REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Accident - Car vs. Pedestrian

My dad got into an accident, where he hit a pedestrian walking out of no where in front of his car and hit him. The reason was that, he was driving on the inside streets and there was a big truck beside him on the right side and some idiot without looking walks out and he hit him. He didn't see that coming because it's a huge blind spot for anyone to see when there's a huge truck parked.

I'm just typing this on what I was told since I wasn't actually there with him. He has a witness that saw the person without looking for cars just walk out and got hit and also, a police was near the scene at the time and determined he wasn't speeding or negligent in any way.

The police gave him an incident number, so pretty much I just have to file this online/call icbc? Sorry since I've never gone through this process before, please bare with me. Also, my dad would have to file this? Because his first language isn't English, so I wouldn't know if they have anyone that handles other languages with icbc claims.

Thanks, your input would greatly be appreciated.
Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
My dad got into an accident, where he hit a pedestrian walking out of no where in front of his car and hit him. The reason was that, he was driving on the inside streets and there was a big truck beside him on the right side and some idiot without looking walks out and he hit him. He didn't see that coming because it's a huge blind spot for anyone to see when there's a huge truck parked.

I'm just typing this on what I was told since I wasn't actually there with him. He has a witness that saw the person without looking for cars just walk out and got hit and also, a police was near the scene at the time and determined he wasn't speeding or negligent in any way.

The police gave him an incident number, so pretty much I just have to file this online/call icbc? Sorry since I've never gone through this process before, please bare with me. Also, my dad would have to file this? Because his first language isn't English, so I wouldn't know if they have anyone that handles other languages with icbc claims.

Thanks, your input would greatly be appreciated.
Call up ICBC's Report a Claim number and file the report
You can call on his behalf, just let the operator know, you can also go in and translate for him when he needs to speak with the adjuster in the coming weeks

if u have any more questions feel free to pm or ask
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
ICBC accepts claims in many languages.

ICBC | Claim translation service
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #4

My dad filed icbc now and he is going to bring his car to ICBC to get it inspected by ICBC.

The only thing he's worried about is that the person suffered some minor knee bruises and is okay right now. But say, a month or two later on, his knee acts up and blames my dad that he hit him and comes after him for damages?

Even though we have a witness that say what happened, can the person still come after my dad?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

First thing to see is whether ICBC will find ur father at fault
If he is found at fault then the person can come after ur father / ICBC for damages (even many months later) it will be out of ur hand and ICBC will basically handle everything for u, u pay ur deductible and ur insurance rate will probably go up next yr

If he is found not at fault (i.e the pedestrian was at fault / negligent) then ur father / ICBC will not be responsible for any of his injury.... In fact ur father / ICBC can even claim the pedestrian for the damage on the car if there is any
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
I'm invisible

If its your dad's fault: ICBC will pay out any injuries damages. As long as you have adequate third party liability, then its nothing to worry about. As what Ferra said, ICBC will handle everything for payouts and etc... Increasing premiums are the least of your worries..

I've seen claims go up to hundreds thousands of dollars, but there are very rare cases...
Old 11-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

I don't see in a million light years that this will be my dad's fault. We have a witness that saw the person just walk out without looking for cars and got hit. Also there's only scratches on the hood of his car; hence, negligent driving was not involved. If he was driving recklessly then serious damage would be shown on his car.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

I don't see in a million light years that this will be my dad's fault. We have a witness that saw the person just walk out without looking for cars and got hit. Also there's only scratches on the hood of his car; hence, negligent driving was not involved. If he was driving recklessly then serious damage would be shown on his car.
hate to tell you this.....but ICBC has a STRONG tendency to find the drivers at fault when it comes to car vs pedestrian accident (regardless of circumstances or evidence)

They will put a great portion of the responsibility on the driver....i.e. saying you should have predicted pedestrian could cross on this blind spot, or you shouldn't proceed if there is this blind spot you can't see...etc etc

it is unfair but that's what ICBC do....gl to your dad
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
If its your dad's fault: ICBC will pay out any injuries damages. As long as you have adequate third party liability, then its nothing to worry about. As what Ferra said, ICBC will handle everything for payouts and etc... Increasing premiums are the least of your worries..

I've seen claims go up to hundreds thousands of dollars, but there are very rare cases...
^QFT! This is why one shouldn't buy just the minimum tpl! If your dad is found to be at fault but he is at the maximum claim rated scale discount an at fault accident won't affect his premiums.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

At least you know what to get your dad for Christmas! An accident recorder!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
dam ruthless i can't stop looking at your avatar lol
where's it from?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

ouch
skippynixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
^QFT! This is why one shouldn't buy just the minimum tpl! If your dad is found to be at fault but he is at the maximum claim rated scale discount an at fault accident won't affect his premiums.
That's kind of misleading. His discount won't change despite the change in his CRS level as the -9 to -20 level yields 43% discount. He will still lose a few steps as a result of the at-fault accident.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote