REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 09-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Working and studying

How many of you guys work while you study? If you do, what job do you do and how many hours do you work? How do you prioritize your time during exam time? I work parttime at a drugstore and it seems as if I have no social life because I'm always busy studying or working
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I have a brother and cousin in the same situation. The way i see them handle it : they have at least one day in the week they don't work or study. Usually that ends up being a saturday or sunday, sometimes Friday nights. When they're out Friday night, they study the next day, and work the day after.
TBH though, its okay to put work on a low priority. School is your main goal, and if you feel like life sucks because work is taking up some time, how are you going to get the motivation to keep studying? You work to make money ; you gotta find some time to use that money for yourself, for some refreshments and a night out. Just gotta find a balance, but dont let the fun take over and mess with your studies. Work has its time, studying has its time, and so does fun.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
How I Mod your mother

^Agreed, I dont know anyone that can study non-stop. Everyone needs to get out and relax once in a while
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Hopeless Romantic

I work 50ish hours a week while FT school. I've worked full time since I was in grade 10 or so and it's pretty routine at this point to be honest. Currently my schedule consists of work mon/weds/fri/sat/sun and school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It really takes a lot of commitment to both work and school and a fair amount of time management if you want to juggle a social life. My shifts are early (7-4) and working downtown and living in surrey means I have to wake up around 5-5:30 am. I find on average I get around 4 hours of sleep, which is also routine at this point.

I try to manage the girl I'm seeing in the evenings while finding time for the gym and studies or errands. It's really hard to find a balance, but once you've got a schedule if you're okay with routine then it's not that bad.
Posted via RS Mobile
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Holy shit, you guys are machines....but wait u only doin twO days of school so that's different.,, I go to ubc and I go to skool mon-fri and I commute their which takes 3 hours there and back daily.
Posted via RS Mobile
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

I tried to do school and work. It wasn't for me.

I had to choose one or the other. Eventually I was lucky enough to do both one at a time.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
You need to balance. Too much work and you'd be too tired to turn the pages of the textbook. I go out Friday night and occasionally have the whole Saturday for trips and such.

If you work, you better not procrastinate because that's setting sail for fail. Don't skip classes, pay attention in classes an there won't be much material to study come exam time. Also one of the most important thing is keep yourself in shape.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

I work 28ish hours a week and i school full time. My courses are at night so i usually got to class after work. The days i don't work i study till class starts.

For you to work and study, i think a flexible schedule and a good employer that understands your needs goes a long way.

I also agree with what some other people say. Work is just that; work. If it is not your career then maybe its time to work fewer hours.

Do what you think is a good balance between work/school/social life. One will always get the shaft but do what you can.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Hopeless Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Holy shit, you guys are machines....but wait u only doin twO days of school so that's different.,, I go to ubc and I go to skool mon-fri and I commute their which takes 3 hours there and back daily.
Posted via RS Mobile
Part of that is being able to "effectively" plan your courses... For the last 4 semesters now i've been able to take 4 courses over the span of 2 days. Granted, they're fucking LONG days.

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
tried working ft and going to school this semester. basically work 7 days a week, and school was mtwt fridays off. some classes ended at 10 and the other ones ended no later than 1250 then headed straight to work. work until 8-9pm everyday. had no time to study because if i took a day off work, i'd be real behind at work. and when i get home at 930 or so, am just too tired to be studying.
so i had to drop courses and work this semester and have enough cash to not work at all next semester.
i handled 20-30 hours of work and ft school no problem though.
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,068 Times in 358 Posts
i do school mon-weds, work thurs-sat. go out sat night and sunday. everything in between is school work. holding up pretty well so far this semester.

work is ~16-20hrs a week
roflwaffle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
worked pt since I was 16 . so thats highschool. after that worked about 25hrs for most part of university , then worked ft.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #13

My goodness jtanner_, you just might be fucking with your health with the long days and lack of sleep. I applaud you, really, freaking dedication and commitment, persistent, and all of that other shit.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I go to school full time and work for 12-16hrs/wk and find that manageable. That many hours does not affect my grades but if I work 20hrs or more then it definitely will. You just need to balance it out.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I used to work+school in university for about 5 years, full course load and 20-30 hours of work a week. I was a teller so the job was quite brainless and not physically demanding. It was quite enjoyable. It really depends what stage of life you are in at that moment. If you are an university student, obviously it's school first, work second.

