REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Mounting Asymetrical Tires

How are asymmetrical tires mounted? The sidewalls have INSIDE and OUTSIDE written on them. Since they don't have dedicated left and right, wouldn't one side be mounted backwards if they are all mounted with sidewall facing OUTSIDE? Or it's meant to be like that?

Here's an image i just made.

Notice how the passenger side's half V helps dissipate water, but the driver side is drawing in water.
Did some research, some say it doesn't matter what the tread pattern looks like, as long as the sidewall where it says OUTSIDE is indeed, facing outside.

What do you guys think?? lol
Advertisement
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
G'd up! w000weee

The side labelled OUTSIDE means they have to be facing the outside of the vehicle after they've been mounted.
As your car moves forward, all the wheels spin a certain way. There's an arrow on the tires showing the direction of spin to help you figure this out.

The 2 tires on the left...are ALWAYS on the left.
The 2 tires on the right...are ALWAYS on the right.
When I had asymmetrical tires, my rear tires were always 1"+ wider because of staggered rims, so I couldn't do a rotation anyways.

I wont worry too much about the tread pattern. I'm pretty sure the designers have that figured out.

Last edited by mmmk; 10-18-2011 at 12:05 PM.
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I've always wondered about this too since I saw the vredestein ultrac sessanta ads
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
What tires are you looking at or are you asking in general?
Tires that are directional have tread patterns that benefit from going a certain direction.
Asymetrical tires generally have tread patterns that can run either directions but will have some difference in either the tire carcus or tread so that one side has to be run on the inside.

An example of this is the Falken Azenis RT-615's. They have the big blocky tread and supposedly stiffer sidewalls on the outside to improve cornering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmk View Post
The side labelled OUTSIDE means they have to be facing the outside of the vehicle after they've been mounted.
As your car moves forward, all the wheels spin a certain way. There's an arrow on the tires showing the direction of spin to help you figure this out.

The 2 tires on the left...are ALWAYS on the left.
The 2 tires on the right...are ALWAYS on the right.
When I had asymmetrical tires, my rear tires were always 1"+ wider because of staggered rims, so I couldn't do a rotation anyways.

I wont worry too much about the tread pattern. I'm pretty sure the designers have that figured out.
The tires i have are just asymmetrical, not directional. So yeah, i'd end up with a backwards half V on one side, unless i mount one side with "INSIDE" facing outside the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
What tires are you looking at or are you asking in general?
Tires that are directional have tread patterns that benefit from going a certain direction.
Asymetrical tires generally have tread patterns that can run either directions but will have some difference in either the tire carcus or tread so that one side has to be run on the inside.

An example of this is the Falken Azenis RT-615's. They have the big blocky tread and supposedly stiffer sidewalls on the outside to improve cornering.
They are winter tires, Goodride SW601 lol.

Guess i'll just mount them all with sidewall "OUTSIDE" facing outside regardless of how it looks like it will draw in water instead of dissipating it lol.

Someone's gonna be like "hahaha you mounted your tires backwards" and i'd be like "eff you, sidewall says outside nub" LOL
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyGreenTea View Post
The tires i have are just asymmetrical, not directional. So yeah, i'd end up with a backwards half V on one side, unless i mount one side with "INSIDE" facing outside the vehicle.

They are winter tires, Goodride SW601 lol.

Guess i'll just mount them all with sidewall "OUTSIDE" facing outside regardless of how it looks like it will draw in water instead of dissipating it lol.

Someone's gonna be like "hahaha you mounted your tires backwards" and i'd be like "eff you, sidewall says outside nub" LOL
The tire you are talking about is quite similar to my example about the Falkin Azenis RT-615's.

In your case, according to their description, the inside tread is designed to work really well in snow and icy conditions. The outside block design of the tread is probably designed to improve handling.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tread drawing in water because as you are rolling down the road, a certain point of the tire is only making contact with the road for a fraction of a second and even less if you are going faster. The key is to have enough grove for the water to dissapate at that instance instead of the tire sitting on top of the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote