REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Help needed for car accident - ICBC tips?

Hey everyone, help me out here.

I got into a car accident today where I was changing into the right lane and the guy behind hit the right side of my bumper. This was before an intersection and the light was red. The left side of his front bumper is scratched but there are no dents. It seems like it can be fixed with a paint job. My car barely scratched and again, nothing a paint job wouldn't fix.

Now how should I be going about to do this? The phone number he gave me doesn't work and I wanted to contact him to negotiate. I was thinking of asking if would want to go to a paint shop with me for price estimates but since the number don't work, that's out of the question. He was very angry when he was talking to me but I calmed him down and he said he was going to claim at ICBC.

A few years ago, my friend was driving and the guy in front of him hit his brakes very hard and stopped suddenly. She hit the back of his car but there were only two little dents from the license plate. She claimed, three weeks later, the other guy claims and ICBC sends her a bill of $4000. She asked why it was so expensive and apparently, the guy bsed and said he had headaches and had to miss work, a whole lot of fucking bullshit.

I don't want this to happen to me and get fucked over. Give me your ideas, thanks everyone.
Advertisement
j513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j513 View Post
Now how should I be going about to do this? The phone number he gave me doesn't work and I wanted to contact him to negotiate. I was thinking of asking if would want to go to a paint shop with me for price estimates but since the number don't work, that's out of the question. He was very angry when he was talking to me but I calmed him down and he said he was going to claim at ICBC.
You need to call ICBC's Dial-A-Claim line or you can report the incident online. You must, by law, report the accident to ICBC. Start there first and work with your adjuster/rep on what your options are in regards to settling the matter privately or through ICBC.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Phone icbc and report it. Sounds like it's your fault so just gotta deal with it and hope for the best. Did your friend not have collision insurance or something?
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by bluejays; 10-02-2011 at 05:39 PM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Report it to ICBC.

QUESTION: What do you hope to gain by dealing with this privately?

ANSWER: You gain nothing.

If you want you can reimburse ICBC for your claim, essentially making it like it never happened. Your choice. At least by reporting it you will have a choice in how to proceed.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
Report it to ICBC.

QUESTION: What do you hope to gain by dealing with this privately?

ANSWER: You gain nothing.

If you want you can reimburse ICBC for your claim, essentially making it like it never happened. Your choice. At least by reporting it you will have a choice in how to proceed.

I think theoretically it wouldn't be on your vehicle's accident record when you sell your car, if you don't report it? I wouldn't risk that though, all it takes is the other person secretly reporting it and you might get in all sorts of shit.

Anyway like the others said, after you report it to ICBC you're always given the choice to either pay for it out of pocket (no hit to insurance premiums), or let ICBC cover it (at the expense of your insurance premiums going up).

Edit: Lol TBH I didn't read your original post. Now that I read it, I guess your question is: "How can I avoid getting fucked over like my friend did?" The answer is: You can't. No matter how you do this, the other guy can make up anything he likes whether you guys settle this privately OR through ICBC. Except that if you settle it privately, he can STILL go to ICBC afterwards and screw you over 2x over haha. So just go through ICBC.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
I think theoretically it wouldn't be on your vehicle's accident record when you sell your car, if you don't report it? I wouldn't risk that though, all it takes is the other person secretly reporting it and you might get in all sorts of shit.

Anyway like the others said, after you report it to ICBC you're always given the choice to either pay for it out of pocket (no hit to insurance premiums), or let ICBC cover it (at the expense of your insurance premiums going up).

Edit: Lol TBH I didn't read your original post. Now that I read it, I guess your question is: "How can I avoid getting fucked over like my friend did?" The answer is: You can't. No matter how you do this, the other guy can make up anything he likes whether you guys settle this privately OR through ICBC. Except that if you settle it privately, he can STILL go to ICBC afterwards and screw you over 2x over haha. So just go through ICBC.
i doubt he can get screwed over 2x with receipts and paper proof when finishing repairs.
dignatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

this happened to me.

i would just report it.

you can tell icbc that you guys want to deal with it privately later on and both parties will decide on prices and icbc will be okay with it. You dont want to get fucked if you don't call it in and he does and get stuck trying to answer the " why didn't you report it in" question from icbc .it could be just 1 more thing they can use against you.

better safe then sorry.
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote