REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Penn State Protest/Riot (https://www.revscene.net/forums/657324-penn-state-protest-riot.html)

Ronin 11-09-2011 08:58 PM

Penn State Protest/Riot

Anyone else seeing this on the news?

Apparently tons of people are up in arms that the coach of the college football team got fired because he knew that one of the assistant coach was having sex with little boys and covered it up.

And in one night, the Canucks riot and OccupyVancouver seem so much less ridiculous in contrast.

Splmash 11-09-2011 09:02 PM

Joe Paterno has been an icon in football for many decades. He's in his 80's now and should retire. This case will forever leave a hindrance on his legacy but he was wrong and neglected to fix anything.

I don't see him coaching this weekend.

AWDTurboLuvr 11-09-2011 09:04 PM

He can't coach this weekend...board of directors have already fired him. I'm pretty sure Joe wouldn't want the kids to be doing this right now.

XplicitLuder 11-09-2011 09:04 PM

read it on msn.ca... that's messed y0

dangonay 11-09-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Paterno has come under harsh criticism -- including from within the community known as Happy Valley -- for not taking more action in 2002 after then-graduate assistant and current assistant coach Mike McQueary came to him and reported seeing Sandusky in the Penn State showers with a young boy. Paterno notified the athletic director, Tim Curley, and a vice-president, Gary Schultz.

Paterno is not a target of the criminal investigation, although Curley and Schultz have been charged with failing to report the incident to the authorities.
So he reports it to two other individuals, and then gets blamed for not doing "more"?

nsmb 11-09-2011 09:36 PM

stream
CBS News, Ustream.TV: CBS News behind the scenes live news coverage.

MDMA 11-09-2011 09:58 PM

from Penn State to the State Penn :troll:

StylinRed 11-10-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangonay (Post 7683277)
So he reports it to two other individuals, and then gets blamed for not doing "more"?

yeah its quite retarded sounds like they're just using him as a scape goat since he's so old anyway easy target

Jassanova 11-10-2011 05:45 AM

Quote:

I don't think the story is quite that simple. Paterno reports it, he and other officials meet, they decide to take away Sandusky's keys to the gym. Paterno (and others who have also been fired, vilified, and will be investigated) then sees that no one has informed the authorities, and decides its not his problem to inform the authorities (for 9 years) and during those 9 years, Paterno continues to support the Second Mile, Sandusky's charity for underprivileged youth, the same charity which was used by Sandusky to select children to continue to molest and anally rape. During this time he also allows Sandusky to bring children to Penn State practices knowing Sandusky's history.

If you knew one of your co-workers was anally raping children, you told your boss, and you found out that your boss essentially gave a slap on the wrist to your co-worker who went on raping children, would you feel like you did enough? Would you feel like you had no obligation to call the police?

Hondaracer 11-10-2011 06:34 AM

^ and that just touches on it..

There is so much more to this story than just "not reporting" it, besides the fact that fucking a 10 year old in the ass probably should have been reported to the police rather than the athletic director

I do however feel that paterno has become the number one subject in this case when it should really be the offensive coordinator that was doing the molesting

Either way, coaching at a school for 42 years, an institution you've been a part of for 60, and you were the one shining light for the
NCAA when it came to its scandals etc now your entire lifes work is tarnished horribly lol..sucks to be joe
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 11-10-2011 06:36 AM

The police were informed and an investigation held where Sandusky admitted to the acts in a sting operation by the police

the DA however chose not to lay charges; unfortunately that DA has been missing for over 7 years and declared dead already, so he can't be

Mike McQueary(sp) should be fired too then since all he did was tell Paterno (if Paterno was fired for doing nothing more than he did)

side not: i didnt know these were actually children from a charity that were raped?; I thought the news was calling college students "children" and i was like wtf?

Z3guy 11-10-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

c'mon man, if someone told me that xx person was having sex with a student and I just went to my boss that would be good enough? anyone with an avg moral compass would have went to the cops after he determined that his bosses were going to do nothing about it.

Joe P was suppose to look after the best interest of his student athletes. He cared more about winning and dollars for the school than the well being of athletes.

Winning the most championships in College football means nothing knowing that your assistant coach was messing up the lives of many student athletes for over 8yrs!!!!!

Hondaracer 11-10-2011 07:30 AM

They weren't student athletes, they were 10 year olds from a charity the school hosted..Also the 8 year thing is only how long patutno 100% knew about it, it was obviously going on for alot longer than that, and now it's being reported that there were over 40 victims

As for that part about informing the DA etc this is the first I've heard of any of that and I've been listening to American sports radio and reading articles online

I also find it hard to believe the DA was ever informed yet all these allegations just come to a head two days ago..

This story in the states is like what it would be in Canada if don cherry and Ron Maclean raped a kid with Kelly rhuedy filming, paturno IS football.

Also penn state had to fire paturno because this weekends game would have been a 60,000 person pep rally chanting his name

Posted via RS Mobile

Z3guy 11-10-2011 07:32 AM

^ thanks for the clarification, that makes it even worse!!!!!

I don't understand how the students can support Joe......makes very little sense.....

Gumby 11-10-2011 09:14 AM

Yikes, reading about this incident is pretty disgusting...

StylinRed 11-10-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7683608)
As for that part about informing the DA etc this is the first I've heard of any of that and I've been listening to American sports radio and reading articles online

I also find it hard to believe the DA was ever informed yet all these allegations just come to a head two days ago..

It was on CNN and here is an ABC article about it

Former Penn State Coach Prosecutor Center of Penn Missing Man Mystery - ABC News

the mother of one of the victims went to police and there was a supposed sting operation where Sandusky went to the victims home to apologize to the parents where he supposedly admitted to his actions but the state prosecutor didn't pursue charges

Quote:

The prosecutor who decided to not pursue sex abuse charges against former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky more than a decade ago, despite an alleged confession, is at the center of a missing persons mystery that has enraptured middle Pennsylvania for years.

Ray Gricar served as the district attorney for Pennsylvania's Centre County in 1998 when Sandusky was accused of sexually abusing several boys. After an extensive investigation, which included testimony by two law enforcement officers that they had overheard Sandusky admitting to showering with multiple young boys, Gricar decided no criminal charges would be filed, according to recent court documents. Sandusky retired the next year.

Then, in April 2005, Gricar disappeared.

His car was found abandoned in a Lewisburg, Pa., parking lot and his laptop's harddrive was recovered from the nearby Susquehannna River, but there was no other trace of Gricar. No clues could be gleaned from the severely damaged harddrive and despite a six year investigation that involved the FBI and international help, police have as little an idea today about what happened to the former DA as they did then.
click link for the rest of the article

dangonay 11-10-2011 09:41 AM

The more that comes out the stranger this is becoming.

McQueary witnesses a sexual assault. He reports to Paterno who then reports to Curley and Schultz.

Curley and Schultz are being criminally charged. McQueary and Paterno aren't. McQueary didn't even get fired despite being the person who saw the initial sexual assault, and he's still coaching this Saturday. Why didn't he go straight to the police since he's the only witness to the assault? Surely his testimony would matter to the police far more than the heresay of people who were told about it afterwards.

Only thing I can think of is that Curley and Schultz were the ones who orchestrated the cover-up, which is why they're being charged. If Paterno knew this was on-going he should be charged as well (as should McQueary). The police not charging these individuals is making it appear they didn't have as much to do with it, and is sending a wrong message. Even I took it to suggest they weren't really involved or aware because of the lack of charges.

Ronin 11-10-2011 09:47 AM

That other dude should be fired too.

I don't think they should be charged since they haven't technically broke the law...they just did something douchey. I mean, it's not like he did the raping but at the same time, he should have told the police when he realized the cover up was on if he wasn't the one doing the covering.

So no crimes are being committed but at the same time, there's no way that Paterno or McQueary should working. I assume McQueary is just there to finish up the season and then he's fired too.

dangonay 11-10-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7683717)

So Sandusky was already under investigation in 1998, four years before the assault that McQueary witnessed?

It appears from other reports that his charity The Second Mile knew about the 1998 investigation and the 2002 one as well, yet Sandusky wasn't banned from being involved with children's programs until 2008. How many people over the years from his charity to Penn State knew about these things and nobody did anything? Seems there should be a lot more people on the chopping block.

Hondaracer 11-10-2011 09:54 AM

They could be charged with a few things for covering it up, aiding and abedding, being an accessory in a rape, etc
Posted via RS Mobile

parm104 11-10-2011 11:08 AM

The problem with everyone who is defending and protesting Paterno's firing is that they are focusing on legal responsibility. People keep arguing that since he informed his superior's, that he dd his job. But let's forget about legality for a second and focus on MORAL responsibility?

If you were in Paterno's position, and you had already informed your superiors and it was swept under the rug, would you not feel compelled to take the next step and alert the authorities? If not, why would you keep quiet? To protect yourself? Your name, and the reputation of your program?

SumAznGuy 11-10-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 7683844)
The problem with everyone who is defending and protesting Paterno's firing is that they are focusing on legal responsibility. People keep arguing that since he informed his superior's, that he dd his job. But let's forget about legality for a second and focus on MORAL responsibility?

If you were in Paterno's position, and you had already informed your superiors and it was swept under the rug, would you not feel compelled to take the next step and alert the authorities? If not, why would you keep quiet? To protect yourself? Your name, and the reputation of your program?

Or protect his job? If word came out that he was the whistle blower, I'm sure he'd be out of a job and black listed from other jobs too?

This isn't normal society. They are run by the old boy's club.

Z3guy 11-10-2011 11:46 AM

^ I agree with you, Joe cared more about winning and his legacy than the boys getting raped. The fact he tells his supporters that their prayers should be with the victims is a freaking joke. He had over 8yrs to make this right and did not nothing.

Hondaracer 11-10-2011 12:09 PM

He was there for 35 years prior to the point where he would have been called a "whistle blower" I'm pretty sure his job was safe

IMO it was more of a loyalty thing probably
Posted via RS Mobile

Z3guy 11-10-2011 12:17 PM

To those RS members who are fathers, I could not look myself in the mirror if I knew something this bad was happening to any young boy and did not do anything to stop it.