REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 10-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
UBC
Banned By Establishment

UBCmath Basic Skills Test?

hi

I hate math, but now i need to take it for a comm minor. I was looking through the ubc courses and noticed that all their first year math courses require 80% in math 12 or 73% in the provincial. I have neither. So in order to get these marks, I either take math 12 again or I do the Basic Skills Test.

Im gonna choose the BST, but I'm confused about it.

Basic Skills Test

It says that students who get 15+/30 get the MATH180/184 etc. But those who get 15-/30 will be placed in MATH110. So that means no matter how I do on the test, even if I get 0, I will still be guaranteed a MATH110 course?

Has anyone been through this?
Advertisement
UBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt you eventually need to do 180 or 184?

Im pretty sure math 110 is a prerequiste for 180/184

the BST(a substitute for math12) just allows you do skip math 110 and get into either 180/184

I dont go ubc so I could be wrong
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Note that you can take MATH 110 WITHOUT doing the BST (the only requirement for MATH 110 is a passing grade for math 12). So the answer is yes, MATH 110 is guaranteed for you.

MATH 110 is the equivalent of MATH 180/184. The only difference is that it's a two-term course @@
systane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
RS Lurker, I don't post!

If you didn't achieve 80 overall or 73 in the provincials, you probably need more practice.

Practice for your BST and your 180/184 and get it done with because if you don't, you will have a hard time in either course. Plus, a 1 year course is a drag.

Not to mention, you might have prerequisites in 2nd term that require math - not sure about this. Do your research.
melstrom is offline   Reply With Quote