REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Replica wheels does not automatically mean that they're cheap. I've bought replica wheels before and they cost me about $2500 and they were made in Germany. Used them for about 3 years in the winter and summer with no problems.

I don't know too much about the structure of a wheel but I'm pretty sure having a heavy wheel doesn't necessarily mean it's a solid wheel. The construction and material of the wheel can still be cheap and unreliable.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of reputable companies that make replica wheels and have a solid reputation for oem like quality and finish. At least in the German scene...
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #27
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxboost View Post
Most so called "fake" 1 piece wheels sold in the US. Use the exact same manufacture process that most, so called "real" 1 piece wheels do. Many are even made in the same factories. DOT requirements and structural integrity are in most cases Identical. The major difference is, higher priced wheels will generally have a better finish/look, and more stringent requirements regarding things like balance, and trueness of round.
Even most Multi-piece Wheels have low pressure cast centers. Break a spoke off most SSR, Advan, or BBS wheels for example. and it will look exactly like the XXR in the pic

The whole real vs fake attitude is stupid... Safety cannot be simply based on name/price alone. Just because you pay more doesnt necessarily mean you are getting a safer product. Cast is Cast... more times than not.. One is no stronger/safer than the other. "
I'm not going to fuel a replica versus authentic wheel debate, just like inexpensive coilovers that make your car low but don't actually perform, there is a place for both levels of product in the marketplace. If all you're looking to do is make a miata hellaflush and it will never see high speeds or track time, the majority of the time a rota or xxr wheel will do just fine. All cast wheels are not created equal however, as this person seems to be implying, there's a reason why you can search the net and find many pictures of cracked xxr wheels and very few cracked enkeis.

Here's a better write up.

Quote:
Casting gone wrong, but ~98% of wheels are and they don't fail, why?

The process of casting allows for random defects within the material straight from the production line. These defects can propagate and break catastrophically. Comparing to the process of forging, the material micro structure is better aligned and more tightly packed creating a much stronger product as compared to the same product made up of the same material, but using a casting method.

Most common rims are casted, as this is a much cheaper process, and this is not usually a problem in most rims as they are "over engineered" and can distribute the stresses better, thus negating the defects caused by casting, but not minimizing the weight. However, when you try to make a light weight design, the goal is to minimize the material used, and use lighter weight material; which means less material to take up the stress around the defect, and typically weaker material (aluminum).

So when creating a lighter weight rim through the process of casting, the chance that the stresses can be adequately distributed and maintained around the defect becomes questionable as you try to create a lighter rim (defects are random). Because of this random size, shape, and distribution throughout the structure, you can get rims that are fine (thus the people saying they have no problems running the rims on the track), or you can a get rim were the defects are in locations that are at stress concentration points, multple defect close to each other, or the defects are just close enough to each other that they propagate over time through usage so they form a larger defect (increasing the stress concentration around the defect). These defects can cause a catastrophic failure, meaning they don’t bend they do the above, because there is only so much stress (force over a cross sectional area) that the material can handle. Rota rims of certain design can compensate better then other designs, to a degree, but there is a reason why the original designers used forging techniques when deciding to use aluminum as the material. Rota's using the same material but not using the forging process.... well you run into the above problems sometimes.

With that said… I have heard of people running on the track with them and not have problems… but you cannot compare the quality/material property/structural integrity to forged Volks…. Material Science will not back you up in that department. You can bend Volks too, but if I were to bend my Volks, I would just be thankful as I don’t know what a cast rim would have done in the same situation..
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #28
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
dont know much about wheels so sorry for the noob question:

are real wheels (lets say regular after market wheels) made from a different material than fake wheels?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
i heard varrstoen wheels are quite strong structural wise... i remember seeing a picture of a 335i that rolled over a cliff and got mangled but the varrstoens on it were perfectly fine.. cant find the pic but ill upload later.. or someone else mind posting it if you seen it before lol
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #30
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

materials are the same, as most rims are made out of aluminium. However it is the manufacture process that may varies.

Advan uses Flow Form Technology which is similar to forged, they also have forged rims as well

ADVAN Wheels - About ADVAN - Why ADVAN?

VOLK/SSR/BBS uses forged techonogy

enkei is one of the cheaper yet affordable rims too
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #31
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Cracked Advan wheels

Cracked Volk Racing wheels

Cracked BBS wheels

Cracked SSR wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #32
GG

thank you captain obvious

u can crack anything even if they are made out of titanium, diamonds, or magnesium

hell even if they are made by gods hand they can bend and crack if you drive it off the cliff.

R35 and enzo handles well, yet you still see people crashing them. geee i wonder why
Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
hell even if they are made by gods hand they can bend and crack if you drive it off the cliff.
Can you prove this?
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #34
GG

no rims are indestructible
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #35
Wanna have a threesome?

All aftermarket light weight wheels are somewhat prone to cracking, it's the nature of putting one corner of a car travelling at high speeds on something that weighs 10lbs. Proportionally however, more wheels made my companies with high quality standards will bend or have minor stress cracks before completely shearing a spoke off, or won't be damaged at all.

There's a reason I've seen pictures of multiple damaged xxr and rota wheels, but only a couple of damaged forged or high quality cast wheels.

If you were trying to make a point, you failed.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
All aftermarket light weight wheels are somewhat prone to cracking, it's the nature of putting one corner of a car travelling at high speeds on something that weighs 10lbs. Proportionally however, more wheels made my companies with high quality standards will bend or have minor stress cracks before completely shearing a spoke off, or won't be damaged at all.

There's a reason I've seen pictures of multiple damaged xxr and rota wheels, but only a couple of damaged forged or high quality cast wheels.

Number of Rota and XXR wheels sold compared to cast wheels.

It's like saying a Lambo is better in the snow compared to a civic because you have never Lambo in an accident in the snow.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #37

Quote:

Just wanted to point out cracked wheels from the list of manufactuers that TB posted.

I'm sure there is more, but I could be wrong if you have seen everything there is to see on the internet and only seen a couple of damaged forged or high quality cast wheels.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #38
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Number of Rota and XXR wheels sold compared to cast wheels.

It's like saying a Lambo is better in the snow compared to a civic because you have never Lambo in an accident in the snow.
Between Enkei, Volks, BBS, Rays, Spoon, Mugen, Advan, Desmond, Sprint Hart, Wed Sport, Kei-office, SSR, Work, ATS, Tom's, I forged, nutek, and every other other forged or quality cast wheel company the percentage of xxr and rota to quality isn't all that high.

Here's a good video of how forged wheels are made, since others were curious earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Just wanted to point out cracked wheels from the list of manufactuers that TB posted.

I'm sure there is more, but I could be wrong if you have seen everything there is to see on the internet and only seen a couple of damaged forged or high quality cast wheels.
I don't need to have seen everything on the internet, if what I've seen is an accurate sample by percentage.

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-15-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #39
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I don't think anyone is debating whether a set of forged volks are stronger than a set of XXR's, the debate should be over whether this story is BS (looking at those lugs...)/if it's actually dangerous to drive on XXR's
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I don't think anyone is debating whether a set of forged volks are stronger than a set of XXR's, the debate should be over whether this story is BS (looking at those lugs...)/if it's actually dangerous to drive on XXR's
No way. According to TB, even wheels made from God's hands will break. I need proof to believe that.

I'm here to debate that. It's much more interesting than this girls BS stories. Now, if someone posted a pic of her, then that changes everything.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #41

Quote:
I don't need to have seen everything on the internet, if what I've seen is an accurate sample by percentage.
So tell me, is it usually the right boob or left boob that is bigger?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #42
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
No way. According to TB, even wheels made from God's hands will break. I need proof to believe that.

I'm here to debate that. It's much more interesting than this girls BS stories. Now, if someone posted a pic of her, then that changes everything.
I agree.

It's more fun to debate, obviously that wheel broke as a combination of the wheel hitting a curb or speed bump hard and it missing a lug nut.

Quote:
So tell me, is it usually the right boob or left boob that is bigger?
Actually, I think the right boob actually is bigger usually, since more people are rh dominant.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #43
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
T6 aircraft grade aluminum, forged, MADE IN UNITED FUCKING STATES, or Germany.... possibly Japan (as long as they dont outsource to Chinese factories like HKS does but claims it's still made in Japan)
but yea I don't trust anything less than those keywords above there.....

made in china, or their new tag P.R.C which stands for Peoples Republic of China....
no thanks brosef, these guys can't even get baby milk right, let alone the one thing that keeps my car from becoming a flaming fireball every time i drive it
Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #44
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Steel wheels are heavy as fuck but are pretty strong too... Just sayin..
Old 11-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #45
Rs has made me the man i am today!

rotas have been good to me on my last few cars
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #46
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
let alone the one thing that keeps my car from becoming a flaming fireball every time i drive it
+1

I don't understand how some people do it.
Risking your $30k+ car on a set of $600 rims.

One of my friends is currently rolling his G37 on a set of fake Advans he got for ~$700.. :

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #47
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
i only wonder what her sister look like
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #48
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Moral of story,

Don't let women drive cars cus they will hit curbs and destroy your cheap wheels.
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #49
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
^better yet, destroy your whole car
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #50
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
I work at a wheel manufacturing plant... and so many things go into the structure of a wheel.
The wheels aren't aluminum btw, they are aluminum alloy. The % of certain metals will change the strength and yield of the metal. Then the casting process, temperatures... etc etc. Like I said, a lot of things.