REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Credit card cheques for monthly insurance payment, will it work?

dumb question, but hoping someone will know, i have some credit card cheques laying around and was hoping this will work for monthly car insurance payments, i hate having to pay full cash at one time just to insure my car since i am tight on cash... i have no time to go to the bank to get a void check... if the credit card cheques doesnt work how about just normal bank checks? are the bank cheques the same as void cheques? just that void cheques only work once to prevent fraud? i am a cheque rookie, never liked cheques cause my signature is super easy to copy
Advertisement
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Negative. Cheques for insurance must be from a branch bank account with your name already printed on cheque.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

damn, another question, would a void cheque even work if i have almost no money in the bank?? every time i put my pay cheques in my bank it goes pretty much striaght off right away to paying off my credit cards, so there is pretty much only 100 bucks or less in my bank account most of the time due to credit card payments..

edit: say if my yearly insurance payment was 2,200 a year, do i need to have 2,200 in my bank account for them to take out monthly payments?? i brought void cheques in a long time ago but didnt work, i am guessing because i didnt have enough cash in account?

Last edited by gretzky; 11-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

If the first payment that ICBC tries to withdraw from your bank account goes NSF pretty much meaning the money was not available to be taken out, then ICBC will charge you $18 for the first time it was not able to come out. ICBC then tries to withdraw the money again a few days later. If this keeps happening or if your payment can't be withdrawn the 3rd time then your account will be closed and you will owe the whole amount to ICBC and it will follow you as a debt. In the future if you try to get auto insurance or make any changes in your insurance it will pop up saying you owe money and are not allowed to do any transactions. ICBC will also not allow you to go on monthly payment again until you built up a credit with them for few years.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

okay so pretty much when i hand in the void cheque i have to make sure i have atleast 300 bucks in my bank account which will cover for the first month of insurance.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Why not just pay with your CC? I pay mine in full every year on my CC.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
that way you would have to pretty much have pay off in full the next month right? i dont have the money to pay off in full, if i do i will be late for my credit card payment next month lol.. so monthly payments would be best for me.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Just pay for a month of insurance on your credit card.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

minimum is 3 months. that is what i usually pay on my credit card, but the thing is my aircare is due in a few months so i wanna pay off for 1 year and i kind of dont have enough cash for that, unless i pay off monthly from automatic withdrawels from my bank account
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #10

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Take the bus?
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
that way you would have to pretty much have pay off in full the next month right? i dont have the money to pay off in full, if i do i will be late for my credit card payment next month lol.. so monthly payments would be best for me.
he's saying pay your entire premium on your CC.

however, to answer your question: yes, have enough money in your account on the day payment is withdrawn and you'll be fine.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #12

I think you can also set it up on monthly payment and go into an autoplan insurance place to 'prepay' every month a few days before your withdrawal date. It will just be left sitting on your account as a credit, therefore the credit will be the first amount they access first before your bank account.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
apply for overdraft at your bank
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

my plan is to get a void check, make sure i have at least $500 in bank account befor i hand in the void check to the insurance guy and i should be good to go. thanks all!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
I'm invisible

You can set it up on monthly payments with a void cheque or a pre authorization form. As others have said, you can "pre-pay" for that particular month using credit card, cash or debit.

If you the withdrawal comes out and there's no money:

1. The payment will come back
2. Will try again in few days and plus a $18 NSF charge
3. If second try comes back again
4. ICBC will try a final third attempt (double-up) next month, for 2 payments (previous month + current month).
5. If this "double-up" payment returns, there is another $18 charge and icbc will close the account. You will then need to pay the difference in full.
6. If you don't pay in full, it will turn to debt owed to icbc. icbc will first remove optional coverages off your insurance, and the refund will be applied to debt.
7. If you still don't pay the difference they will send out a bailiff to get your plates and you are then forced to cancel (refund gets applied to debt), and if you want to re-insure your vehicle you must pay the difference.
8. You will be placed on "cash status" for the next 2 years = no payment plan.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #16
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
also remember, the bank may charge you a 42.50 NSF charge on the banks end too, so 42.50 + 18 all together.
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
minimum is 3 months. that is what i usually pay on my credit card, but the thing is my aircare is due in a few months so i wanna pay off for 1 year and i kind of dont have enough cash for that
Why does aircare factor into this? Are you trying to avoid aircare?
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Sounds like you have credit card problems. How much credit card debt do you have. I would fuck driving untill my debt is in order.
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #19

First time i tried using those cheques found out they have like a 25$ service charge or something. Never again.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
just get a direct deposit from the bank... go to your insurance and do a pre-authorized payment on your credit card...

thats what i do... i pretty must use my credit card.. put 85-90% of my money onto my card, keep 10-15% in my savings account to save up... prolly a bad idea but oh wellz...
Old 11-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Guy, you need to learn some financial basics.

A "void cheque" is a regular personalized cheque with the letters VOID written across it (by you). You make it. You take a regular cheque (for your bank account) and take it to the insurance broker. The numbers on the bottom of the cheque allow ICBC to debit your bank account for the payments.

If you don't have the money for your payments in the bank account, the payment bounces. ICBC will even give you a print out of when the payments are going to be taken out of your account, and for how much. So you can plan ahead.

You need financial help.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #22
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
Sounds like you have credit card problems. How much credit card debt do you have. I would fuck driving untill my debt is in order.
i don't actually but almost, i don't use cash, i use a credit cards to pay for everything unless its $10 or under. reason for this is so i can track my spendings. pretty much i have been spending my money on stupid things, maybe that can stop and i can actually save some money if i use my brain properly. barely making enough money to get by but atleast i am not in debt yet, 10 bucks an hour is not helping me much..

Quote:
Why does aircare factor into this? Are you trying to avoid aircare?
my aircare is over in feb which is 3 months from now, i usualy insure my car every 3 months and if i do that now than i will have to renew my aircare when the insurance is over and i don't wanna go threw the hassle.

but if i insure for maybe 6 months or 12 months that would hold off air care for a bit, i am not sure if it will pass because the car is a 88 shitbox
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #23
retired

You don't have to have all the money in the bank all the time. Just make sure you have the amount for your due date. My insurance payments come out of a bank account I barely use. I just make sure I put money in it every month.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #24
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Credit cards to track your spending? Ever heard of bank statements, and online banking? I know I am coming across as a dick but you should chop up them cards.

For me personally, credit cards are only for online purchases, buying flights/hotels, and other random only credit card uses. So my total transactions a month are 3-5. I don't buy a flight etc unless I have preloaded the visa account. 18% interest is silly and bad habits are easy to fall into.

Adjust living to means accordingly.
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I'm the opposite. I buy everything on my credit cards. I pay it all off fully every month too. I figure that if I'm buying essential goods regardless, why not buy it on one of my cards that gives me a good return, rather than paying cash or using debit and not getting anything back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: