REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Yielding to Emergency Vehicles

“Well, I thought that you were trying to catch that car ahead of me.” This is a common reply when drivers are stopped to explain why they didn’t pull over for the police vehicle trying to catch an obvious violator. The vehicle ahead of these drivers might be the object of the pursuit, but how is that driver to know?

The driver doesn’t need to know. On the approach or an emergency vehicle, police, fire or ambulance, that is sounding a siren and showing a flashing red light a driver must yield the right of way and IMMEDIATELY drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the nearest edge of the roadway clear of an intersection, STOP, and REMAIN STOPPED until the emergency vehicle has passed. A driver doesn’t have to consider who is being pulled over because EVERYONE must pull over and stop. This includes drivers on BOTH SIDES OF THE ROADWAY regardless how many lanes wide it might be.

What if you don’t hear a siren? This doesn’t mean that one is not being used as emergency vehicles approaching from the rear are seldom heard before they are seen if the driver is paying attention. Pull over and stop even if you don’t hear a siren as this will avoid possible charges if you are in error.

Consider for a moment that when you require one of the emergency services it is very important to you that they arrive as soon as possible. You would appreciate other drivers making room to keep that precious time short, wouldn’t you? Regardless of what the law might say you must be prepared to extend that same courtesy to others by getting out of the way yourself.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
What about on the highways?
Do people actually pull over and stop on the side or they slow down on the right side until an emergency vehicle pass by?

[29-04, 00:14] El Bastardo: Santofu isn't the hero Revscene needs, but hes the hero Revscene deserves
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Pull over? In Vancouver? They don't even stop let alone pull over. If they stop they just stop in butt fuck nowhere and block the way.

I sincerely wish we have a driver training system like some European country. It has become increasingly dangerous to drive.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

If it's a roadway with a concrete median in the middle, then do you need to stop for the emergency vehicle coming the other way?
You know they won't go into your lane because they physically can't due to the divider.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

^ I dont think you need to in that case but I could be wrong. If the divider is low enough though then you should.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
If it's a roadway with a concrete median in the middle, then do you need to stop for the emergency vehicle coming the other way?
You know they won't go into your lane because they physically can't due to the divider.
Be cognizant of the fact that we may need to enter oncoming lanes to get around a back-log of traffic in our "proper" lanes of travel. I personally try to avoid it as its highly risky and people's knowledge of what to do is even less than if you're behind them, waiting for them to move aside so you can pass. I've done it a few times (again, I avoid it wherever possible) and see other police, fire and ambulance do it all the time.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #7

Actually just saw that happen yesterday on grandview hwy westbound. Ambulance entered oncoming lane because of traffic, passed the point where there is no more center divider and merged back in.

I think it is best to stop and wait for them to pass you if you see the ambulance behind. And proceed to keep a distance, 150 meters?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Edit: I can't read, nevermind
Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Be cognizant of the fact that we may need to enter oncoming lanes to get around a back-log of traffic in our "proper" lanes of travel. I personally try to avoid it as its highly risky and people's knowledge of what to do is even less than if you're behind them, waiting for them to move aside so you can pass. I've done it a few times (again, I avoid it wherever possible) and see other police, fire and ambulance do it all the time.
What I meant is that I'm in the middle of a stretch where there is a divider and the ambulance has already passed the point where they can enter. There is no way for them to come into my direction of travel anymore unless they go past us and do a U-turn, and when that happens, then they will be behind me and then I would have to stop.

But if they are on the oncoming traffic and there is no way they can come across into your direction of travel until they are passed where you are, do you still have to stop?
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote