REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #26
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
if you dont have $2200 in the bank to pay off the full year, don't put it on your CC at ~19%. ICBC's autoplan12 payment plan is like 4%
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
dont get me wrong, i dont owe $2000+ on my credit card.. in fact, i have a credit on my credit card... usually by the time i get my statement, i have either zero owing or a few hundred owing... then i again, i put about $80 of my paycheck to my card and the rest into my savings.. so i usually have $3000 or so credit on my credit card every month.. probably defeats the purpose of having a card.. but i would hate to receive a bill for $2000-$3000... plus it builds up credit faster... err I hope..
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
Credit cards to track your spending? Ever heard of bank statements, and online banking? I know I am coming across as a dick but you should chop up them cards.
I know we're getting off topic, yet you're also coming across as dumb.

My credit card company offers online statements with a built in budgeting feature. It txts and/or emails me when I hit certain limits I set. This is fantastic as my money can sit in my account all month earning interest, while my spending for the month is interest free on my CC - plus I earn rewards while spending everything on my CC.

Yet this approach only works for those who can control their spending and pay their CC in full every month.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #29
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
^Congratulations, you are able to use a credit card and take advantage of its powers.

Some people can, and others use it as there primary means of spending and live pay cheque to pay cheque. The original question was if he can pay for his insurance with credit card cheques. Clearly he is un able to handle the power of a credit card.
Then he told me its his way of keeping tabs of his money spending, and reminded him that you are able to use online banking and bank statements to track your money.

And for calling me dumb? Name calling is for children.
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
And for calling me dumb? Name calling is for children.
You wanted to act like a dick and tell the OP its wrong to budget with a CC be prepared to be called dumb when others point out that budgeting with a CC is what smart people do.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #31
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
You wanted to act like a dick and tell the OP its wrong to budget with a CC be prepared to be called dumb when others point out that budgeting with a CC is what smart people do.

Oh so thats what smart people do, budget with credit cards. Guess I have been doing it all wrong over the years. Guess I should throw out my traditional budget that has worked so well and is tried tested and true for this credit card budget. That only works, as you said

"Yet this approach only works for those who can control their spending and pay their CC in full every month." - taylor192

Gotcha. Its so easy to control your spending in todays world its funny.

Oh and P.S, when my credit card budget doesn't work out, daddy doesn't help me.
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Oh so thats what smart people do, budget with credit cards. Guess I have been doing it all wrong over the years. Guess I should throw out my traditional budget that has worked so well and is tried tested and true for this credit card budget. That only works, as you said
Further proof you deserve to be called dumb. I never said other methods to budget don't work, I said:

Quote:
This is fantastic as my money can sit in my account all month earning interest, while my spending for the month is interest free on my CC - plus I earn rewards while spending everything on my CC.
Quote:
Gotcha. Its so easy to control your spending in todays world its funny.
It is, if you're not dumb.

Quote:
Oh and P.S, when my credit card budget doesn't work out, daddy doesn't help me.
Who cares? Did I ask this? Nope.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #33
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Im just gonna put this here:

As for OP, go to your insurance broker and buy insurance for 1 year but ask them to set up automatic monthly bank withdraws for the coming year. You will need to bring a bank account cheque with the word "VOID" written across it. Dont cover up the numbers at the bottom though. This way, (i think) you can avoid aircare until next year, and you wouldn't have to pay up front $2200 at one go. You will however pay slightly more as a premium for spreading out your payments, but if your financial situation is really as bad as you say it is, this is likely the best solution.

PS: Aircare is not that expensive anyways.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
You will however pay slightly more as a premium for spreading out your payments
so if you pay monthly with a void check out of your bank account then you would be charged more?? i thought it would be the same as paying off in full with cash or whatever.. if this is true i rather just pay for 6 months in full and save... pretty damn sure when you pay monthly threw void check/autowithdrawels its the same price???? someone tell me this..

it sounds like you guys think i am a debter and im in big debt... i dont think i ever said that but i am not.. i just got alot of shit to pay for and it all adds up, it seems easier to track what you have spent on a credit card cause yeah like taylor said you can check online is which i do, of course.. just like a bank account.. and of course i never pay interest because i am never due on payments, i dont want bad credit.. i am pretty sure alot of people do the same.. some people like cash some people like credit cards..i think credit cards are good when you get rewards and want good credit, i just got MBNA credit card which has pretty sweet deals, 5% on gas and groceries for first 6 months and then after that is 3% or some crap like that.. if you are gonna spend the money might as well get cash back.. i would guess the people that dont have/use credit cards are the broker people haha.. no steady income and you can fuck up your credit if you spent money on it and cant pay back..
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky
i thought it would be the same as paying off in full with cash or whatever.. if this is true i rather just pay for 6 months in full and save... pretty damn sure when you pay monthly threw void check/autowithdrawels its the same price???? someone tell me this..
Yeah, it costs more to finance it. Pretty basic principle there.

ICBC | Autoplan payment plans

Costs you $15 extra to do a financing plan, plus prime interest rate minus 1%.

Doing less than a full year costs you more as well. The cheapest insurance is... a full year, paid in full. Or ride the bus, that's way cheaper.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #36
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
dumbest post ever.

you need a CC company to tell you when you've spent too much?

do you also wear a helmet out in public?
skippynixx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #37
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Here's the bottom line: If you can pay off your credit card in full every month, it's simply a superior way to spend money. You gain interest while your money is in the account, and you get rewards like cash back for using your CC.

Unless I'm forced to use another payment method, I ALWAYS use my CC.

There's mainly two reasons you wouldn't do this:
a) You can't control yourself with the CC, and you spend more than you have or more than your normally would.
or b) You just like having cash, like paying with cash, or are just used to paying with cash. I like gaining more interest and more rewards on my CC, so to each his own.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #38
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
So off-topic, but I get mad at my bank about credit cards. Every and any problem I have with my bank account, they try to solve with a credit card.

My favorite: I got a message that there was a security breach, and I should change the pins to my bank card. Ok. So I go into the branch and ask what the deal is. He doesn't really know, and plays around on the computer and says I'm fine.

So my next stop is some shopping, and low and behold...my bank card doesn't work. Oh yeah, neither does the business account. Of course there's a line behind me, and of course I look like a broke douche. Thankfully our joint account is with a different bank, and I can continue on my way.

My way features me going back to the bank. I go up to the same dude.

"Hi! Remember me? I'm going to need to see your manager."

Explain the situation, and she says she's sorry, here's some free fucking air miles and then says, "well, its situations like this that you need a credit card"

Hey...I'm all over turning a situation into a sales call, but really? I need a credit card in case dumb fuck here 1 hour out of training fucks up every account I have held with this wonderful bank starting when I was 12?

I have had a couple of run ins with her(the manager). My business account was brutal as its held at the Denman location and I work out of the New West branch. Anytime now that they give me shit, its the same routine: Call up the info screen. Read it. Questions?

No sir.

I had the Denman branch load up the system with the answer to any question they could possible have.

"There's a 5 day hold on check deposits"

Really? What does the info screen have to say on that?

"No sir"

Win!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote