up in the background. run>msconfig and and you can stop some from loading but with 32gb of ram who cares. I have 32gb of ram as well and at startup im around 3gb since I have a ton of crap loading up.

I have the same problem with my bluetooth keyboard and can't get into bios but i can get into bios when using the included bluetooth dongle that came with my keyboard and not using the built-in one on my motherboard. I have a logitech keyboard.

Your better off with a wireless keyboard for what you are doing because wireless has a longer range. I used a microsoft 5000 keyboard mouse combo and it works great at long range with no lag issues.

G-spec 09-23-2012 10:32 PM

^ cool thanks for info, yea I keep my startup items proper using Ccleaner... and i'll keep the piece of shit azio wireless for times i need to get into bios

having issues with my intel SSD now... jsut started today, all of the sudden I lost 40gigs over night... so today did a fresh install of windows 7 and from 180gb, I had 100gb free on a fresh install... i go into drive c and all total folders are like 16gb...

so been googling like crazy last 2 hours fixing stuff, turning off hibernation, etc, did everything listed here SSD Optimization Tweaks to Increase SSD Performance and I'm still sittin at 122gb of free space, when I should really have something like 160gb

!MiKrofT 09-23-2012 10:54 PM

It's probably your swapfile/paging file. Check to see how large it is.

Razor Ramon HG 09-23-2012 11:32 PM

I'm looking to expand the storage on my Macbook Air.

Would you guys recommend using something like a 64GB SDHC or a USB 3.0 external hard drive? The no-brainer option would be the external hard drive, but if I get an SD card then I can take it with me no matter where I go.

Ronin 09-24-2012 12:49 AM

Why not get both? Seems to me they serve different purposes.

There's a microSD card on Kickstarter for specifically this purpose...fits flush with the slot. Forget what it's called.

!MiKrofT 09-24-2012 01:15 AM

This is what I'm ordering for my zenbook. Dunno if the kickstarter one is the same or not. I couldn't find it.

http://www.amazon.com/elago-Mobile-microSDHC-Memory-Reader/dp/B002HGFKR8/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Razor Ramon HG 09-24-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8037578)
Why not get both? Seems to me they serve different purposes.

There's a microSD card on Kickstarter for specifically this purpose...fits flush with the slot. Forget what it's called.

Yeah, the Nifty MiniDrive, but it's not coming out until later this year. Have been debating it the last couple of weeks, but it seems like the adapter is going to cost around $30. Way too much IMO.

G-spec 09-24-2012 09:27 AM

thanks Mikroft that actually did the trick, I have normal remaining space showing now, it's all good.

lilaznviper 09-25-2012 10:34 AM

not sure if this is a huge deal but it is good at the price
Intel 330 SSD 240GB $159 for today only. less than a dollar a gig
Intel SSD 330 Series SATA III Solid State Drive Kit, 240GB at Memory Express

Cman333 09-25-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8035550)
For me if you have anything running off a mechanical HDD, you should cache it. Even a cheap 32GB.. go grab one for like $30 or $50 or whatever they are

Isn't there only a specific few brands/models that can be used?

!MiKrofT 09-25-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 8038822)
not sure if this is a huge deal but it is good at the price
Intel 330 SSD 240GB $159 for today only. less than a dollar a gig
Intel SSD 330 Series SATA III Solid State Drive Kit, 240GB at Memory Express

OCZ Agility 3 240GB. Works out much cheaper than the Intel one and it's shipped to your door. Could also price match at ME. Last day for rebate is today.

Newegg.ca - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Traum 09-25-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !MiKrofT (Post 8038888)
OCZ Agility 3 240GB. Works out much cheaper than the Intel one and it's shipped to your door. Could also price match at ME. Last day for rebate is today.

Newegg.ca - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

OCZ is no Intel though, and their reliability track record is spotty, to put it mildly. Mind you, their latest (Agility / Vertex 4) drives seem to be significantly more reliable than before, but they are still not without flaws. Intel, on the other hand, is practically the most reliable SSD option out there, and hence their generally higher prices.

Additionally, I am fairly sure the Agility 3 is slower than the Intel 330. Then again, all SSD seem super fast compared to your regular spindle-platter HDD.