REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #51
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
I think it always comes down to the owner when it comes to choice of sub-trades in residential homes anyways. If it's a spec home and built to sale, most of them would care less how to work is as long as it's the lowest bid for the job.
It's possible that I'm just not following your wording, but if I am, your statement is not true in my experience. Most owners have a difficult enough time deciding how many pot lights to install, never mind actually being involved with choosing sub-trades.

Several of the builders I've worked with don't actually have other companies in my trade bid on projects, they exclusively work with us, I know people working in other trades with the same experience. Builders know we do outstanding quality work for a fair price and always get work done on time, once you get clients involved with choosing trades they'll want to bring in referrals from friends whose quality of work is unproven.

On spec homes it comes down to who the builder, just like everything else in construction. I've worked with home builders who build spec homes on the side using the same trades they use for custom projects with clients, outstanding quality finishings on the surface and the same level of workmanship behind the drywall. On the other hand, I've fixed a spec home for a home owner a year after purchase, only the areas of that persons attic within sight had been insulated, everything else was completely bare.
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #52
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Hey sorry, that was a bad post typed up compounded with typos. What I meant in that was not that the owners will choose the sub-trade but whether what kind of subtrades will work on the job site is largely dependent on the type of owner. If the owner intially chooses a builder that gives him the lowest bid for the job per sq ft wise, naturally the subtrades that's gonna be on the site will be those with some of the lowest bid and for subtrades, we all know that cheap = poor workmanship most of the time. I know most builders will always go back to subtrades they know but if it's a spec home builder, their concern is mostly finishing where the eyes can see and cheap out on things that people don't see/notice
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #53
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I wouldn't complain as that isn't the type of clients you want to deal with anyways. Just curious what you'd charge for a standard 33 lot in vancouver with a laneway house cost/base. For a fully finished house I was quoted in the 600k range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M5 View Post
You are dead on with most of your points. I hire a quality framer thats around 10-11bucks a sq/ft, where as if I went with a EI framer it would be around 5-7bucks a sq/ft. But in the end you will have less headache with failing city inspections and your structural engineer inspections. Your interior finishing will really take around 25-30% of the whole project. Cabinets, fixtures, flooring, doors, trims and so on.

When I build a spec or custom house, I always go by cost + base like you said. Reason being is that the customer can always choose what they want and they wont be tied to use whatever I give them. In the end, the client will be happy and not be stuck with materials inside their house that they dont want.

But one downside is that, I get a lot of clients walking away from me when they try to pick a builder because I am never the cheapest compared to the builders that charges a lump sump to build the house. They dont seem to understand the you get what you pay for.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #54
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
I wouldn't complain as that isn't the type of clients you want to deal with anyways. Just curious what you'd charge for a standard 33 lot in vancouver with a laneway house cost/base. For a fully finished house I was quoted in the 600k range.
It all comes down to what you expect to have on the inside. Can range anywhere from 600-750k with the laneway house. I am building a house on the west end on a 33 lot, so if you want to come take a look and get an idea of pricing just PM me.
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #55
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Our company's been around for last 10 years if anyone needs advice or pricing on housing feel free to PM me.
Nicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #56
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

This is a high quality thread that I just stumbled upon, thanks to all who have provided very valuable input.

I have a question,

Say you have empty land, when building a house, how much more is it to build a 2 storey with basement (3- levels in total) vs just a regular 2 storey.

Say if one house had 2 storeys above grade, vs that same house with a basement that is below grade.

Because the foundation costs are there, would the costs be marginal?
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ very few people build 2 storeys now. Only if the foundation is not deep enough.
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #58
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

The foundation costs would actually be more because you would have to dig deeper "the height of the basement floor", more lumber and joists because of the additional floor, and also your foundation form would be different. I say if you go for a basement if you have the money or can afford it, because you won't regret it;however, I wouldn't say it's marginal. With the cost of finishing and everything, I would say factor in at least another 80,000-100,000 at least depending on the size of your basement and whether you'll need special foundation footing in the area you're planning to build.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #59
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
The foundation costs would actually be more because you would have to dig deeper "the height of the basement floor", more lumber and joists because of the additional floor, and also your foundation form would be different. I say if you go for a basement if you have the money or can afford it, because you won't regret it;however, I wouldn't say it's marginal. With the cost of finishing and everything, I would say factor in at least another 80,000-100,000 at least depending on the size of your basement and whether you'll need special foundation footing in the area you're planning to build.

thats complete bullshit because all that depends on the area and soil condition. Where I am building right now, we dig 2-3 feet deep and its hard clay which is good enough for a foundation. Not having a basement will also mean that you would save on the cost of concrete and depending on the city service you might have to pump your sanitary and sewage out with a basement.

Also consider the cost of damp proofing, draintile and so on...
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote