REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 11-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Minor or no minor?

Hey guys, doesn't look like the UBC thread is very active so I'll just make a new thread, it will apply to all post secondary institutions in general anyways. So this is the situation I'm in atm. I am planning on applying for grad school after I finish my bachelor's degree. When we think of grad school we think "high gpa + tons of extracurricular experience". Now here is my problem. I am considering a minor in either psychology or food and nutrition, but this will severely restrict my elective options to ones that are in these faculties. I do not have alot of knowledge or insight to the level of difficulty of the courses within these faculties. However, I do know that there are easy gpa booster courses that will be available to me should I decide not to go with these minors. If I want to get into grad school, I would need to get as high of a gpa as I can and I'm just not too sure how easy the psych or food/nutrition courses will be.

That being said, graduating with a minor will be a good backup should I decide not to go for my masters and from what I know, will broaden my future career options.

Thoughts?
Advertisement

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
What are you currently majoring in? What year?
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
i would only minor if that subject is actually of interest to you. Most jobs i've interview never asked me if i minored in anything.

IMO i rather do co-op's than minor in a subject.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Noooo you should have posted in the UBC thread!!! This is why it always dies out...

Anyway, you still don't even have a major and you are already considering a minor? At UBC you don't choose your major until third year so take some courses and see if a particular area of study interests you and if it does then you can minor in it. Its good that you are planning far into your future though. When I was in first year I didn't really know where I was going.

Minors are actually really easy, the one drawback is it limits the choice of electives you have so your course selection might be a bit less diverse but it will also be more focused.

And for grad/professional schools make sure to keep your GPA up and try not to have shitty years (ex: a crappy first year coz you're out partying all the time, you will regret it when applying to grad school).
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Treasure Chest MOD

Depending on how much I fancy psychology, I might decide to stick with the psychology minor because it only requires 18 credits. I am currently a Kinesiology student pursuing a masters in rehabilitation.

A bit off topic but will maybe add to the discussion.

I ran into this article Not just for jocks: Kinesiology majors work hard for degrees, too : The Temple News

It seems as if people make preassumptions about kin degrees and overestimate the job opportunities it offers. A kin degree alone probably won't do much. But as a stepping stone into any health related fields/any other field in general, a kin degree pretty much triumphs over many. A friend of mine has an uncle who graduated with an sfu kin degree and used it as a stepping stone to pursue graduate studies. He is now a neurosurgeon making close to $500,000/ year haha.. I find studying kin really practical because it relates so much to the body and we aren't just learning about particles in space. Most of the health jobs that science students aim for have close to nothing to do with chemicals or particles.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Noooo you should have posted in the UBC thread!!! This is why it always dies out...

Anyway, you still don't even have a major and you are already considering a minor? At UBC you don't choose your major until third year so take some courses and see if a particular area of study interests you and if it does then you can minor in it. Its good that you are planning far into your future though. When I was in first year I didn't really know where I was going.

Minors are actually really easy, the one drawback is it limits the choice of electives you have so your course selection might be a bit less diverse but it will also be more focused.

And for grad/professional schools make sure to keep your GPA up and try not to have shitty years (ex: a crappy first year coz you're out partying all the time, you will regret it when applying to grad school).
The thing is that my faculty doesn't have majors but streams. We have 3 streams and one of those streams allows me to take up a minor. Ultimately, if I don't get the grades I expect to get, I can retake certain courses right?
Shits so competitive nowadays... I might even decide to move to foregin countries for better job opportunities...

Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I cant speak for you but I doing comm and my advice is to choose w/e interested you. Im also doing a minor in psyc and its hardly easy, way too much materials. At least I'm enjoying the lecture. I picked Math initially as minor and gave up because I found out I have no interest in it.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I major in business (marketing) and minor in human geography.

The reason for geography? I took a bunch of geog courses as my electives and fell in love with urban geography. I try to take at least one geography course a semester because it allows me to think critically and write. It's a nice change from all the business bull shit.

Right now my CGPA is 3.7 (out of 4.33). But believe it or not, my geography courses' CGPA is around 3.3 while my business courses are close to a 4.0. I want to get into law school in the near future and I regret minoring in geography. I'd be close to a 3.9 without some of those courses.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post

The reason for geography? I took a bunch of geog courses as my electives and fell in love with urban geography. I try to take at least one geography course a semester because it allows me to think critically and write. It's a nice change from all the business bull shit.

Right now my CGPA is 3.7 (out of 4.33). But believe it or not, my geography courses' CGPA is around 3.3 while my business courses are close to a 4.0. I want to get into law school in the near future and I regret minoring in geography. I'd be close to a 3.9 without some of those courses.
Sounds like a great combo to go into Urban Planning. Friend did something similar and makes great income in Calgary.

Just a thought, if law doesn't work out.
Posted via RS Mobile
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Sounds like a great combo to go into Urban Planning. Friend did something similar and makes great income in Calgary.

Just a thought, if law doesn't work out.
Posted via RS Mobile

I'm getting my real-estate license in March(-ish) and that's my back-up plan.

Believe it or not, when I first got into university, urban planning was what I wanted to do. I guess I'm just attracted to the bright lights and opportunities a city has to offer.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

If you really wanna learn something, nobody says you have to pay tuition or take the tests to go to the lectures. Borrow an old text book while you're at it.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post

It looks like were heading down the same route. Have to taken 393 yet?

OT: I really dont think a minor is going to kill you later on. Just work hard on it, just make sure you balance the courses you are minoring with the ones with your majoring in. Or just take a full course load back and forth with your minor and major courses. I am planning to do that since I dont want to switch my thinking cap back and forth
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote