REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

Thanked 2,003 Times in 216 Posts
3-4Day trip... Banff, Sunshine Coast, Tofino or Ucleulet?

Wanted a 3-4 day romantic, relaxed trip with the missus sometime during the winter, Jan-Feb most likely. We won't be doing much physical outdoorish activities like surfing or long hikes. Probably just take in the sights, short walks, wine and good food. Which place would you recommend, and why? We haven't had the chance to go to any of these places before.
Advertisement
prelude_prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Surfing on a winter snowy day?
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Chateau Lake Louise
http://www.fairmont.com/lakelouise
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

jan-feb..... romantic with the woman stuff.... tofino rains in jan-feb. Only walking you will be doing if from the couch to the fridge for more beer. Not a bad thing but not exactly romantic (drunk sex is quite epic though).

I recommend banff, jasper, lake louise area. It will be snowing, cold (its winter) but a great place to take the missus. Doesnt rain (too cold so it snows) and nothing gets a wild night with the woman then a stunning hotel during stunning snowfall in the Canadian rockies.
Browny is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

^^ lol
Old 10-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browny View Post
jan-feb..... romantic with the woman stuff.... tofino rains in jan-feb. Only walking you will be doing if from the couch to the fridge for more beer. Not a bad thing but not exactly romantic (drunk sex is quite epic though).

I recommend banff, jasper, lake louise area. It will be snowing, cold (its winter) but a great place to take the missus. Doesnt rain (too cold so it snows) and nothing gets a wild night with the woman then a stunning hotel during stunning snowfall in the Canadian rockies.
Yup, been to banff jasper and lake louise. Absolute beauty there. Sit down, gazing over beautiful mountain and lake view in a cozy fairmont hotel = win .
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
for only 3-4 days....do you really want to go that far? (Banff, etc)

Galiano Island Resort is nice...

Or Whistler? I just got a great deal over xmas (23rd to 27th). 3 level townhouse in the village for $200/night. Fireplace, hottub, full kitchen, laundry, pool, etc....plus super close to good restaurants
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

tofino and ucluelet essentially is the same thing... just a half hr drive from each other.
if you choose that.. stay in ucluelet.. way cheaper. drive over to tofino
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
LYC
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoku View Post
Surfing on a winter snowy day?
Believe it or not but the surf is the best in the Northwest during the winter. Brings in the biggest swells.

I would agree that the Tofino is a pretty miserable place during the winter. The only people you'll see there are the surfers and the weird storm watcher people that stick to the big resorts.
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

thanks all!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
Tofino in the winter is pretty crazy for the storm watching season. The resorts along the beach are $$$$ but very nice.
I would almost rule out ucuelet. I did ucuelet one year with the lady and found we spent most of the time driving back and forth to tofino as there is literally nothing to do in ucuelet.
In Tofino there are a couple nice restaurants, sobo, shelter and a few others, but a lot of the shops shut down for the winter.
I would go for the rockies… save tofino for when the weather is better.
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #12

BUMP

i am driving to tofino at the end of this month for the first time, and want to know how are the roads to tofino? for those who drive, do you guys take the victoria-along the coast up? or get off at Nanaimo and drive over?
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
hell no dont go from victoria unless u wanna add another 2 hours to the drive..

the roads are nice they are updated please use designated areas to let people pass if you plan on driving slow.

i work in tofino and live in van so i make the trip twice a week to and from tof.

way easier if you go from departure bay nanaimo.
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me why it would take 4 hours to get there? and any places i should check out?

I know the coast up from victoria would be a nicer view, but 6 hours of driving is deadly lol
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
I don't get it

There's not really that much to see between Victoria and Nanaimo, so unless you want to go through Sooke, to Port Refrew, back to Duncan and then up island, I would go Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo. We're heading over there in a couple of weeks too so I'm interested in hearing of anything interesting to see.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #16

There is a zip line halfway between port alberni and tofino alwaysdrive by it but never had time to check it out. Other than that there's not much to check out till u hit tofino... Even at tofino there's not much to do but beaches and whale watching ( don't get suckered into that ) not that many whales around tofino this year.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
There's not really that much to see between Victoria and Nanaimo, so unless you want to go through Sooke, to Port Refrew, back to Duncan and then up island, I would go Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo. We're heading over there in a couple of weeks too so I'm interested in hearing of anything interesting to see.
if you dont mind me asking, where are you going to stay? I am having a hard time picking a place haha
Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
I don't get it

Damn! I was going to ask you the same thing. We're camping and found that the Parks Canada Long Beach Unit is plugged full. I'm going to be calling a couple of the other campsites and see what's available. Probably look at ones close to Tofino near the Chesterman or Mackenzie beaches.

Are you camping?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #19

not camping.

Just a little getaway with the gf for 2-3 nights.

Hopefully we both find a place to stay
Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboogz View Post
There is a zip line halfway between port alberni and tofino alwaysdrive by it but never had time to check it out. Other than that there's not much to check out till u hit tofino... Even at tofino there's not much to do but beaches and whale watching ( don't get suckered into that ) not that many whales around tofino this year.

What about goats on a roof, and cathedral grove? 2 places I think ever tourist should check out when going to Tofino.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #21

^ never heard of those things in the 5 years ive worked in tofino (crab fishermen)

i suggest going fishing its real fun.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboogz View Post
^ never heard of those things in the 5 years ive worked in tofino (crab fishermen)

i suggest going fishing its real fun.

Goats on a roof is in Coombs and is a big tourist area and cathedral grove is in MacMillan Provincial Park and has some massive tree's. Everyone on the island knows about it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #23
I don't get it

Just got back from Long Beach and checked out some of the beaches. Well worth the time, and did a lot of walking. It was really nice to get down to the beach early in morning before the crowds started showing up.

We did go through Cathedral Grove but were really disappointed by the tourists that were climbing over the fence to get their pictures taken on the tree stumps. The goats on the roof in Coombs were there but standing in the back so a little hard to see. Parking was horrendous.

Just a word of warning though for anyone thinking of going, the security guys do drive around to all the parking lots in the Federal Park checking that vehicles have the daily visitor permits on the dash. We watched them write several tickets.