REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Witness after crash, questions.

Had a crash on Barnet today. I was driving a family members van. After taking this slight turn I hit a rather large puddle of water on the road right after. The rear started to hydroplane, just as I let off the gas the car started to skid right towards the barrier. I was in the right lane. I tried to regain control but car ended up hitting a pole and spinning to a stop about 50 feet later. I was driving flow of traffic with a few cars. It was also pooring rain. Was doing something like 80/85km. Speed limit is 80km.

Two witnesses stayed behind till cops arrived from what I was told. One said "you were going a bit fast". Guy seemed like a douche he didn't ask even if I was alright, just ignored me. Why make the situation worst for me since it was a SELF accident, no others involved. Other just explained what he saw.

So because of what one guy said that speed COULD OF been a factor, would that really ruin my chances with this case? I told the real story of what happened to the paramedics on the scene, hospital, cop that came to the hospital, and when I called ICBC just a couple hours ago. Or would they say speed not safe for road conditions? I drive up and down barnet almost every day and experienced all weather conditions for the last few years.

I have an appointment with the claims adjuster later next week. I'm class 5 with about 15/20% discount. Is there any chance my rates won't be affected after the car is written off? or will they be :/ ...... and car is not getting repaired for sure. Just look at the pic.

I'm just looking for what I should expect. I never had previous accident in my years of driving so my record is clean. Will they take that into consideration? thanks..

Spoiler!
Advertisement

Last edited by 1exotic; 10-21-2011 at 10:05 PM.
1exotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
did you get any tickets from the cops?

they wouldn't really change what happens with icbc anyway, you write off a van, insurance goes up 6 steps (since youre less than 25%), depending whos insurance you want going up.

sucks man, I've been there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #3

No tickets from the cops.

I didn't speak with any cops on the scene. One came to visit me at the hospital to get the story.

insurance going up 6 step, exactly meaning how much?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Read this:
ICBC | The claim-rated scale

Then use this as reference:

ICBC | crs.pdf

Depending on where you are currently, you'll move a potential 6 steps. Although it is a write-off, I'm not sure you're automatically moving 6 steps. But if you're at 15% only, you're moving 6 steps. If you're at 20%, you'll move 5.

From 15% off you'll move to 30% surcharge
From 20% off you'll move to 10% surcharge

Glad you're alright though and everyone is safe.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

insurance will most likely go up 6 steps which would put you at +30%; not too bad, good to hear you're okay bro
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Hope you're okay, man.

When I was in an accident the other driver was driving extremely fast, far to fast for conditions (snow), I had a witness testify to that. It wasn't enough to sway the decision of ICBC though, because the witnesses estimation of speed was not reliable enough. Unless the jerk off witness is able to give a solid testimony, he was pacing you based on his own speedometer for example, I doubt it will have much effect. Especially if the other witness doesn't corroborate. That's just based on my experience.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Hyde's Understudy

since its a family members car, the insurance hit would go on the policy owner of the van no?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

if it's a self accident, icbc will deem it your fault 100%. They state that the driver must be in control 100% of the time. Which we all know is BS because in a moving vehicle, you are NEVER in control 100% of the time.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
if it's a self accident, icbc will deem it your fault 100%. They state that the driver must be in control 100% of the time. Which we all know is BS because in a moving vehicle, you are NEVER in control 100% of the time.
incorrect.

Depending on the conditions sometimes icbc will rule no fault, but rain probably isn't enough for that.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Premiums definitely going to go up, especially since its a write-off, ICBC is going to get their money back one way or another. And the surcharge will be applied to you, and your license, not the vehicle or family member. Also the surcharge levels can vary I was at -10% discount and went up to +40% surcharge. Surcharge drops 10% every year...
Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
Premiums definitely going to go up, especially since its a write-off, ICBC is going to get their money back one way or another. And the surcharge will be applied to you, and your license, not the vehicle or family member. Also the surcharge levels can vary I was at -10% discount and went up to +40% surcharge. Surcharge drops 10% every year...
Yeah I was under that impression that it would affect me not anyone else, since I was the opperator of the vehicle.

I'm at either -15 or 20% now.
I'm paying $200 month for my 2DR Coupe sports car... I wonder what the outcome will be after this is all done......

thanks for the help. I'll see what happens soon.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
The insurance hit will depend on a few factors such as who is the owner of the vehicle in question, who the driver is, which policy is renewed first etc.

My experience tells me it will go after whoever renews their policy first if the owner of the van keeps that exact policy. Since the van is totaled, say they buy a new car next week and insure it under the same policy, then whoever renews their policy first will take the hit. So if your due date is before your family member's due date, then you will take the hit on renewal, and vice versa.

I am not too sure on how it would work if they cancel and take out a new policy, but I think it won't make much difference. ICBC would want to recupe their costs as soon as possible and take it out on whoever renews first be it owner or driver. Maybe some one that works at ICBC can chime in.

And it would ding only one policy at a time, unless you do some tricky renewal procedures to try and push it to a later date like insuring multiple cars and cancelling. Not recommended though as ICBC do catch them, and its insurance fraud, or something.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

if it wasnt for unlevel road it wouldnt create puddle. for that guy who mentioned that u wer going a bit fast is the usually cost stupid long ass traffic coz they cant drive on any weather other than summer.
gc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #14

my insurance wasn't affected.
vans registered owner was, it will be about an extra $400 total over the next 3 year period.
still waiting to hear back about the payout on the van though.

thanks for the help..
Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc200 View Post
if it wasnt for unlevel road it wouldnt create puddle. for that guy who mentioned that u wer going a bit fast is the usually cost stupid long ass traffic coz they cant drive on any weather other than summer.
What???
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
my insurance wasn't affected.
vans registered owner was, it will be about an extra $400 total over the next 3 year period.
still waiting to hear back about the payout on the van though.

thanks for the help..
Did the owner already insure another vehicle for his insurance to go up? Or...?

I'm guessing because there was no other party involved your insurance did not go up?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #17

That's what the claims adjuster told us at ICBC claims center today. That the registered owner would just have to pay a bit more on their insurance. Roughly $400 over 3 year period. And that my insurance wouldn't be affected.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
What???
read 1exotic's thread again and ull get my point.
gc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
$400 over 3 years doesn't seem too bad at all

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch