REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Milling Machine Project

I guess this is the section to discuss tool upgrades.

I've been working on converting a manual milling machine to cnc control the past few months and finally got it powered up tonight. Need 1 more mount then I can make a part. Building this was an awesome learning experience and hopefully I will be able to make some sweet parts with it.

First day I got it (small green one)

I used the bigger mill to modify the smaller one

Machined the castings so the green machine will have longer travel distance

3 axis ac servo cnc kit from a guy that makes them in richmond

Welded up a little frame and wired up the electronics

Put the machine back together and took some measurements for a friend to make me motor mount brackets

Finally here it is just jogging around.

Remove the space in http to make the video work

ht tp://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/sdubfid/?action=view&current=bccde710.mp4
I should have the head moving up and down next weekend to make some parts.
Advertisement

Last edited by sdubfid; 11-27-2011 at 08:53 PM.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
I don't get it

Wow! Gotta get one for myself. Very impressed with your skill in making something like this work. How much are milling machines going for now?
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #3

The green one that I'm cncing was $1000 in the states. If you buy in Canada expect to pay a lot more. Price varies on size but around 1-2000 will get u something decent for a garage and hobby use
Posted via RS Mobile
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Better safe than Surrey

So jelly of you.

What CAD software are you planning on using?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
So jelly of you.

What CAD software are you planning on using?
The control software for the machine is called mach 3. I have autocad and solidworks for drawing. I'm going to get my friend to show me how to use mastercam for machining. I have so many things to learn about this stuff.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Better safe than Surrey

Yea I love Master cam for creating g-code. So much more simplified than Gibbscam bullshit. You can even CAD quite easily in Mastercam and importing is a snap.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #7

Yah I used gibbscam at work before and it looks like some guy designed the program in his basement haha. Going to get my friend to show me how to use mastercam now.

Got the machine together and running all 3 axes this weekend. I put a felt in the spindle just to test the motion. Much cheaper to crash a pen than an endmill.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

yeah i used master came in grade 10 and it was sorta easy
dueces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Verry nice. I like it!
plazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

With no software experience could you jump into mastercam or would I be better off learning cad first?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #11

I would start off with just basic cad like autocad. It's useful for many things. If you sat down with someone to ask questions you can learn all the basics in a few hours. My friend gave me a mastercam demo a couple weeks ago to show me some basics and the first night I was able to make a very basic 3d surfacing program. It was so cool. You can import a solid from solidworks and then mastercam will make all the 3d toolpaths based off of the solid.

I got the machine running and made my first test cuts. I only made a 2 inch hole in some aluminum to fit a pipe in, but it came out within .004" on the first cut. Thats without any backlash compensation or offsets so i think it's going to work awesome once everything is dialed. Won't be able to use it until february next though.

So tempted to move this into the apartment
Old 01-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I would add a enclosure and a catch basin setup to catch cutting fluid and left over metal scraps.. I added a pneumatic valve near the drill head to give a jet of compressed air once a while to clear the debris... It is useful for unattended / overnight code runs.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #13

Yah, I'm in the process of moving but it will be getting a small enclosure to contain the mess and either air or flood coolant to clear the chips. I also plan to build a toolchanger and add a 4th axis and possibly 5th axis.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Nice work mate!

I've always wanted to transform my garage into a workshop. Definitely keep us posted!
pk_volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #15

With a mill that size and with cost of farming out G code to get it done on a full size machine getting cheaper by the day.. I suggest you convert the machine to do CMM instead of adding more axis. The more axis you add, the weight you add to head.. and you loose out on clearance.

I find having a CMM on site more useful because then I can transfer anything I want to copy in house rather than the specimen offsite and have it sent back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Yah, I'm in the process of moving but it will be getting a small enclosure to contain the mess and either air or flood coolant to clear the chips. I also plan to build a toolchanger and add a 4th axis and possibly 5th axis.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth the hassle when in 10 years things will become so cut and paste that there isn't really any need to learn the ancient software.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Yah I used gibbscam at work before and it looks like some guy designed the program in his basement haha. Going to get my friend to show me how to use mastercam now.

i use MasterCam everyday, but it wasn't cheap. be prepared for a $8-$10K expense.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
With a mill that size and with cost of farming out G code to get it done on a full size machine getting cheaper by the day.. I suggest you convert the machine to do CMM instead of adding more axis. The more axis you add, the weight you add to head.. and you loose out on clearance.

I find having a CMM on site more useful because then I can transfer anything I want to copy in house rather than the specimen offsite and have it sent back.
This machine isn't for production. Just hobby use and small quantities. I do have a probe on the way to experiment with measuring things.

Obviously it's size limited but it should be capable of many things. About 20"x9"x18" xyz.

Vise arrived the other day so first official part should be next weekend.

Godwin and N.V.M- what kind of parts do you make?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #19

I use mine to make custom linkages etc for my hot rod.. I am stuffing a M70 engine into a Ford 32 body.. so there are a ton of custom brackets etc to be made.

However these days I find sourcing the models to MIM places are so much cheaper and time efficient, I use mine for CMM mainly.. Mine can just barely CMM an I6 head. I am using my mill to blueprint engine heads. Having the data digitized is much easier to modify digitally and calculate things via Matlab.. than randomly doing it with a grinder.

Quote:
This machine isn't for production. Just hobby use and small quantities. I do have a probe on the way to experiment with measuring things.

Obviously it's size limited but it should be capable of many things. About 20"x9"x18" xyz.

Vise arrived the other day so first official part should be next weekend.

Godwin and N.V.M- what kind of parts do you make?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
I'm a woodworker, my CNC's have 10' X 4' beds. I probably don't do anything that would interest you guys.
Posted via RS Mobile
N.V.M. is online now   Reply With Quote