REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

anybody have cctv in their homes?

planning to setup a cctv system.

was wondering if anyone used megapixel cameras.

also what are some good quality analog cameras?
Advertisement
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I do. I have one front camera and one rear camera hooked up to a switch, fed into one of my TV's. Honestly, it's useless. It records onto VHS and it's a PITA because everyday you gotta rewind the tape or put in a new one. I got my cameras from the Spy store on kingsway near metro across from the safeway, lol. They were ~$100 each.

In retrospect I really wish I got wireless wifi cameras (they hook up to your router, and you can view them from your iphone/android) and they have tilt/pan functionality. If i was you I'd get wifi cameras with tilt/pan off amazon.com. They come with software that lets you set up recording on a computer + you can view them remotely. That's what I wish I got

As far as installing them goes, unless you like to go into your attic it's a pain. I was walking around on the trusses for a good hour trying to fish the lines into place.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I bought the $299 Swann DVR system at costco.
Comes with 4 Cameras.

Works great, can access from iphone and the internet worldwide.
bonus: costco refund policy!
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
We bought a lorex one from Costco for around $500, it has 4 colour cameras and a 500GB harddrive that records and can play back etc. You can also view the cameras from your phone, and at an internet connection worldwide. They are pretty good quality and this system comes with a monitor included in the package.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I've used MP cameras from Arecont, AXIS, Sony, IQinvison and Honeywell. All of those manufacturers have good product lines with a good range of cameras. MP cameras are only good if you are using a head-end that's compatible (ie. an NVR or Hybrid DVR).

For analog cameras, the most important specs are the sensor and how many lines of resolution there are. Be careful with the "cheaper" Day/Night IR cameras though. Most often these are not "true day night" meaning that you may experience images that are off-color.

It all comes down to what you require. I've captured a shooting in the middle of the night with a $29 camera and that evidence held up in court.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
I do. I have one front camera and one rear camera hooked up to a switch, fed into one of my TV's. Honestly, it's useless. It records onto VHS and it's a PITA because everyday you gotta rewind the tape or put in a new one. I got my cameras from the Spy store on kingsway near metro across from the safeway, lol. They were ~$100 each.

In retrospect I really wish I got wireless wifi cameras (they hook up to your router, and you can view them from your iphone/android) and they have tilt/pan functionality. If i was you I'd get wifi cameras with tilt/pan off amazon.com. They come with software that lets you set up recording on a computer + you can view them remotely. That's what I wish I got

As far as installing them goes, unless you like to go into your attic it's a pain. I was walking around on the trusses for a good hour trying to fish the lines into place.
wow vcr's are the good old days.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu81 View Post
I've used MP cameras from Arecont, AXIS, Sony, IQinvison and Honeywell. All of those manufacturers have good product lines with a good range of cameras. MP cameras are only good if you are using a head-end that's compatible (ie. an NVR or Hybrid DVR).

For analog cameras, the most important specs are the sensor and how many lines of resolution there are. Be careful with the "cheaper" Day/Night IR cameras though. Most often these are not "true day night" meaning that you may experience images that are off-color.

It all comes down to what you require. I've captured a shooting in the middle of the night with a $29 camera and that evidence held up in court.
what about frame rate?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

This would normally be set along with the compression ratio / resolution, determined by the required hard disk recycle time. For home setups I wouldn't go lower than 5 IPS per camera. If you find that you are exceeding your required hard disk recycle time then you have the option of increasing the record rate and/or lowering the compression/resolution.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
If anyone here is in the know on this stuff:

I would like to have a minimum 2 cam, possibly 3 cam interior system to monitor the access points to my building.

Obviously don't want a tape system. I don't want to have to put in an internet access point either, because at some point, I'm not going to be here. Besides, my internet is on the 4th floor, and the access is on the 1st.

Is there a system that would be wireless, non-internet enabled and have a record history of a minimum of 12 hours?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You can try these guys in Richmond, I haven't been there for a long time but they seem reasonable.

Jetview Electronics Ltd.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
If anyone here is in the know on this stuff:

I would like to have a minimum 2 cam, possibly 3 cam interior system to monitor the access points to my building.

Obviously don't want a tape system. I don't want to have to put in an internet access point either, because at some point, I'm not going to be here. Besides, my internet is on the 4th floor, and the access is on the 1st.

Is there a system that would be wireless, non-internet enabled and have a record history of a minimum of 12 hours?
Costco - Lorex® 4-channel ECO DVR with 13.3-in. LED Monitor

This system has 2 cams a monitor and a 500GB harddrive that will recycle over the old footage, This will usually last you a week im guessing before it recycles over the old video) you have the option of saving footage. No internet access is required for it to work, but there is the option of having internet and being able to view the cams from your phone and/or computer worldwide...If u need more cams you have the option of adding 2 more later on
-regarding the wireless cams, I doubt there is anything out there that is affordable and will give u decent picture quality...

edit this one might be a better buy, 2 more cams for 50 $ and can add 4 more at a later date
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....20101*&topnav=

also both these systems have infrared technology so u can see at night

Last edited by ruthless; 10-17-2011 at 09:59 PM.
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
Costco - Lorex® 4-channel ECO DVR with 13.3-in. LED Monitor

This system has 2 cams a monitor and a 500GB harddrive that will recycle over the old footage, This will usually last you a week im guessing before it recycles over the old video) you have the option of saving footage. No internet access is required for it to work, but there is the option of having internet and being able to view the cams from your phone and/or computer worldwide...If u need more cams you have the option of adding 2 more later on
-regarding the wireless cams, I doubt there is anything out there that is affordable and will give u decent picture quality...

edit this one might be a better buy, 2 more cams for 50 $ and can add 4 more at a later date
Costco - Lorex® 8-channel ECO DVR with 13.3-in. LED Monitor

also both these systems have infrared technology so u can see at night
These systems are also junk, worse than toys.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/65633...ml#post7669913

Here's a still shot from a 1.3MP IQEye camera watching the end of my street (click for full-size):

And one set up to record plates:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
There are very few setups that REQUIRE an internet connection (just a few low-grade IP cameras that record to an online service). HAVING an internet-enabled system is never a drawback.

Meantime, avoid wireless cameras - they tend to be limited range for line-of-sight and almost no range if you put a wall in the way. Wireless should be reserved only for no-other-option scenarios, and even then it should be systems designed specifically for the purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^how much do you think someone needs to spend on parts alone to put up a decent, say two camera (front and back of house) surveillance system?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ imo the price will be

150-200 per camera
400 for dvr
200 for monitor

+ labour for wiring

about $2500-$3000