REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Wall Street Protests (https://www.revscene.net/forums/654395-wall-street-protests.html)

Culverin 09-27-2011 12:01 AM

Wall Street Protests

We've finally gotten some decent main stream coverage.

In a nut shell, people are gathering on Wall Street in peaceful protest and have been roughed up by the cops. We're a couple days into this already.

A lot of the police brutality in the states is finally come to light because of technology and how everybody is now packing a video camera on their phone.
Various Police Departments had a real issue with this and tried to shut it down aligning it with wire-tapping laws. However, it is now treated in American Law that everybody can be considered media due to tech like youtube and blogging and has a right to tape.

Has Canada figured out it's stance on it yet?

StylinRed 09-27-2011 12:46 AM

that's what happens when you give the police, security, customs officers etc free reign after 9/11

$_$ 09-27-2011 01:16 AM

Such truth.

will068 09-27-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7592378)
that's what happens when you give the police, security, customs officers etc free reign after 9/11

The PD probably has direct instructions from City Hall to have free reign on the protesters @ Wall Street. Money talks. Period.

It doesn't help that Bloomberg is the Mayor.

Death2Theft 09-27-2011 05:51 AM

The wall street crooks are sipping champange watching people out there protesting

Redlines_Daily 09-27-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 7592400)
The PD probably has direct instructions from City Hall to have free reign on the protesters @ Wall Street. Money talks. Period.

It doesn't help that Bloomberg is the Mayor.

But this is not an isolated incident, this happens every day in every city. Robert Dziekanski at YVR for example. I respect the difficult job the police officers have, many are great cops but some of them routinely abuse their authority and give the rest of the force a bad name. These kind of cops need to be fired immediately and banned from applying at any PD in the country.

tool001 09-27-2011 08:58 AM

american politics = :fuckthatshit:

because vaste majority of people = :fulloffuck:

think its time for North Americans to hold government accountable & stop filling pockets of bankers, good for them, and good that they caught this and is on a branded channel

gdoh 09-27-2011 09:00 AM

its more than a couple of days into the protest it actually started on Sept 17 and its #opwallstreet https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheAn...94464753933126

its spreading to LA, Chicago, Montreal

murd0c 09-27-2011 09:01 AM

Plain and simple we no longer have freedom of speech. We are only allowed to say what the MAN wants us to say and see.

StylinRed 09-27-2011 09:04 AM

and people here don't riot/ mass protest

they think its retarded and so nothing happens they continue to lose freedoms

look @ the 'old world' mass protests/riots happen all the time and over things that may even seem ridiculous to us

unit 09-27-2011 09:24 AM

drives me insane that the police do their own internal investigations.

The_AK 09-27-2011 10:37 AM

you guys know the umbrellas are a fire hazard?

:troll: police

StaxBundlez 09-27-2011 08:28 PM

that...fucking sucked..

GabAlmighty 09-27-2011 09:56 PM

Couldn't even watch the whole thing, just got too pissed off. Can't wait for shit to hit the fan.

PiuYi 09-27-2011 11:38 PM

that lawrence o'donnell guy pisses me off, what the fuck man just present the facts, don't try to sell the story so hard

feels like he's trying to sell police brutality to you when really he could have just presented the facts, unbiased

ex. "everyone of those police officers in the video have gotten away with breaking the law off camera"

really?? based on what? don't add your own little spiel to the story

gdoh 09-28-2011 06:16 AM

globalrevolution - live streaming video powered by Livestream

they have had people like immortal technique, michael moore, susan surandon and others showing their support

edit: i think they were beating these people because the protestors were getting no media attention at all i think this msnbc was the first real source of media attention

mr_chin 09-28-2011 12:09 PM

This is why i love canada, we're problem free.

RTS 09-28-2011 12:16 PM

So basically a bunch of idiots are trying to shut down markets without which modern society could not function.

These anarchists should be rounded up and deported to Somalia. If they want to live without a functioning government they should love it there.

GLOW 09-28-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7592540)
Plain and simple we no longer have freedom of speech. We are only allowed to say what the MAN wants us to say and see.

wait we talking about the US or china?
:troll:

on a serious note, for some reason the phrase "let them eat cake" comes to mind when i see this happening on wallstreet

mr_chin 09-28-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTS (Post 7594023)
So basically a bunch of idiots are trying to shut down markets without which modern society could not function.

These anarchists should be rounded up and deported to Somalia. If they want to live without a functioning government they should love it there.

It's more to it than that.

I don't think they want to shut down the market. They want something to govern the policies of financial institutions, loaners, etc.

As we get closer to the predicted date of 2012, it seems the world is crashing. Yes people will laugh at the 2012 thing, but I believe there will be something happening, be it nature or economic crisis, or both.

Just imagine, we have one whole year to go through, and things like these will progress. When people have no food to feed themselves and their children, they will fight for it.

iEatClams 10-01-2011 09:43 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/01/busine...sts/index.html

i think its finally growing some steam - apparently the crowds are getting bigger and bigger

I love this comment tho:

When young Arabs protest their oppressive power structures, they are hailed by Western governments as a prodemocracy Arab Spring. When British and American youth protest their oppressive power structures, Western governments declare them hooligans and trouble makers.

shawnly1000 10-01-2011 09:47 PM

Ya it's definitely gained some steam, they're now getting support from the transit union

Occupy Wall Street gets union support - UPI.com

SFUguy 10-01-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7592540)

we? canada is not america.

Culverin 10-01-2011 10:21 PM

Well this explains a lot.

http://i.imgur.com/D9VI0.png

And no, it's not a photoshopped photo.
Proof:
Scene Last Night: Ron Perelman, Ray Kelly, Jon Bon Jovi, NYPD - Bloomberg
New York City Police Foundation

Death2Theft 10-01-2011 10:22 PM

With every bailout more freedoms are being lost. The need for a bailout shows that freedom doesn't work and people can't manage themselves. Therefore big brother needs to tell everyone what to do.