Switch it around. Now that I have graduated and work full time, where I have to use my brain to read and write everyday in the office, I think it will be really hard for me to concentrate on school material after an exhausting day of work.

This is why I think the CASB program could be tough. I see people work 8-5 everyday and still have to do homework after work. Every few months there would be module exams. To me, that's a new level of toughness when it's work first, school second. If you fail a particular course or exam, it reflects negatively on your professional abilities.

I am not an accountant but many people I know are accountants.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,017 Posts
+1 about finding an employer that understands.

I've been doing around 30hrs a week on top of a 4 course 13-15 credit load for the last 2 years. Sometimes its not pretty especially when I procrastinate (like right now, I have an essay and some Econ assignments due and I am on RS).

It all started out as a part time job a few years ago for 2 days a week then my manager wanted more hours. Then more hours.... Then 3rd and 4th year courses came along. Somewhere along the line I made enough to pay tuition for one semester, since I made so much I was rejected for loans therefore I ended up working more to pay for school, food, social life, and the car. Right now its 4 days school, 4 days work a week for me. Yeah it overlaps a bit, has been worse before. When exams come around I get my days off to study and day off for actual exam. Manager is nice enough to always give the day before an exam off, more if I request for it.

Social life is pretty much gone. I have time for either school, work, or girlfriend. If I wanted to hang out with friends it would be way after hours. Well, I would have a social life if I didn't have a girlfriend, kinda had to pick one or another since I didn't have enough time for both.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
This is why I think the CASB program could be tough. I see people work 8-5 everyday and still have to do homework after work. Every few months there would be module exams. To me, that's a new level of toughness when it's work first, school second. If you fail a particular course or exam, it reflects negatively on your professional abilities.

I am not an accountant but many people I know are accountants.
I start this lifestyle on October 17.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
lol holy shit at jtanner's 50 hours of work while full-time studies
those 4 hour sleep and 18 hour days are only possible because we are still young eh

I'm roughly 30+ hours school/15-20 hours of work
I try my best to study on a weekly basis...not working so well just yet this year
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
work 2 jobs ~40 hours a week (hooray for 12 hour friday sat sundays) and go to school full time. There are lots of guys that do what me and jtanner do, its just that most people on this site are spoiled asian kids.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #20

^ , maybe i am getting to that..
Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Work Monday-Saturday 5pm-9pm
School Monday-Thursday from 9am-4pm

Definitely manageable. Though I do plan on easing off the job really soon.
areyounoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post
I work 50ish hours a week while FT school. I've worked full time since I was in grade 10 or so and it's pretty routine at this point to be honest. Currently my schedule consists of work mon/weds/fri/sat/sun and school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It really takes a lot of commitment to both work and school and a fair amount of time management if you want to juggle a social life. My shifts are early (7-4) and working downtown and living in surrey means I have to wake up around 5-5:30 am. I find on average I get around 4 hours of sleep, which is also routine at this point.

I try to manage the girl I'm seeing in the evenings while finding time for the gym and studies or errands. It's really hard to find a balance, but once you've got a schedule if you're okay with routine then it's not that bad.
Posted via RS Mobile
HOLY thats impressive. To be honest I want something along the lines of what you have. ~ Not to the extreme of working 50 hrs a week though.

I am currently trying to balance things right now. But hopefully something like yours soon minus the extreme hrs
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #23

Just watched the movie "The Mechanic."

One of the points/quote i got from the movie : Victory Loves Preperation

Figured its relative, because fitting in such a busy life, like jtanner and many others, you must prepare, plan, and things will roll a lot smoother.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #24
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
lol @ the fail. Admit it, this site has the most laziest, spoonfed asian kids ever. They expect everything done from them and have probably never worked a day in there life.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
work 2 jobs ~40 hours a week (hooray for 12 hour friday sat sundays) and go to school full time. There are lots of guys that do what me and jtanner do, its just that most people on this site are spoiled asian kids.
I applaud you for your hard work and dedication. But just because someone who doesn't works F/T and studies F/T at the same time and sleep less than 5 hours each day doesn't mean they are spoiled...

I forgot where I read the article but I think over 10 hours work/week has a positive correlation with poorer grades. Also, full-time studies can really range from someone who's taking 3-4 classes that require them to write few papers each term then to say an engineering student who normally has to juggle 6 courses each term.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote