REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Cutting front plate?

I got two "plates not properly mounted" tickets for $196 each. Back in August and beginning of this month. I had the front plate on my dash.

I trimmed my plate so it just shows the british columbia and the numbers... since the full plate looks really bad on my bumper.

Just wondering if I should run into any problems with a customized front plate.
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
I got two "plates not properly mounted" tickets for $196 each. Back in August and beginning of this month. I had the front plate on my dash.

I trimmed my plate so it just shows the british columbia and the numbers... since the full plate looks really bad on my bumper.

Depends on how anal the officers are. Technically, the plates are the property of ICBC and not yours, so...

I've seen some people scan the plates and put a vinyl sticker of them on the front (a ferrari and a couple Lambos), and honestly the fine for no plate ($89? $137?) is less than improperly mounted, so...
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Cutting, bending or folding your plate is illegal.

Quote:
Division 3 — Display and Use of Number Plates

Prohibition
3.01 A person must not drive or operate a vehicle on a highway unless displayed on it are

(a) number plates in accordance with this Division, and
(b) if a validation decal is issued for attachment to a number plate, the validation decal in accordance with this Division.
[en. B.C. Reg. 279/2006.]

Attachment of number plates
3.011 Number plates issued for a vehicle under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act must be attached

(a) one plate to the front and one plate to the rear of the vehicle, if 2 number plates are issued for a vehicle, and
(b) to the rear of the vehicle, if a single number plate is issued for a vehicle.

Attachment of validation decal
3.012 If a validation decal is issued under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act for attachment to a number plate, it must be attached

(a) in the case of a motor vehicle licensed under the Commercial Transport Act that has a licensed gross vehicle weight exceeding 5 500 kg, to the place provided on the front number plate, or
(b) in the case of any other vehicle, to the place provided on the rear number plate.

Number plates in horizontal position
3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued.

Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

[en. B.C. Reg. 185/96, s. 1; am. B.C. Reg. 215/99, App. 1, s. 1.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
My front plate is cut and I've never had any problems whenever I'm stopped by officers. This is a really, really minor thing. They just see that the front plate is attached and visible on my bumper and that's fine.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The Police can seize any plate they find being "misused" and return it to ICBC, the plate's owners. I know of defaced plates that were seized...you "rent" them from ICBC, they are not "your" plates.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #6

I've run into some road blocks where the cops don't even mention anything about my plate. A couple of times I had NO front plate at all, not even on my dash.
So as long as its there on the front, regardless.. I assume 95% of cops will make it fly? I would assume so.

basically what I've done:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3111/img0369db.jpg

edit: btw, the tickets I got were for $196... not that cheap.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Maybe it's just me but a clean, non-trimmed, non-bent license plate looks a lot better than a hack job plate.

Considering that one deliberatly alters a plate for strictly aesthetic reasons, you either leave it as is and accept the consequences or leave the plate alone altogether.

Again, maybe it's just me.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
wow that's really cutting it close (no pun intended). most of the ones i've seen just have a bit of the bottom portion cut off/folded backwards to look better and to fit license plate brackets better. one could argue that they can't tell if the center letter is an F or an E from a bit of a distance

generally, police at roadblocks are looking for impaired drivers, not small things like no front plates or whatever so they'll usually just let you off since they're pursuing bigger crimes. i could easily see a cop pulling you over for that plate because of how small you cut it

but there's no going back since you've already done it, so i guess try it out for a few months and see what happens? you likely won't get hassled as often as you would if you didn't run a front plate at all, but you're likely going to get hassled more than the guy who just has a bit of the lower portion cut or folded
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Options to consider...keep driving with for the cut plate and risk seizure of both plates, a fine and the cost of replacing them both...or spend what..$15-$20?? and get new ones. Just a further thought, it is llegal to drive a car without plates being displayed on it and you might also find yourself paying for a tow job as well.You choose, you accept the consequences.

Prohibition
3.01 A person must not drive or operate a vehicle on a highway unless displayed on it are

(a) number plates in accordance with this Division, and
Old 11-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
Maybe it's just me but a clean, non-trimmed, non-bent license plate looks a lot better than a hack job plate.
x2

The hack job the OP has done looks like ass. A plate frame would look better than that hack job.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
x2

The hack job the OP has done looks like ass. A plate frame would look better than that hack job.
Something like this? http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/494...e_Frame_So.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
My front plate is cut and I've never had any problems whenever I'm stopped by officers. This is a really, really minor thing. They just see that the front plate is attached and visible on my bumper and that's fine.
Doesn't mean it's not still illegal - it may be a minor concern that cops won't bother with MOST of the time... but as zulu has pointed out, they're also entirely within the law to seize your plates and have your car towed, in addition to nearly $200 in fines. You get a cop who's bored and has lots of time on his hands... or has had a crappy day... or you give him attitude... or you have a bunch of other illegal ricey mods... and you may find he decides to apply the full extent of the law. (At which point you come back to RS to complain about what a douche the cop was and how we live in a police state, etc. etc.)
Quote:
Old 11-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
or you have a bunch of other illegal ricey mods...
Which is exactly why I have my front plate mounted. I want to give the cops as few reasons as possible to pull me over.

There's lots of ways to mount a full plate and make it look tasteful, no need for hack jobs.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Something like this? http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/494...e_Frame_So.jpg

Doesn't mean it's not still illegal - it may be a minor concern that cops won't bother with MOST of the time... but as zulu has pointed out, they're also entirely within the law to seize your plates and have your car towed, in addition to nearly $200 in fines. You get a cop who's bored and has lots of time on his hands... or has had a crappy day... or you give him attitude... or you have a bunch of other illegal ricey mods... and you may find he decides to apply the full extent of the law. (At which point you come back to RS to complain about what a douche the cop was and how we live in a police state, etc. etc.)
Tow my car because of a cut license plate? The chances of that are almost 0% so I'm willing to risk it.

Yes, I know it is illegal. I actually only cut it to fit my previous car and never bothered changing it because I like the numbers and its never been a problem. If a cop ever hassles me about that I'll gladly spend the $18 to fix it but like I said... probably never going to happen. It helps that my car is stockish too and the plate isn't ghetto cut at all. I've been driving almost 4 years with that license plate and not one cop mentioned it. You make it seem like cops are out to get us when most of the time they are actually quite reasonable.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Tow my car because of a cut license plate? The chances of that are almost 0% so I'm willing to risk it.
As zulu says, you are REQUIRED to display the proper plates... if the plates are bent or cut, they can be seized... and with NO plates, your car is not allowed on the road... thus, it would have to be towed.

If you do end up with that almost-0% $200 fine and tow charge, you'll sure be wishing you'd just taken the $18 new-plate option and been done with it.
Quote:
Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,165 Times in 2,401 Posts
I believe Sami Salo's GTR sports a trimmed front plate.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #16

I didn't ask if you guys like my plate or not, just asking if I should be a problem with the 5 O.
I filled the edges down so it looks normal, not seen in that pic.

I take it that it should be fine. They would probably be more interested in the other illegal mods.

ok I got my answers..
/thread
Old 11-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
I didn't ask if you guys like my plate or not, just asking if I should be a problem with the 5 O.
Didn't we answer that?

Yes, it's illegal. Will you have a problem? Maybe, maybe not. Consequences could range anywhere from a warning to a big fine and a tow.

How much of that is a "problem" is up to you.

Quote:
I take it that it should be fine. They would probably be more interested in the other illegal mods.
Keep in mind that any one thing may be enough to attract attention, which would make a cop more likely to discover those other mods. The plate may be the only one that's readily visible, but it could still be enough to get his interested piqued and lead him to look deeper, finding the other mods.

But if $18 is too much to pay to help avoid that possibility, well...
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I believe Sami Salo's GTR sports a trimmed front plate.
Sami Salo can also pay as many god damn ticket he wants with the money he earns and won't complain about it.

Don't think this is the case here.

And IIRC, it's not actually trimmed. Its actually a sticker.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Also, there are roadblocks where the police look for a lot of things on the car. I went through roadblocks where the first thing the officer did was shine a light and look at my front end to make sure I had plates and no illegal lights or reflectors. I actually had clear side reflectors on my car which I swapped back to amber that afternoon. I was lucky cause that was one of the first things he looked for.

You hit one of those types of roadblocks and they'll probably say or do something regarding a cut front plate.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Also, there are roadblocks where the police look for a lot of things on the car. I went through roadblocks where the first thing the officer did was shine a light and look at my front end to make sure I had plates and no illegal lights or reflectors. I actually had clear side reflectors on my car which I swapped back to amber that afternoon. I was lucky cause that was one of the first things he looked for.

You hit one of those types of roadblocks and they'll probably say or do something regarding a cut front plate.
Good point.

The RCMP setup on the Shell onramp to hwy 99 and do random inspections, and luckily I've driven through them several times without being pulled over. I deleted those amber reflectors from my car by using European parts (no side markers required in Europe), so its hard to tell they are missing unless a similar car is right beside. I ditched the stock parts long ago - so I wouldn't want to give the officers a reason to pull me over with something as obvious as a plate and then start looking for the not so obvious things.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #21
RS Peace Officer

As Soundy already said about making your car a target for Police attention...

WHAT IS YOUR BIRTHMARK? Gary Larson, creator of...
Old 11-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,174 Times in 184 Posts
could always run a towhook license plate
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #23
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:

i got pulled over twice before on 2 different cars with folded front plates and all i said is, its not cut its just folded and they let me go.
gc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #24
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
bumping an old thread, since this thread was made how many people have been driving with a cut/bent front license plate and how many have been hassled? Considering slightly modifying mine to fit overtop of a german license plate

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #25
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I ran a cut front plate for a while, never had any problems. Also ran no front plate and never had any problems. Also ran two different plates and never had any problems.