REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Looking for - grinding wheel or similar

anybody know where i can go to get a piece of metal grinded down? basically I have an L shaped piece (it's a dead pedal for a car) and i want half of it grinded/cut off so i have a flat dead pedal piece. anybody know where i can get this done? maybe somebody who's an apprentice at a metal shop or something can help me out?

thanks in advance

edit/ i'd prefer if it wasn't one of those portable ones. looking for something like this:

to just basically grind a piece of the metal off

here's the pedal, you can see on the right side there's more metal, hence the L shape i was referring to. i want that part removed so i have a flat piece

one more photo of a dead pedal i found online, that piece on the right that wraps is the part i want taken off

Advertisement

Last edited by - kT; 12-02-2011 at 08:34 PM.
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,507 Times in 486 Posts
Is it stainless or aluminum?
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
【=◈︿◈=】

Aluminum (to my knowledge)
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 10,860 Times in 4,528 Posts
Grinding aluminum is difficult and messy. It can be done using specialized wheels. Much better to cut the piece.

I have access to one of these Power Tools - Band Saws - M18™ Cordless LITHIUM-ION Band Saw Kit, but it has a throat capacity of just over 3 inches. Larger band saw with proper blade or even a sabre saw (scroll saw) would work, although you would have to be extremely careful with it. After cutting, sand the thing with coarse grit, if the cut is not perfect.

There are much better ways to cut your piece, but the sabre saw is quick and dirty. Most people who have tools have one. Just make sure you have the right blade for the job and a steady hand, some patience, and a good eye.

Another possibility is using an angle grinder with a specialty disc, but again, it's going to be messy. Much better to cut than to grind anything more than 1/2 an inch of material along its length.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Spoiler!

not gonna lie, that's what i thought before coming in here.
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
no

Thanked 5,979 Times in 1,205 Posts
^LOL

in for some help as well, a small nipple formed on my slave cylinder rod and needs to be slightly grinded down, its causing the clutch to be sticky at times

anyone?
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
this is one of the days when keeping in touch with your tech ed hs teachers years and years ago would help hahahaha

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,172 Times in 373 Posts
dont grind aluminum on a grinder like that, it will clog the wheels. If it were me I would just zip it off close with a cutoff wheel and then finish it with a flap wheel.

You can buy a hand grinder for $20 at princess auto(I have one and have beat on it for 3 years with no issue), a cutoff wheel for $2 and a high grit flap wheel for $3. Then you will have tools to do many more jobs yourself.

If you are ever in the coquitlam area I can do it. I welded an intercooler pipe for another genesis guy on here named Noriel. Pm me if interested
Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 10,860 Times in 4,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
this is one of the days when keeping in touch with your tech ed hs teachers years and years ago would help hahahaha
Yup, it's amazing how handy it is to make friends with local HS teachers in the Tech Ed department.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,437 Times in 4,287 Posts
+1 on the cut-off wheel.

Angle grinder with a cutoff disc and clean off the edge with a file.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
man, do i hear that

turns out i had everything i needed at work. ended up taking a disc cutter, chopping a lump off, then grinded down the remainder

thanks for the help!