REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Using Champix as a quit smoking aide

Hey everyone, so I decided its time to quit smoking with all this government help through msp along with all the adverse health affects ive been experiencing lately.

Got a prescription for Champix from the doc but found out in order to get it covered by msp you have to call 811 and get approved first, but luckily it was covered by my extended medical so i got it for free anyways.

The starter pack comes with a two week supply and tells you how to take it, also tells you to set a quit date by the two week time, however you have to take it for the full 3 months. I set my quit date to day 11 which is October 26, the day after my birthday.

Everyone wish me luck, and I really hope this works, I have been smoking for over 10 years. I will try to update you guys daily about how it is working and what it feels like (side effects, cravings, etc.).

I just started this morning, took the first pill and i dont know if im feeling the placebo affect or the actual drug however right now I am not even having a craving for a smoke, I did smoke anyways ritualistically. The doctor said to try to cut down one smoke a day til i reach my set quit date.

[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Good luck getting over smoking. You'll be a better man in the end. Keep us updated!
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
VLS Head Mod

I took this and it sucessfully helped me quit, although ive started again.
Warning that you are going to get very realistic vivid dreams and will prob be tired in the morn no matter how much sleep u get. Good luck
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

good luck man, keep us updated!
604pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
My friend said this stuff made his genitilia grow (srs)
Posted via RS Mobile
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,735 Times in 812 Posts
cool. i got my free supply. first few days is a bitch. and about the dreaming side effects, wow, very true!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Keep us updated with your progress and if you experience any side effects!
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm on my 8th day right now on champix. This stuff actually works! No urge to smoke at all right now. It makes me very nauseous though, sometimes I actually feel like puking, and today at work I was really tired. Also I've noticed that I've been more calm and a friend pointed out that champix is actually an anti depressant too. Don't know if thats true.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Good luck getting rid of that fucking disgusting habit. Everyone around you will like you more, trust me.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
smoking is nasty shit! i did it for years! quit cold turkey, it was the best thing ive ever done.
dont be a slave to your own habits.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,735 Times in 812 Posts
haha, i quit for 14 months , 3 years ago? i'm an extra stupid slave!

i can't speak for the OP and Champix but the patch works if you understand the addiction. smoking is a nicotine addiction and an addiction of the need to puff on the cig, hold it in your hand, etc. the patch helps you beat the latter part, "it divides the enemy", so you can conquer 1/2 of it at time. the last part is the nicotine addiction itself , and by the time you reach the end of the 3 stage patch system, you should be nearly weaned off of it anyways.

Last edited by N.V.M.; 10-28-2011 at 01:46 PM.
N.V.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:22 AM   #12
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowda9 View Post
I'm on my 8th day right now on champix. This stuff actually works! No urge to smoke at all right now. It makes me very nauseous though, sometimes I actually feel like puking, and today at work I was really tired. Also I've noticed that I've been more calm and a friend pointed out that champix is actually an anti depressant too. Don't know if thats true.
Oh yeah i completely forgot about the sickness, now we all have some idea of morning sickness of pregnant ppl :s lol
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #13
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I keep coming to this thread, reading the posts and reminding myself how badly I need to quit again. I quit two years ago, then a few dates with a girl who smokes and an exceedingly stressful few weeks, I couldn't resist buying just one pack. That was enough to get me completely hooked again.

I might give champix a shot if it's working well for all of you, I love the new government program.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
R5x
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Just wanted to write a quick note here for all of you that are interested in the government program for smoking cessation, since there's a bit of misinformation in this thread regarding which smoking cessation therapies are free. I'm a pharmacist so I get this asked a lot at work. Generally, there are 1) non-prescription therapies and 2) prescription therapies:

1) Non-prescription therapies: Nicotine replacement patches (Habitrol) and gum (Thrive) are FREE from the government for all residents of BC provided you have active MSP coverage AND if you call 8-1-1 beforehand and register yourself with the program. They give you a confirmation # and you just take that to a pharmacy and you get it for free (1 month at a time) up to a maximum 3 months supply/year. Every month you need to call in to 8-1-1 again and get a new #.

2) Prescription therapies: For Champix or Zyban, you do NOT need to call 8-1-1. You DO need a prescription from a doctor AND you need to be registered with Fair Pharmacare AND have active MSP coverage as well. Once you do all that, it may OR may not be free for one course of therapy (3 months), depending on your annual deductible from Fair Pharmacare. Again you need to pick it up one month at a time from a pharmacy. The smoking cessation program just makes Champix and Zyban "benefit items" for Fair Pharmacare so that they count towards your yearly prescription deductible (based on your yearly net income). If you don't have a deductible or if you already satisfied it for the year, then you can get Champix or Zyban for free. If not, then expect to pay ~$120/month for Champix, and ~$75/month for Zyban (unless you have an insurance plan from work or something).

Hope this helps anyone that's looking for some help with smoking cessation.

Last edited by R5x; 11-24-2011 at 03:35 PM.
R5x is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: