REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 11-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,052 Posts
Arcteryx vs Dakota vs ?

So I'm in need of a new winter jacket and was thinking about picking up a Dakota jacket from Marks. However, I recently bought an Arcteryx Beta SL shell jacket and I really like it. So I got to thinking about checking out some of their heavier duty wear. The problem I'm having is whether I can justify spending the extra $500 on a jacket like the Fission SV compared to a Dakota Hyper-Dri HD2. Apart from the name, is it really worth the extra cost? And are there any other decent comparable jackets out there? I'm looking for a snowboarding style jacket, not a stylish overcoat.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
I purchased a Helly Hansen boarding jacket from the Granville St location a couple years ago. It was near the end of season so they had a 50% off sale. Got the last size small for only $120! I wear it out when it's cold and wet, and when I go up and snowboard. I can trust that it'll keep me warm and dry even if i'm only wearing a t shirt underneath. Only downside is that it's kinda bulky.
$500 is a bit pricey if you're just looking for a snowboarding jacket. You probably won't be able to find a 50% sale any time soon but $150-$350 would get you a pretty good one.
I think Burton, The North Face, Helly Hansen, and all those kind of brands make pretty good reliable boarding jackets. Check out 4th ave, where they have a whole block of snowboarding/skiing stores.
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,132 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Apart from the name, is it really worth the extra cost? And are there any other decent comparable jackets out there?
In my not so humble opinion, yes. Just like with automobiles, just because it costs more doesn't mean it's better. It probably is though... I have a few pairs of Arc'teryx pants, gloves, climbing harness, and an Alpha SV among other items, all of which I absolutely adore. There are very few items in the Arc'teryx catalog that I don't think are very near best-in-class. There are other comparable jackets, but in terms of quality (even for items not made in Canada) I highly doubt you'll find anything better. They stand by their products as well, which I know because I had my Beta AR pants replaced a few years ago. My love for their gear though comes down to the small details and impeccable craftsmanship.

I've tried on the Fission SV before but since I'm an absolute furnace on the hill I know it would be way too hot for me. The 2 layer Pro-Shell face fabric on it should be fairly comparable to the 2 layer Pac-Lite in your Beta. I'd imagine a bit more durable and while it should be more breathable, the generous insulation will probably stifle that a bit. If you want a little more flexibility with layering for different temperatures, I'd take a look at the Stingray Jacket or the Sabre SV. Both of those are made with the new Gore-tex Soft Shell material and not heavily insulated. Similar cut and still just as waterproof/windproof as the Fission. The Stingray has the same style hood as the Fission SV or your Beta whereas the Sabre has the Storm style hood. Try on a few of them if you can and just throw on some other makes of jackets, and more often than not, features aside I'd bet you'd pick the Arc'teryx gear based purely on how well it fits and how well thought out it is.

While I have a pair of gaiters with Mountain Hardwear's new Dry-Q technology, I don't yet have pants or a jacket with it, although it's on my shopping list. Take a look as well at the Snowtastic Jacket by MHW. The breathability offered by that jacket is probably unmatched in the industry. I quite like MHW gear as well - see if you can find one of these to try on at Valhalla Pure Outfitters or Atmosphere (only 2 retailers that I frequent that stock a lot of MHW).

I would be highly hesitant to recommend any jackets that aren't made with Dry-Q, eVent or Gore-Tex (not necessarily because of it's breathability, but for it's legendary durability and reliability). I personally don't find Conduit, Precip, Hyvent, Apex, etc items to be worth it. While I really like some of my The North Face, Marmot, etc clothing, I ended up buying other items that I use far more and prefer, not just in the backcountry or skiing, but as crossover items in the city as well. Anyways I've been drinking and even though I've tried my hardest to proofread this I hope it's all comprehensible.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.

Last edited by Brianrietta; 11-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
SFICC-03*

Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
i have the sidewinder ar and the atom lt
great jackets but yes the shells are pricey.
check out patagonia, they have some great jackets for under 400 (go to REI in bellingham)

honestly with their shells, you do notice that everything is made perfectly. i have zero complaints with my sidewinder ar. they thought out every detail.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
I am grateful grapefruit

One huge redeeming factor for the Arcteryx jackets are that they are a local company and if you buy it from an authorized retailer, you'll get a lifetime warranty. Get a hole in it, they'll patch it. Zipper is worn out, they'll fix it.

I personally like Arcteryx because of their fit, but like Eugene mentioned - not all their gear is worth the high price.

I don't know if I can recommend the Fission SV though - because it's insulated - it's really only good for colder weather. If you're going to get a lot of wear out of it, go for it - but personally, I'd prefer to get a hard shell that I can throw a layer underneath - because you'll be able to wear it year round. That said, you did just get a shell recently, so I don't know if you'd get another one - like the Alpha SV or the Thetha SV (I find the Theta waaay too big, but I know people who prefer the looser fit)

btw - www.backcountry.com and a lot of other american sites usually have really good savings for Arcteryx Gear - but Arcteryx stops them from shipping across the border, so you'll need to get it shipped to blaine/pt Roberts.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Arcteryx is overpriced for day to day use for regular people.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Arcteryx is overpriced for day to day use for regular people.
Depends on what your definition of day to day use is. If you're always out walking in the rain, I think spending the extra money on a good rain jacket is totally worth the money. If you're buying it as a fashion item, then yes, it's overpriced - but so is most "fashion" items.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Taiga Works Jackets are a good alternative to Arc'teryx!

I love mine.

Watches and Audio Gear , Headphones
blazingazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,052 Posts
Thanks, everyone. I'm looking for a jacket that I can use not just for day-to-day since I do the occasional snow camping trip and, frankly, warmth is kinda key. lol. I'll check out some of the other brands you guys recommended as well as keep an eye out on the Arcteryx stuff.

I'll definitely look into Backcountry as well. Shipping isn't an issue since I've got an account at a company in Point Roberts.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote