REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quick to make meals for work?

Basically, I'm gearing up to move out of my parent's house soon, and what I usually do for lunch is take last night's dinner leftovers that my mom cooked. What I noticed at my job is that most people will get fast food for lunch, and for me that's a really slippery slope (ie. more expensive than making my own meals). I just want to gauge what kind of quick, easy recipes RS'ers make since my work days are 9-6, and it's 7 by the time I get home, leaving little time for meal preparation.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Keep it simple.

Pasta/rice. Boiling water is all you need for the pasta, and a rice cooker for the rice.
Vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, potatoes). Stiry fry for vegetables, potatoes can be baked with olive oil drizzle and some salt.
Protein, whatever it may be, salt and pepper. I bake almost all my chicken.

You'll get sick of it after a while, but it's these baby steps that get you ready for more elaborate meals.

Oh, if you're short on time, just make like 5-6 of these on a Saturday afternoon. That's what I do, except I eat them after work when I come home. Takes maybe 1.5 hrs tops, washing included. Store in fridge in individual containers.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
"Entertainment" mod.

Rice is basically a given in my house, and that WILL carry over when I move out. Pasta is worth a try, it's just that a lot of the stuff I have now revolves around rice as the side.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Sandwiches. Wraps.
Get home @ seven? Lotsa of time left until the next time
You goTta start work again.
Posted via RS Mobile
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

crock pot ... start something before you leave... will be done when you get home. Plus there should be left overs for lunch
pintoBC_3sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
I dunno if you like tuna or not but these cans of flavoured tuna is delicous. Mix with light mayo and what ever herbs you like ( lemon pepper flavour is great with lemon zest and basil) put it in wraps, sandwiches or whatever. Its light and delicious ( coming from a guy that fucken hates fish). There also a great protein to go with rice or on top of salads.

donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
"Entertainment" mod.

^ Not a bad idea. I've eaten chicken salad with rice before LOL, so this with some mixed vegetables isn't a bad idea.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
nns pretty much summed it all up. Keep it simple/easy to prepare.

Pasta in bulk is easy to make--that goes for the sauce too. When I used to live alone, I would cook enough pasta for weeks and just keep it in the freezer in separate microwavable/freezable tupperware. That way, you're always good to go.

Sandwiches are always easy. Can't go wrong with bread. Buy some romaine hearts and some canned crab/tuna/chicken/turkey etc. and drizzle some mayo/spices for something fast and simple. I also add boiled eggs in my sandwich spreads. The same ingredients could easily be turned into an egg/potato mash salad.

Frozen veggies are pretty convenient, but having used to work in a produce department I'm just more used to having fresh veggies even if it means a little more washing/prep. And as an added bonus I'd even suggest try to stop by a produce store at least once a week for apples/oranges/bananas for the upcoming week. You'd only be saving (realistically) a couple bucks every week, but since you're moving out I'd assume every penny counts.

I used to live with a bodybuilder and he'd basically do the same thing as me but with cuts of protein. He'd marinate enough chicken breasts for maybe 2-4 days in advance, and just take a slab out and put it in the George Foreman or the mini oven.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
I dunno if you like tuna or not but these cans of flavoured tuna is delicous. Mix with light mayo and what ever herbs you like ( lemon pepper flavour is great with lemon zest and basil) put it in wraps, sandwiches or whatever. Its light and delicious ( coming from a guy that fucken hates fish). There also a great protein to go with rice or on top of salads.

Although these cans of tuna are awesome, they can get pricey fast man.

I would just wait till there's a sale on plain ol' tuna for just under a dollar and buy those. I say toss the tuna with vegetables and flavour with seasoning
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Keep it simple.

Pasta/rice. Boiling water is all you need for the pasta, and a rice cooker for the rice.
Vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, potatoes). Stiry fry for vegetables, potatoes can be baked with olive oil drizzle and some salt.
Protein, whatever it may be, salt and pepper. I bake almost all my chicken.

You'll get sick of it after a while, but it's these baby steps that get you ready for more elaborate meals.

Oh, if you're short on time, just make like 5-6 of these on a Saturday afternoon. That's what I do, except I eat them after work when I come home. Takes maybe 1.5 hrs tops, washing included. Store in fridge in individual containers.
as a guy who lives by himself, im always trying to find convenient ways to make food, but eating the same thing for more than 4 consecutive meals gets real depressing.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
What's your cooking skills like? I've been on my out of my parent's place for about 5 years now. Really, the basic skills and prep doesn't change that much.

When I first moved out, I did some simple 1 pot recipes and some really idiot proof things.

tuna salad (mayo, tuna, celery, onions, salt, pepper). You can either eat as a snack with crackers. Or throw it on bread and toast with cheese for tuna melt.

I would also take chicken thighs (not drumsticks), salt, pepper and random sauces and bake for about 25 minutes. In that time, blanch veggies, eat with rice.

Something a bit more complicated is short rib stew.
Brown off the meat, set aside.
Throw in some chopped up celery, carrots and onions, soften just a bit.
throw in garlic, bay leaf and tomatoes (canned are fine). Bring to a boil, throw meat back in.
Leave it simmering for 2-3 hours.
You can freeze this in single meal size portions, defrost 1 when you feel lazy in the coming weeks.

Let me know if you get stuck on ideas or you think your food tastes bad. Some things are pretty easy to learn once you ask.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

Make enough dinner for your lunch the next day
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
^if he's living alone, and working nine-to-fives, it may not be conventional to cook extra food just so he could bring it for lunch, particularly if he's like me, and can't stand having the same thing two meals straight (one of the reasons I moved back home. The other? Laundry.)
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Just because you pre-make your meals, that doesn't mean you have to eat the same recipe every time. Each meal can have a different vegetable, carb, protein. Rice, broccoli, chicken; pasta, zucchini, fish; etc.

BTW, here's a really good tip: buy pre-marinated chicken. There's this place on Fraser St, Fraser Meat Shop I think it's called. Pre-marinated chicken and fish there, ready to cook. Different marinates available.

Once you start making your own meals and buying your own food, you'll realize how much of a freaking rip it is to eat out. Seriously, I can buy $20 worth of chicken, and have it last like 8 meals, vs going to AYCE once.

Last edited by nns; 10-18-2011 at 07:12 AM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #15
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
as a guy who lives by himself, im always trying to find convenient ways to make food, but eating the same thing for more than 4 consecutive meals gets real depressing.
This is why I asked for recipe ideas. I can't stand eating the same thing more than a couple of times in a row.

In terms of cooking skill, I have a basic grasp of stove cooking. I can get by making that stew Culverin mentioned, and I can get by on oyakodon, but anything else, and it's (namely, I burn the shit out of the outside of a piece of meat and find out it's raw).
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #16
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Ok, that's a good start.

Get a decent knife when you get a chance. You're going to hate making dinner if your using a cheap knife. That's what I did when I first moved out. Spent a bunch of money on upgrading my computer and saved up more than I really needed to. Just spend the $100 on a decent knife like this:
GLOBAL Yoshikin 8" Chef Knife (G-2) & 5" Utility Knife (GS-3) STAINLESS STEEL | eBay

Getting a crown of broccoli is one of my favorite fall backs. It's quick and easy to wash and break down. And then there are billion different ways of eating it. Balsamic, steak salt, butter sauce, oyster sauce, salt + sesame oil... the list goes on and on.
Also, by getting a full crown for dinner will make sure you're getting enough veg in your system. That and it's loaded with anti-oxidants.

Building on what nns said, there are some places that are really cheap for good produce and meats. Not sure how it is like out in Surrey, but the smaller asian produce markets in Vancouver/Burnaby like Chong Lee, Triple A, Red Apple and Supermarket 88 have some pretty fresh meats and veg. The meat has a much higher turnover than at a place like Safeway, it's much fresher. Much cheaper too. It's pretty much a win-win buying from those places. Not only will buying your food there save you money, you'll also find crazy deals like an awesome steak for $4.50. Just think about it, veg for $1. Add in your rice or potatoes. And you've got a steak dinner for $6. Cheaper than a big mac meal.

Just remember that there are things you can make in batches and store for when you get lazy. Quinoa can be made then fridged all week long so you don't have to boil rice or pasta every meal. I already mentioned stews, but sometimes, you can even do just part of your dish. Like slow cooking pork belly (a super cheap cut) and fridging it. Then you can get creative all week long. Slice it and sear it off with salt and pepper. Microwave it back up and toss it with your favorite hot sauces and top with something herby like cilantro.

Really, with a decent knife and if you're comfortable with stove top cooking, the world is your oyster.