REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Credit and Debit cards.

How do you use your credit card that debit card cannot do?

For me, I use my debit card on everything(gas, grocery, clothes) and my credit card for online only.

What is your amount of limit you have on your credit card?

I heard if you use your credit card too much, would it hurt your credit score? Sorry for a n00b question but I'm just curious.
Advertisement

[29-04, 00:14] El Bastardo: Santofu isn't the hero Revscene needs, but hes the hero Revscene deserves

Last edited by Santofu; 11-26-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Always pay on time. /thread
Old 11-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I use credit card on everything expect places that only accept cash. The trick is when you get your statement middle of the month, go to online banking right away and entry the payment as a postdated transaction because the due date is usually at the end of the month (beware of weekend). This way you will never miss a payment so your credit score should only improve.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I pay off my CC bill after a couple of days online.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
I'm invisible

I use my credit on most purchases: groceries, gas, electronics, everyday use. I use cash primarily at Chinese restaurants and other small items. I usually dont carry too much cash around.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Some credit cards give rewards for usage, I'm using the MBNA Smart Cash credit card at the moment. The card gives 5% cash back (up to $600 per month I believe) for the first 6 months on all purchases (except mortgages I believe) and 3% for gas and groceries after. Imagine paying for your insurance and other larger purchases, instant cash back. If I'm going to be spending the money I might as well get something back for it. Once you reach a certain amount of points, (cash backs) you will get a cheque in the mail from MBNA.

In my opinion, the important thing is to keep track of your purchases and don't use your credit card if you cannot afford to pay it off at the end of the month. I find online banking very useful because you can track all purchases and definitely budget easier. Another benefit of online banking is paying all your bills conveniently.

My debit card doesn't get much use anymore because of the MBNA card but I will occasionally use it because not all places take credit cards as payment.

In terms of your limit, I would say it depends how often you would be using the card as well as what you would be purchasing. I would rather have a lower limit because it would somewhat stop me from making large impulse purchases. I do not believe using your credit card will hurt your credit score, I think as long as you pay off your balance at the end of the month you should be in the clear.

All in all, a credit card takes a bit of discipline and self control.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

is it true that you need to use your credit card (paying it off in time of course) in order to improve your credit? or by just having it and rarely using it will improve it also?
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtofu View Post
I heard if you use your credit card too much, would it hurt your credit score?
Sorry...but
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honyoung View Post
is it true that you need to use your credit card (paying it off in time of course) in order to improve your credit? or by just having it and rarely using it will improve it also?
It needs to be used, the trick is not allowing yourself to carry a balance in excess 50% of the total limit or to pay it off completely monthly. That shows you're capable of managing credit, and that you are not reliant on it to get by, having the card just sitting there or using it once a month for gas doesn't show them anything.

It's also important to never close an account, cut up a card and let the account sit inactive, but do not close it as that does hurt your credit score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtofu View Post
I heard if you use your credit card too much, would it hurt your credit score? Sorry for a n00b question but I'm just curious.
That's not a ridiculous question, I can see how someone inexperienced with finance might get that idea, it's carrying a large percentage of your total limit as a balance and not paying on time that dings your credit score.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

My routine:
Debit card = fast food/coffee
I carry 1 debit card

Credit card = meals/shopping/everything else
I have 1 credit card for cash back, 1 for gas, and 1 for usd purchases

Cash = asian places that only take cash or buy/sell deals

I rarely use cheques and never used bank drafts and money orders. I don't see the point of travellers cheques other than going to a developing country.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
My routine:
Debit card = fast food/coffee
I carry 1 debit card

Credit card = meals/shopping/everything else
I have 1 credit card for cash back, 1 for gas, and 1 for usd purchases

Cash = asian places that only take cash or buy/sell deals

I rarely use cheques and never used bank drafts and money orders. I don't see the point of travellers cheques other than going to a developing country.
Posted via RS Mobile
Curious....does any of your three credit card offer the paypass technology?
I'm not sure which fast food / coffee you frequent, but a lot of them now a days allow you to pay with your paypass enable Credit Card....much more convenient than entering in all that pin for debit card. Might not be a huge amount, but it still gain you a tiny bit of cash back / points or whatever.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
just got the scene visa. that's primarily my use for online

and debit/cash for everything else. Altho since now you guys mention that i should use the visa more cus the online is maybe 1-2 a month lol so i wouldnt really build a credit. So ill prob start using the visa more

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

I use my credit cards whenever possible to collect points. I pay off the full balance every month.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I use my credit card always expect for cash only places to collect my miles. but pay it off before my billing cycle,

only time I use my debit is to withdraw from ATM.
And as to amount on credit card, depending on card. usually 4x the pay is what I get offer from them. ( HK cards, Canada card I lower to 2x the pay cheque )
Old 11-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Cash is gold.
Posted via RS Mobile
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #16
xxx

I use my RBC Visa for practically everything just because it's convenient and I get points.
I use my debit card at places that don't take Visa or if I don't have enough cash on hand.
I rarely use cash except at pho places and other asian stores.

I use online banking so I pay off my balance every month and have never been late because it's so easy to manage everything with online banking. The only thing that sort of sucks with RBC's credit cards is that there are no good cashback cards.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
cash ftw
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
SiRVs up, dude

I use credit cards for Everything possible.. otherwise cash.
The points I've collected over the past 4-5 years is pretty awesome. I have 3 round trip flights to hawaii basically free!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
do they send me a notice home saying how much i have to pay off my visa card ? or do i have to go to my branch and be like i wanna pay this off ( before the end of the month ) ? im with scotia

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Use credit card to book with TBC..... almost always use debit, rarely carry cash.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #21
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

I use credit cards for everything. I am an avid point collector having over 6 different credit cards depending on certain purchases if they are over or under a certain amount, food, grocery markets, overseas etc. In the short few months I have started to collect, I have amassed enough points for two round trip tickets ex HK to Japan or one long haul return ticket ex HKG - Van. Also certain cards give me airport lounge access or many other benefits such as purchase protection etc.

I think if you know how to use a CC wisely, you should ALWAYS use it for all purchases. Purchase protection is great as well as extended warranty. Just dont be an idiot and use it for credit. Make sure you pay off all bills right before the due date and use it as a method of payment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #22
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I use MBNA Smart Card MasterCard for everything. I get a $50 cheque nearly every month.

I actually go online and pay off my purchases every few days to keep my balance at zero. That way I know exactly how much cash I have in my bank account and the cc balance never gets very high.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Everyones credit card limited may vary depending on how much the company gives you and how much you ask for. (Most starting CC's start you off with $500 limit)

As long as you can keep track of your money/spending using a credit card is no comparison to using cash/debit..

Credit cards = Rewards (cash back,travel or rewards points), balance protection, extended warrenty, price protection, insurance, builds credit rating (you'll need this if you ever plan to buy something such as a car or home), etc.. There are a lot of credit cards out there and the benefits may vary..

Debit = Theft protection? if someone mugs you you wont lose all your money cause generally even if they steal your money from your accounts the bank will reimburse you.. (They will conduct an investigation)

Cash = you lose it, its gone.. no actual benefits other then using it at some asian places that take cash only..

Also with all the new phone apps and online banking, keep track of your CC/bank balance is very easy and quick...
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #24
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I want a credit card that gives me a good rewards for travelling... the BMO Student card suxss =(

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
credit card for everything. pay off balance as of every pay day. easy as motherhood and apple pie.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote