REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Using Champix as a quit smoking aide (https://www.revscene.net/forums/655658-using-champix-quit-smoking-aide.html)

nabs 10-16-2011 10:51 PM

Using Champix as a quit smoking aide

Hey everyone, so I decided its time to quit smoking with all this government help through msp along with all the adverse health affects ive been experiencing lately.

Got a prescription for Champix from the doc but found out in order to get it covered by msp you have to call 811 and get approved first, but luckily it was covered by my extended medical so i got it for free anyways.

The starter pack comes with a two week supply and tells you how to take it, also tells you to set a quit date by the two week time, however you have to take it for the full 3 months. I set my quit date to day 11 which is October 26, the day after my birthday.

Everyone wish me luck, and I really hope this works, I have been smoking for over 10 years. I will try to update you guys daily about how it is working and what it feels like (side effects, cravings, etc.).

I just started this morning, took the first pill and i dont know if im feeling the placebo affect or the actual drug however right now I am not even having a craving for a smoke, I did smoke anyways ritualistically. The doctor said to try to cut down one smoke a day til i reach my set quit date.

Energy 10-17-2011 01:09 AM

Good luck getting over smoking. You'll be a better man in the end. Keep us updated!

saucywoman 10-23-2011 04:21 PM

I took this and it sucessfully helped me quit, although ive started again.
Warning that you are going to get very realistic vivid dreams and will prob be tired in the morn no matter how much sleep u get. Good luck :)
Posted via RS Mobile

604pt 10-23-2011 06:26 PM

good luck man, keep us updated!

spideyv2 10-23-2011 08:24 PM

My friend said this stuff made his genitilia grow (srs)
Posted via RS Mobile

N.V.M. 10-26-2011 06:10 AM

cool. i got my free supply. first few days is a bitch. and about the dreaming side effects, wow, very true!

http://members.shaw.ca/northvanmike/canal/patches.jpg

fetched 10-27-2011 10:59 PM

Keep us updated with your progress and if you experience any side effects!

lowda9 10-28-2011 02:13 AM

I'm on my 8th day right now on champix. This stuff actually works! No urge to smoke at all right now. It makes me very nauseous though, sometimes I actually feel like puking, and today at work I was really tired. Also I've noticed that I've been more calm and a friend pointed out that champix is actually an anti depressant too. Don't know if thats true.

SkinnyPupp 10-28-2011 08:12 AM

Good luck getting rid of that fucking disgusting habit. Everyone around you will like you more, trust me.

unit 10-28-2011 12:32 PM

smoking is nasty shit! i did it for years! quit cold turkey, it was the best thing ive ever done.
dont be a slave to your own habits.

N.V.M. 10-28-2011 01:40 PM

haha, i quit for 14 months , 3 years ago? i'm an extra stupid slave! :fullofwin:

i can't speak for the OP and Champix but the patch works if you understand the addiction. smoking is a nicotine addiction and an addiction of the need to puff on the cig, hold it in your hand, etc. the patch helps you beat the latter part, "it divides the enemy", so you can conquer 1/2 of it at time. the last part is the nicotine addiction itself , and by the time you reach the end of the 3 stage patch system, you should be nearly weaned off of it anyways.

saucywoman 10-31-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowda9 (Post 7632134)
I'm on my 8th day right now on champix. This stuff actually works! No urge to smoke at all right now. It makes me very nauseous though, sometimes I actually feel like puking, and today at work I was really tired. Also I've noticed that I've been more calm and a friend pointed out that champix is actually an anti depressant too. Don't know if thats true.

Oh yeah i completely forgot about the sickness, now we all have some idea of morning sickness of pregnant ppl :s lol
Posted via RS Mobile

MindBomber 10-31-2011 03:03 AM

I keep coming to this thread, reading the posts and reminding myself how badly I need to quit again. I quit two years ago, then a few dates with a girl who smokes and an exceedingly stressful few weeks, I couldn't resist buying just one pack. That was enough to get me completely hooked again.

I might give champix a shot if it's working well for all of you, I love the new government program.

R5x 11-24-2011 03:27 PM

Just wanted to write a quick note here for all of you that are interested in the government program for smoking cessation, since there's a bit of misinformation in this thread regarding which smoking cessation therapies are free. I'm a pharmacist so I get this asked a lot at work. Generally, there are 1) non-prescription therapies and 2) prescription therapies:

1) Non-prescription therapies: Nicotine replacement patches (Habitrol) and gum (Thrive) are FREE from the government for all residents of BC provided you have active MSP coverage AND if you call 8-1-1 beforehand and register yourself with the program. They give you a confirmation # and you just take that to a pharmacy and you get it for free (1 month at a time) up to a maximum 3 months supply/year. Every month you need to call in to 8-1-1 again and get a new #.

2) Prescription therapies: For Champix or Zyban, you do NOT need to call 8-1-1. You DO need a prescription from a doctor AND you need to be registered with Fair Pharmacare AND have active MSP coverage as well. Once you do all that, it may OR may not be free for one course of therapy (3 months), depending on your annual deductible from Fair Pharmacare. Again you need to pick it up one month at a time from a pharmacy. The smoking cessation program just makes Champix and Zyban "benefit items" for Fair Pharmacare so that they count towards your yearly prescription deductible (based on your yearly net income). If you don't have a deductible or if you already satisfied it for the year, then you can get Champix or Zyban for free. If not, then expect to pay ~$120/month for Champix, and ~$75/month for Zyban (unless you have an insurance plan from work or something).

Hope this helps anyone that's looking for some help with smoking cessation.