REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Remember that Veyron that crashed into a lagoon? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/658744-remember-veyron-crashed-into-lagoon.html)

Senna4ever 12-01-2011 08:52 AM

Remember that Veyron that crashed into a lagoon?

Insurer calls crash of $1.2 million car fraud - Houston Chronicle

GALVESTON - Lufkin auto dealer Andy House had no idea a video camera was running as his $1.2 million Bugatti Veyron EB plunged into a La Marque lagoon two years ago.

House told police that a seagull made him veer off the Interstate 45 feeder road and into 3 feet of salt water.

The video taken by a passing motorist, which was posted on Youtube, and information from a confidential informant led Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance Co. to accuse House in a federal lawsuit of intentionally driving his car into the lagoon in order to collect the $2.2 million insurance on the car. It had a 1,001 horsepower engine capable of propelling it to 253 mph.

House, who sells exotic cars, denies the accusation and has countersued the insurance company for failing to pay as promised. His attorney was not immediately available for comment.

House told police that he was retrieving his dropped cell phone from the floorboard and looked up to see a seagull heading straight for him. The insurance company says the video shows no seagull and no attempt to brake as the Bugatti swerves off the road and into the water. The lawsuit also says that House allowed the engine to run for 15 minutes after the car entered the water, causing further damage to the engine.

House explained the delay in shutting off the engine by saying he was being bitten by mosquitoes, the lawsuit says.

A confidential informant told insurance investigators that House offered to pay the informant to steal the car and burn it so that House could collect the insurance money, the lawsuit says. House also offered to pay the informant to remain silent during the insurance investigation, the lawsuit says.

The informant told investigators that House's business associate, Lloyd Gillespie, conspired with House. Gillespie, also a defendant in the lawsuit, lent House the money to buy the Bugatti and was listed on the policy as the payee, the lawsuit says.

Gillespie has denied the allegations in court filings. His attorney, Tod Philips, declined comment.

A trial date for the lawsuit, filed in June 2010, has not been set.

InvisibleSoul 12-01-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

House explained the delay in shutting off the engine by saying he was being bitten by mosquitoes
LOL WUT?

Strong explanation there... definite winning that court case.

And why was there a $2.2M insurance policy on a $1.2M car?

NSX 12-01-2011 09:09 AM

^^LOL, such a stupid excuse to give.
Just say, " I just crashed my car in the river. The first thing I would do is take off my seat belt and turn off the ignition....righttttttt"

gretzky 12-01-2011 09:09 AM

o shit a seagull, i should drive the car into the ocean instead of breaking or switching over to the left lane...

Senna4ever 12-01-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretzky (Post 7710821)
o shit a seagal, i should drive the car into the ocean instead of breaking or switching over to the left lane...

If it were Steven Seagal, hitting him would not have been a big loss to the thespian community. :p

kwy 12-01-2011 09:34 AM

What a fucking greasy slimeball.

Glove 12-01-2011 09:38 AM

hahahaha, owning a bugatti,

always got a camera on you,

this guy is fucked for fraud that video has him red handed

twitchyzero 12-01-2011 09:44 AM

hilarity ensues

Jsunu 12-01-2011 09:53 AM

Holy hell the mosquitoes bit is just too much. How can being bitten my insects delay you in any way to turn off your engine.

jpark 12-01-2011 10:04 AM

wutta bitch

niu99 12-01-2011 10:11 AM

i know a few friends that did similar stuff to fraud icbc. hehehe

Manic! 12-01-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niu99 (Post 7710865)
i know a few friends that did similar stuff to fraud icbc. hehehe

I call B.S.

Glove 12-01-2011 10:29 AM

I remember shady characters back in high school who used to pretend to steal their own cars and then torch them, for insurance money

they always seemed to get away with it too.

shit probably wouldnt fly now though

Meowjin 12-01-2011 12:50 PM

^every post I see from you is stupid.

- kT 12-01-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretzky (Post 7710821)
Bugatti Veyron Lake Crash-- Original Video- 1st hand account - YouTube

o shit a seagull, i should drive the car into the ocean instead of breaking or switching over to the left lane...

i lol'd

"pretty sure that's a lambo dude"
"ohh- ohhhhh he wen- OHHHH OH SHIT. OHHHH SHIT OHHH SHI- ca-"

Zyzz 12-01-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7710808)

House explained the delay in shutting off the engine by saying he was being bitten by mosquitoes, the lawsuit says.

http://www.dweebist.com/wp-content/u...ical-house.jpg

InvisibleSoul 12-01-2011 01:25 PM

You know life isn't fair when someone this stupid gets a chance to get behind the wheel of a vehicle this expensive.

G-spec 12-01-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7711070)
You know life isn't fair when someone this stupid gets a chance to get behind the wheel of a vehicle this expensive.

quoted for teh truth..

you know how it is with rich people, they have this sense of entitlement, and belief in their actions like whatever they do is proper...
this douchebag is a pretty extreme case, so much OVERWHELMING evidence against him, I actually hope he gets his day in court, I hope it's a long prolonged case, and in the end he loses and has to pay all the court and lawyer fees, that'd be pretty schaweeet..

unfortunately for douchebags like this, in his mind it will still be thought that nothing was his fault

Harvey Specter 12-01-2011 02:07 PM

LOL, buddy got OWNED.

JSALES 12-01-2011 02:28 PM

what a stupid fucking excuse

Prolowtone 12-01-2011 03:48 PM

Those blood sucking bastards lolhttp://www.picturesof.net/_images_30...439-618053.jpg

XplicitLuder 12-01-2011 05:32 PM

1. That will one day be mine
2. pretty sure it's a lambo
3. It's actually a bugatti
4. ???
5. fail profit

NLY 12-01-2011 05:35 PM

Thank god they captured everything on video.

pastarocket 12-01-2011 08:33 PM

It just goes to show you what some people will do to get money.

Speaking of super car crashes, remember Eddie Griffin and the poor Enzo?

Brother can't drive, LOL:

shenmecar 12-01-2011 08:42 PM

Cell phone?! Seagull?! Mosquitoes?! :fuckthatshit: