REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
They're both terrible, there's better cars out there for the same money.

And yes, VQ's are terrible engines...not as bad as the QR's though.
Stop trolling.
Advertisement
Firmware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:35 AM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
What yr are u planning on buying?

Id stay away from 03 due to tranny problems and 06 due to oil consumption.

My 06 recently got written off, but for the 2 yrs i had it i really enjoyed it.

Pros-
Quick
Great handling
Looks greeat(every chick thinks its a phorche)
Cheap on maintenence(just regular up keep)
Very safe( a lady busted a left in front of me while i was going straight and i t-boned her) her 02 camry was crumpled and mine showed minimal cosmetic damage and i didnt have a scratch on me

Cons-cheap interior peices(scratch very easily) easy fix though is u just get the peices wrapped or can order carbon fiber interior
Suspension-very rough u feel every bump(but thats a sports car for u)

Overall id way rather have a 350z over a g35. Im in the market for another vehicle and i test drove a g37 and there was minimal diff in power. The g37 just had a little more torque at the low end, but im pretty sure my 350 was quicker(exhaust and intake). Overall i didnt find it to be ano exciting car,pretty boring if you ask me

350 for the win! But if ur gunna buy one try getting a 07 with the hr engine, and that for a fact is quicker than a g37 stock for stock.
Posted via RS Mobile
HI, I'm actually in the market for a 06 350z as my rsx-s was just written off recently, I do have a question tho, you said that the 06 350z has a oil consumption problem, how bad is it exactly? could you give me an example and is this known to be common in all 06's or are some just worse than others? thanks!
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

It can get pretty bad.

For all VQ's.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #29
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
It can get pretty bad.

For all VQ's.
What vqs have you owned?
Posted via RS Mobile
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Over9K quit spreading misinformation, you seriously need to quit fckin trolling!
the oil consumption issue was oNLY an issue for roughly 20% to 30% of the 06 VQ's....
And the engine is a Nissan, it's reliable and it won awards....
I personally drove my G35 from here to Montreal non stop driving 10+ hours a day 4 days straight in the boiling summer sun, and the only issue i had to deal with was dead bugs on the front of the car

I actually would have loved to have oil consumption issue, dealerships were handing out new motors like hotcakes, guys after 100k on their engines were gettin brand new ones
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by G-spec; 12-28-2011 at 04:12 PM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

@dovo:

Let's see....had a Z33, an Altima, and an I30.

Like many real Nissan enthusiasts, I am disgusted with that Mexican/French homo Ghosn.

@G-Spec

Not spreading misinformation here guys, just telling you the truth.

VQ's are terrible engines, a disgrace to the previous "V" Nissan engines. Open deck, lulz.

See, when you're driving for 10 hours straight, the engine is barely under a load...

Use them in taxi's, they'll show their many disadvantages.

You want do deal with an oil consumption issue just cause you can get a new motor installed? WTF!

I hope you know that most cars that do go under engine replacement always end up with more problems down the road, whether it's done by a local shop or a Nissan dealer.

A newer car should NOT have problems with oil consumption, and if it does, run...fast.

Hell, even the VG's are a lot more refined that the VQ's -_-
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #32
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
Over9K quit spreading misinformation, you seriously need to quit fckin trolling!
the oil consumption issue was oNLY an issue for roughly 20% to 30% of the 06 VQ's....
And the engine is a Nissan, it's reliable and it won awards....
I personally drove my G35 from here to Montreal non stop driving 10+ hours a day 4 days straight in the boiling summer sun, and the only issue i had to deal with was dead bugs on the front of the car

I actually would have loved to have oil consumption issue, dealerships were handing out new motors like hotcakes, guys after 100k on their engines were gettin brand new ones
Posted via RS Mobile
+1

Over9K doesn't know what he's talking about.

I've had both a G35 and a 350Z. Drove the shit out of them almost daily, took trips down to the states, any never had any oil/motor problems whatsoever.

The only downsides to these cars are the interior materials and electrical problems. Other than that, the motors are bulletproof. Hence the reliability awards.

Every car will have their lemons. If you're that worried even about Nissan, stick to a Corolla or a Civic.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #33
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
yea it definitely seems like 9K has a strong opinion, maybe he blew one of his VQ's or something, bad experience is a bad experience, but STILL has nothing to do with reality unfortunately....
and reality is, VQ is a very good reliable engine hence the awards like you said PJ, I'll take the word over automotive professionals over some guy ranting on a forum because he either had a bad experience or a preference. Immature people talkin out they ass trying to pass of their opinions as facts, makes forums a hard thing to be a part of sometimes.

And once more I would like to repeat this oil consumption issue only affects a percentage (estimates range 20% to 30%, and this is only the REV UP VQ's that didn't come in the earlier models, so in the years mostly 2006, but some 2007's as well....
This is all information that's been gathered on the main Nissan Infiniti forums since the problems arose in 2006, feel free to check it.

A typical experience with a 350z should be hassle free, few small issues PJ like you mentioned, I had to clean and degrease my window motors myself easy to do, and there was little bit of oil pooling in spark plug #6, dealer replaced cover under warranty... Those are the only issues I have had with this car since ownership back in 2007, bought car with 60k already on it, now has 120k. Very low maintenance vehicle.

oh and to put this engine reliability in perspective to tuners like us, the VQ will handle 400whp+ on a stock block no problem for daily driving.... This is has been proven and backed up beyond doubt over the many years from many members on the forums to the point where it's common knowledge now on the 350/G35 boards.... for guys getting into FI, they know the threshold for stock block is 400whp..
once you start getting close to the 500whp mark, is when you need to do engine work and some minor transmission upgrades...

Last edited by G-spec; 12-29-2011 at 02:43 PM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #34
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
The VQ oil consumption issue sounds EXACTLY like the issue with both 2007 Toyota Camry 4-cylinder engines and some 07/08 V6 Rav-4/Highlander engines. In either case, we just replace the shortblock rather than the entire engine. Now, isn't the Toyota GR engine pretty much the equivalent of the VQ? That didn't stop people from buying those cars now did it? Nope, because those cars are known to be reliable, but it was likely minor production line errors that caused tolerance issues in the affected cars, Nissan or otherwise.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
+1

Over9K doesn't know what he's talking about.

I've had both a G35 and a 350Z. Drove the shit out of them almost daily, took trips down to the states, any never had any oil/motor problems whatsoever.

The only downsides to these cars are the interior materials and electrical problems. Other than that, the motors are bulletproof. Hence the reliability awards.

Every car will have their lemons. If you're that worried even about Nissan, stick to a Corolla or a Civic.
Have you actually taken a VQ apart and taken a look?

Far inferior to the older engines, just not the same.

BTW, I've worked on MANY VQ's, ranging from shitty Altima's, cheaply built 350Z, overpriced Maxima's, and the sans-weatherstrip Murano. And it's not just the Rev Up models, the older ones have a lot of issues too.

And, reliability awards? Why cause it appeared on Wards Top Ten? LOL

If you want a Z, either go Z32 or older, or Z34. The Z34 engine is miles better than the VQ35, and still the 370Z managed to win the most unreliable sports car of the year by CR.

Way to go Nissan!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #36
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
No, I've never taken a VQ apart because I've never had to.

Are you saying G-Spec's, both my VQ's, and all the rest of the Nissan community's VQ's just luckily happen to not have any problems?

Just because you've worked on some doesn't mean anything. How many is that versus how many are on the road? What about all the Hondas that are brought into other shops? Does that mean Civics are unreliable too?

I'm interested in what you drive. You sound like someone who's just bitter with a personal vendetta against Nissan for whatever reason.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

A couple of S13's, one S14, one D21 with the VG30, another with the SOHC KA, and the first gen Q45.

In the past, I've owned most Nissan/Infiniti before the *shudders* Ghosn era.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #38
RS controls my life!

I had an 03' 350Z for a little over 3 years. Gas mileage is nothing shining, 16-17mpg with average sports car driving, 20-21 MPG on high way cruising. The car was relatively solid with the exception of the window motors which are terrible and I replaced 3, but they can be found for relatively cheap for the re-manufactured ones and take less then an hour to put in once you learn how to take the door apart. I didn't have any engine issues or oil burning issues requiring extra oil between changes. The interior really is the biggest flaw, very plasticy feel and no room at all outside of driver and passenger. The earlier years have notoriously bad transmissions so check the shifting really closely.

Great little car, but terribly useless for anything other then driving. Even my convertible Corvette has more trunk room. Glad I owned one and no regrets, would't buy another though - there is no replacement for displacement
Vette Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #39
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
honestly it all depends on you driving habits. if you plan on taking more than 1 passenger from time to time and wanna load up your car with stuff (hockey bag and sticks, or groceries, etc...) then the g35(your last thread was about a g35, im assuming you made a type-o with the g37 comment)

but if you plan on driving solo or taking only 1 passenger and not use your trunk for anything (cause once you put a system in there there is definitely no room) then the 350z is good

350z is a more fun car to drive, better handling more grounded and lighter

g35 is a more luxurious car to drive, more refined interior, sport tuned suspension helps with the fun, just add a front and rear strut bar like the 350z and you should have a more solid feel on turns

definitely the 06+ for both years are the right years to buy, forget oil consumption, it doesn't happen as often as you think, and if you are worried about that, then just get a non-revup (automatic, no issues). plus you get the bi-xenon headlights with projectors, led tails, better leather/interior.

Over9K, i have had my g35 coupe from 06 brand new, driving 90k on it, and the only issue i had with the engine was the belts needed to be replaced after 80k

i have loads of friends who have g35 and 350z and only a small handful of them had oil consumption issue, and those were the hardcore driving enthusiast or the 05 and lower

as long as you don't drive like you stole it every single day then you won't have any problems, keep maintenance regular, use synthetic fuel and check your coolant and brake fluid every now and then and you should be fine

of course the longer you have the car eventually things will be replaced, but that normal, they are ware and tear items

there is one thing tho, the infamous rear axle click, for 05 and older. i thought i had it(06+) got my rear axle bolt replaced under warranty, but turns out later on it wasn't the bolt, it was just a brake shim tab that was stuck out clicking the wheel.

oh and the window motor failure never happened to me either, same as the door lock actuator. i did have my driver side lower window molding replaced, popped up eventually (common for g35, but not for 350z), had it replaced under warranty
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #40
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

yep i agree,I just picked up a 06 350z touring and everything's running pretty well. haven't noticed any oil consumption problems for the time being, but have only had the car for under 1k and I filled it with some pennzoil 5w-30 synthetic motor oil so it's kind of hard to tell whether it's burning oil or not. But thus far its been a great ride, hands smoothly, and the VDC system really helps on slippery surfaces even when my rear tires are near bald.

Overall I'm quite happy with it, I honestly can't wait till I'm able to use it on a regular basis!

Last edited by mqin; 07-15-2013 at 08:40 PM.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #41

Only regret that i have about buying the car.. is that its an auto.. but had no choice since it was a family friend giving me a special deal

love the car otherwise.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #42
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
^sell it and get a 6 speed

no better feeling than a perfect shift or heel toe downshift

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
^sell it and get a 6 speed

no better feeling than a perfect shift or heel toe downshift
thinking of trading the car for a mint 2003 g35 coupe with 85k.. manual ofcoz.. I'll be on the losing end if i were to do even trade..
Old 01-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #44
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

well i ended up getting a brand new 2012 genesis 2.0T 6MT. Love this car so much. It's the most entertaining car i've ever driven. People constantly staring at it wherever I go. drives better than an 06 G35 Auto i drove and my moms 2007 525i. Couldn't ask for much more. Also the interior seems to be far superior in comparison the g35 and 350z and is on par with the g37 from what i've seen. and cant beat the 5yr 100KM warranty

RSXBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #45
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

You can compare a 2012 to a 07 g35c/350z interior wise, obviously as the years progress the interiors will have better technology...
Firmware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #46
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Awesome choice op !

My friend has the 2.0T MT as well, very nice ride

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #47

2013 with 278 or so hp upgrade compared to the 2012 one i think
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #48
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovo View Post
2013 with 278 or so hp upgrade compared to the 2012 one i think
Yeah I saw that before but it's also ugly as sin in my opinion.
RSXBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXBoii View Post
Yeah I saw that before but it's also ugly as sin in my opinion.
yes. but the rear headlight conversion is a must. Look for the KDM ones

taillights.. rather
Old 01-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #50
RS Lurker, I don't post!

u shldve just gotten a celica with a short antenna.
vanciity is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: