REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
I don't get it

buying a furnace in the USA

has anyone purchased a furnace in the USA?

i am wondering if i would have any problems bringing it back..

im going to buy a high efficiancy furnace.

anyone know a certified installer for a good flat rate?
Advertisement
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Can't help with much on the furnace issue-I would think duty would be a killer depending on where its made.

BUT-on the flat rate issue. You know, you'd probably save money on not making an issue of the flat rate? When I quote someone, I have to cover myself on all possible courses of action. Things that can't be foreseen, obviously I either eat, or charge extra, which is ALWAYS a fun conversation.

Hourly-if they are good, you save.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
remember when you buy a new furnace out of the US nothing will be covered under warranty.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
BUT-on the flat rate issue. You know, you'd probably save money on not making an issue of the flat rate? When I quote someone, I have to cover myself on all possible courses of action. Things that can't be foreseen, obviously I either eat, or charge extra, which is ALWAYS a fun conversation.
I do the same. I would also definitely quote higher if someone wanted to buy their own furnace, since if there's anything wrong when a customer buys materials it turns into a huge head ache to deal with. If I buy materials and something's wrong then it's a matter of one quick phone call, maybe a run to the supplier. If a customer does, then I call them, wait half the day for them to call back, they call the supplier and make arrangements, call me back, the arrangements suck and I yell at the customer, they call the supplier back and re-arrange things, they call me back, the arrangements still suck but not as much, I deal with it and end up at least a couple days behind on the job and I bill the customer extra for wasting my time.

To add, since your installer buys at wholesale pricing and you pay retail, you probably won't wind up as far ahead as you think buying it yourself.

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
I don't get it

im an electrician, i know how side jobs work.. i have done my fair share...

as for buying it wholesale against retail.. im not buying it from a fancy store i am getting it shipped within the states for free from a wholesaler.

as for warranty, a furnace is a furnace.. i am pretty sure i can do my own troubleshooting on it if need be.

i am buying a 95% eff 90 kbtu variable speed furnace for 1413.35 taxes and shipping included to point roberts. 18$ for the parcel to be received.

i am not sure that i could get a furnace for that cheap in Canada.

im thinking anywhere from 300-700$ for install.

if i get it done and it cost me 2000$ or less im doing very well.. im going to work in the government rebate.. for a small return.
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

I had a 95% eff furnace installed privately for roughly $2600 everything in.
kalekain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I do the same. I would also definitely quote higher if someone wanted to buy their own furnace, since if there's anything wrong when a customer buys materials it turns into a huge head ache to deal with. If I buy materials and something's wrong then it's a matter of one quick phone call, maybe a run to the supplier. If a customer does, then I call them, wait half the day for them to call back, they call the supplier and make arrangements, call me back, the arrangements suck and I yell at the customer, they call the supplier back and re-arrange things, they call me back, the arrangements still suck but not as much, I deal with it and end up at least a couple days behind on the job and I bill the customer extra for wasting my time.

To add, since your installer buys at wholesale pricing and you pay retail, you probably won't wind up as far ahead as you think buying it yourself.
My favorite was a customer that sourced her own flooring for me.

Awesome. They are delivering it on Wednesday. Can you be there to receive it?

Yes. Fuck.

So these guys show up. I had to arrange to have the elevator on service. Then they want to dump 30 boxes of wood in the lobby and run. I say hell no.

So they load in the elevator, and he wants to dump 30 boxes of wood in the hallway and run. I say hell no. He then gets on the phone and starts trying to find out where the drop point is. Oh! He's on hold. Good. Stand right in the way if you would.

So I start hauling this shit out of the elevator. He comes back and says it was drop point at the door, as in the lobby. He has 3 guys there including himself. I have me.

While he was on the phone, one of the guys was helping me, because I *think* the look on my face was something along the lines of "I'm going to make you eat the 30th box.

So I ask him..."you need me to sign for delivery, yeah?"

"Yes."

And I deliver the hook: "Well, I'll be happy to sign it, once everything is loaded into the apartment. So you can either stand over there and watch, or you can help. Your call."

Guess who had 3 extra helpers unload the flooring?

Once again...can I charge for this shit? Not really. Is it a huge waste of my time dealing with something that I didn't source, I have no negotiating power and no say? Fuck yes.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
I don't get it

you can buy wholesale at emco, all the trades go there for heating and plumbing.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote